Quantcast

Not sold on the Manitou Sherman Breakout+

Tharkun

Monkey
Nov 21, 2004
Hey,

Got a '05 Sherman breakout + on my new bike. It feels like a great fork, but I don't know how solid and stiff it is. When I first got the bike the fork wasn't holding the wheel tight. I did the hold-wheel-between-legs stiffness test and it didn't seem too amazing. Now when I hold the front brake and just sort of push the bike back and forth there is some play in the fork I think. Has anyone else had these sort of problems with their Shermans?

Thanks,
Cam

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
Tharkun said:
Hey,

Got a '05 Sherman breakout + on my new bike. It feels like a great fork, but I don't know how solid and stiff it is. When I first got the bike the fork wasn't holding the wheel tight. I did the hold-wheel-between-legs stiffness test and it didn't seem too amazing. Now when I hold the front brake and just sort of push the bike back and forth there is some play in the fork I think. Has anyone else had these sort of problems with their Shermans?

Thanks,
Cam
I've got two Sherman forks, and neither one had any play when new.
First, check your axle to make sure the wheel is securely fastened. Ie: make sure the axle is tightened before the pinch bolts.
And likely any play you feel when holding the brakes and rocking the bike fore/ aft is in the brakes. Hold the brakes locked w/ one hand and put your other hand at the top of the lowers around the stanchion. If you can feel some fore/ aft movement there (and not just up/ down, sometimes it's tough to discern), then you may have some bushing tolerance issues.

AN6 Freerider

Monkey
Feb 18, 2005
socal
i have a sherman firefly and love it i will have my slider plus next week and my breakout plus 2 weeks after that for my new bike and i have seen the sherman forks in action and i have ridin the sherman forks and love them.. manitou did a great job on the fork in my opinion. and as they get deeper in generations its gettting better and better..

AN6

test it in the mountains or on some jumps and drops not inbetween your legs

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've got the breakout plus on my sinister ridge. By far my favorite fork of all time. I haven't noticed any "flexiness" in the last 8 mos. of riding and it's saved my @ss on a few occasions too. It's a great fork in my opinion...

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
AN6 Freerider said:
hey im doing the exact same set up on the sinister ridge how do you like that bike . is it good with drops and hucks and jumps???
I've been on this setup for almost a year now. It's my favorite all time combination. It replaced a banshee morphine/02 monster. I really think the sinister/breakout+ is just as burly as what the morphine was but a LOT lighter. I ride in Pisgah and on the local trails and I'm totally satisfied with it. I've done a few 10' to tranny drops on it with no problems at all. It's a VERY solid set up in my opinion.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I, too, switched to a Breakout this year ('03). I went from an '02 Monster to the Breakout on my Imperial. (Used to be a die-hard Marzocchi fan). I thought that this fork might just be only temporary for me until later this season, but so far I'm very impressed with the fork. I looked so little compared to the Monster - I thought it was gonna be a noodle. I've done quite a few trail rides with it so far and will test it out for DH if I go to Whiteface this weekend. Good fork!

toby

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
Manitou makes some really nice stuff i think. I have an 04 Sherman Breakout and I love it

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
just got a breakout + on my new C-dale gemni 900 and i love it so far. stiffness or strengh has not been an issue. rode some flexless endos and a 7 foot drop to a ****ty trany. no problems. make sure it's on right and trust it.

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
just ordered one plus an extra firm spring thanks to allen @ dropnzone.
hopefully it will rock pretty hard. seems to be very versatile, and ought to make a hand. we'll see soon enough though.

ctrailfreak

Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Independence,Mo
Did this guy check his rotor bolts on the wheel first by any chance? If you notice play when holding the brake and pushing the fork forward... It may just be a loose rotor instead of bushings inside the fork. It happens.