Quantcast

NOT sponsored by Maxxis OR Sharpie thread.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
some questions werent meant to be answered.

it is pretty damn stupid tho
Yeah MM doesnt quite fit the name when they have the dirty dan as the mud specific tire. Although the MM is the most well rounded tire and yes it doesnt do full GOO mud. (for FULL blow cr@p you want a dedicated spike anywase) But it does do from dry loose to pretty nasty mud and covers the widest variety of terrain and does it better than any other tire Ive tried to date. I have a set of the rain Kings here (buddy gave em to me to try and see) and they are nice but not enough to get me off the Marys...

But the DD center knobs can be trimmed down a little and make for a great mud intermediate tire.... from semi nasty to full blown YUCK.... It allows for better hard pack say top of the mtn and alloes it to really get nasty in the runoff section below in the spring and wetter months...

Last edited:

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Just because the tread looks some what the same doesn't mean they are damn near copies. :rolleyes:
Bingo. People seem to forget that most of the tires are "moto copies" anyways (especially a comp 32). And most moto tires "look pretty similar" too. Who the hell cares? There aren't that many ways to make a tire for a given condition/purpose. I guess people always wanna believe that whatever their using/designing is something amazing and innovative when it's really just inevitable.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
I'm no pro, but the Kenda KOT is the fast rolling mud-specific tire I've ever ridden, and also seems to hold shape better in hard, dry corners without 70psi in the damn things. I'm still missing a chunk of elbow from the last time I ran a Scream... silly little knobs. And come to think of it...I had my Screams all trimmed down too.
KOTs in mud, Telonix of all things deep, loose and dry.

But again, I'm just a guy.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
And Mick has always seemed to be pretty loyal to his sponsors and what they want. I believe he's also one of the few, if not the only, running the Vivid Air loyaly for races. He's been pulling some good numbers lately, hopefully he's found his groove!

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Time to revive. WCs won by a rider not sponsored by Maxxis or Sharpie. It seems like there finally are real options in the tire game.

Hart - Schwalbe
Spagnolo -Maxxis
Blenki - Sharpie? (sometimes I see Hutchinson logos, sometimes no logos)
Fairclough - Specialized
Pascal - Schwalbe?

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I see you are assuming what state of wear I throw my tires out at and what compound I use. I don't race so I wear them down until the grip is far, far less than new and use a 60a rear. I wouldn't want to race on tires that have more than a few days on them. Bike tire prices are stupid high IMO.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
I have to say the Continental DH tires are SICK when ran tubeless!!!! No problems at all!!!!!! They are on Par if not better than the Michelin old Comp 16 and 24 which I have compared all DH tires to for years.. It's hard for me to say that due to being a Michelin rider for so many years. I have found a new home with the Continentals!!!!

Cecil :thumb:

Pslide

Turbo Monkey

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
if youre wearing down a 60a tire that fast, then you are certainly doing it wrong. or maybe you like to do awesome skids. in that case, i approve
lol, yeah, skids are cool.

Also, 1 day at the lifts here can be 20,000' of descending, and the terrain in CO is kinda abrasive. My front 3c and rear 60a wear out in about the same time, the front from sideknob wear, the rear more from the braking knobs wearing out... I'm no pro but I'm not a brake dragger either.