Quantcast

Now, im not sure this should really be in the DH section. Hehe.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
filthy light, and this is with a splattering of Britains finest mud.

Amazingly, its not skittish at all, im running a fair amount of damping at both ends, well, asmuch as you can with a DHX, and it pedals like a dream, soaks up everything it needs to, and doesnt sag too far and lose its angles.

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
ALrighty.

Frame:Session 88 Dh (medium)
Shock: DHX 5.0
SPring: Nuke Proof Ti 350x2.75
Forks:2009 40RC2
WHeels: Pro2/719/Revolution (Hey, i only weigh 137lb's)
Tyres: 2.35 Dual ply highrollers
Tubes: Welter Weights (could shed another 200g!)
Brakes: New Style XT, 203/185
Cranks:Saint M810
PEdals:Wellgo MG-1
Guide:MRP G2
Chain:**** knows
Mech/Shifter: Sram X.0
Bars: Nuke Proof Warhead
Grips:ODI Ruffian L-O
Stem: Sunline direct mount
Seat: Bel air SL I Beam
Clamp: Hench trek thing
Headset: Cane Creek flush reducermajigg

thats everything i believe?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Is it just me or are those those Mavic 719 rims?

edit: yup

Do you race it? I thought they have real tracks in Britain

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'd call BS on the weight, but after seeing the catastrophic failure on Danice Uyesugi's bike at Le Bresse, methinks Trek may have gone a little overboard on making a light frame....

pics here:

http://www.daniceuyesugi.com/

edit: pics are gone, but the joint at the seat tube / top tube / upper pivot broke apart COMPLETELY, and there was a dent in the top tube near this area.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I was at that weight not that long ago and 719s would still be to light. Unless the tracks have no roots and stones, you make zero mistakes and are more smooth than my pickup lines than I seriously doubt the rims will live. A showcase bike for me.

It could be done much smarter with stans ztrs with some good ust tires like schwables...

BTW. Is it only a rumor or is it true that trek moved the date of 2nd batch of sessions to make them at least a bit more durable?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
i believe it has some truth to it.

i will be changing the wheels over to a pro2/823 combination, running single plys tubeless for ther local area and dual plys tubeless in the alps. gotta have it all sorted by august as im spending a week in fort william, and 719's will not make it!!

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO
I'd call BS on the weight, but after seeing the catastrophic failure on Danice Uyesugi's bike at Le Bresse, methinks Trek may have gone a little overboard on making a light frame....

pics here:

edit: pics are gone, but the joint at the seat tube / top tube / upper pivot broke apart COMPLETELY, and there was a dent in the top tube near this area.
so you are saying a guy shaped like me would not get a full season out of this bike?

Jan 4, 2007
California
I believe it.
2.35 highrollers are pretty small...
Lots of Ti bits, when you have a frame made of recycled beer cans. It better be quality!

I'll gladly ride my 39lb DHR over a 34-36lb 8-9" bike ANY day.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ

pics here:

J-Lo reckons his bike in "race" trim was under 36lbs, and it wasnt built as light as that bike is!:clue:

And I defy any bike to come through that crash without some damage !!:crazy:

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
Lets be honest here. If riders are being put in danger, we should all know about it. This is not aimed specifically at Trek but any manufacturer who is willingly selling a sub-standard bike/part.

If the crash was as knarly as its being made out to be, how come Danice walked away from it with maybe a few torn rotator cuff muscles? Why were the pictures and video pulled?

That crash happened about 10 meters from where I was standing and it was my friend that captured these photos of her. For my mind, it wasnt the HUGE off that it is being made out to be, certainly not to the point where the bike was completely written off! Sure the stress on that Boxxer might have been enough to break it, but no way should the frame have needed to be binned. How many here have needed a complete new frame from going over the bars? Broken levers, bent bars, sure, but A NEW FRAME!!! :crazy:

Also, wasnt there a session 88 broken at the Red Bull rampage as well? If Trek have gotten it wrong, they need to man up and admit their frames are light but doubtful in strength, or prove otherwise.

The crash was just as she had entered the last steep section of the track. As she went over the first drop her real wheel hit a rock flipping her forward. From then on she was a passenger. Her speed would not have been excessive.

Maybe it was a freakish crash that put enormous amounts of stress on the frame, but from seeing it happen in person, I doubt it.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Any higher res pics out there? I'm starting to wonder if the frame broke before this girl crashed. Not trying to start any rumors, but that sure was an odd point of failure given the pics posted above.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
so you are saying a guy shaped like me would not get a full season out of this bike?
I'm amazed you get a full season out of any bike, you look like freakin' Grimus.

J-Lo reckons his bike in "race" trim was under 36lbs, and it wasnt built as light as that bike is!:clue:

And I defy any bike to come through that crash without some damage !!:crazy:

This is def true. But its more the location of the failure and the fact that it completely sheared the seat tube, broke the rocker arm pivot, and majorly dented the top tube that's worth noting. You don't see many failures like this. However, I have a suspicion that it may not necessarily have been a production frame - perhaps something a little more trimmed down for the WC teams.

That being said, in the <1 month the DH season has been going here in the Northeast, I've already seen 2 sheared head tubes.

Bikes brake. It happens. I'm no WC level rider, and at higher speeds I'd imagine things break much more spectacularly. Just good to see that no was severely hurt.

And yes, there was a damaged Trek Session at the Rampage. It was a folded/dented top tube. But it was from a cased 60 foot gap.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
And yes, there was a damaged Trek Session at the Rampage. It was a folded/dented top tube. But it was from a cased 60 foot gap.
As far as I know the only damage was to the rear rim (not completely destroyed) and the frame buckled around the top/down tube. I would rather have two wheels broken when I case a jump then my frame buckled.

Maybe the same with the La Bresse crash. would have been nicer if other parts failed in stead of the frame.

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
That's what I said. :lighten:
I know. I just wanted to add that there wasnt any more damage then only a bent rear rim and buckled frame. You made it sound like every frame would have been damaged after casing a 60ft gap, to be clear I think a frame is supposed to survive something like that unless your wheels and fork are also completely destroyed.

Last edited:

swaussie

Chimp
Apr 14, 2009
I think a cased 60ft gap would be good enough reason for a catastrophic failure and possibly why nothing more was said about it. But in this case I think a real issue should be raised. You see dozens of worse crashes on youtube, vimeo, etc. Heck, when Berrecloth crashes at Crankworx in the Seasons vid, I wonder if his frame broke? That was a hell of a lot worse than Danice's crash.

It would be nice if Trek would come out and state why the frame broke in her crash. Was it indeed tremendous forces or was it a "special" frame that relates in no way to the frames they sell to us. I was going to buy a Session 88, but not now. I weigh 200lbs and crash often, last thing I want is to be sending back frames every weekend or have the thing snap beneath me when I get a landing wrong!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I know. I just wanted to add that there wasnt any more damage then only a bent rear rim and buckled frame. You made it sound like every frame would have been damaged after casing a 60ft gap, to be clear I think a frame is supposed to survive something like that unless your wheels and fork are also completely destroyed.
Ya but how many people do you know that go around doin' 60 foot gaps on a regular basis? :cheers:

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Well, ive spoken to Trek UK about generally the sessions strengh, and about the denting issues aswel, and they were really good about it, but they just hadnt heard about it themselves before! the issue is, everyone moans about them on the internet, but nobody has bothered to actually notify trek of the issue themselves, so when i called trek, the bloke on the end of the phone was genuinely surprised to hear it.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
apart from the rims, looks like a solid build. toss on some flows / tubeless & lighter cranks and you'd hit a low 34lbs.

as sweet as that frame is (aesthetically, anyways), i'm a bit skeptical as to the wisdom of pushing aluminum to such low weight (ie, minimal wall thickness) extremes. structural strength under normal riding conditions aside, dh frames (at least those sold to the public) have to be (well, should be) built to withstand a bit of impact damage, and have reasonable longevity (especially at that price point).

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Weeeell, the rims im going to be changing to 823's probably, which will add around 400g over the entire wheelset. in doing so, i can run tubeless, meaning i drop 600g from my current tubes, aswel as the fact i can run single plys ( can you get away with it?), which will cut another 500 of rotational, while ending up with a stronger wheelset.

had a look at my lower downtube area, its pretty savage, chips 'n' dents all over the menu.

dest

Monkey
Aug 1, 2006
NYCity
Well, ive spoken to Trek UK about generally the sessions strengh, and about the denting issues aswel, and they were really good about it, but they just hadnt heard about it themselves before! the issue is, everyone moans about them on the internet, but nobody has bothered to actually notify trek of the issue themselves, so when i called trek, the bloke on the end of the phone was genuinely surprised to hear it.
i dont know but i'm a wholesaler(not bike related) and everytime somebody makes a complaint about quality issues a also act genuinely surprises even though i have heard about it numerous times...:biggrin: thats the way it is...

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
If you're halfway smooth, and the wheels are built halfway decently, you'll probably be fine on the 719s.

I was in a pinch a couple summers ago and laced up an old, crappy Sun CR18 hoop to my 440FR hub on the rear of my VP-Free. Then I went to Whistler and rode the wheel for 3 days. I bent a derailleur, took off about half the tread on my tires, and, after multiple failures, mastered the 4x track. I hit lots of doubles, crashed a lot of times, and even had to sit out a couple runs because my ankle got banged up in a magical (and probably really funny) overshoot which resulted in a very hard landing. That rear wheel ended up a little out of true, and had a small flat spot, but that's it.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Details, this that, blah - I can say dont make assumptions about rider condition vs bike condition having anything to do with crash severity. I personnally survived a car wreck that left the front clip in the drivers compartment, and me into the back seat, removed by jaws of life - a welt on my forehead, thats it!

ALSO - having seen the above pics of the damage, I was noticing the second action pic:

that fork is spun, and pile driven into the ground, a broken headtube would be the 1st on my list of whats breaks next, and a boatload of tortion on that frame.

That is def a hard nose in hit!

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Weeeell, the rims im going to be changing to 823's probably, which will add around 400g over the entire wheelset. in doing so, i can run tubeless, meaning i drop 600g from my current tubes, aswel as the fact i can run single plys ( can you get away with it?), which will cut another 500 of rotational, while ending up with a stronger wheelset.

had a look at my lower downtube area, its pretty savage, chips 'n' dents all over the menu.
noooooo!!!! single ply tires cant take any side loads with out being inflated as insane pressures. ruins the ride.

another vote to go for stan's flow rims. keep the dual ply tires.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
that fork is spun, and pile driven into the ground, a broken headtube would be the 1st on my list of whats breaks next, and a boatload of tortion on that frame.

That is def a hard nose in hit!
That's an amazing set of photos. I like that you can see the fork twisting in the first couple pics, then the arch has completely snapped free in the last one.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
These weights crack me up..

Open invite @ the US OPEN.

Anyone with a Trek that believes its weight is under 38lb PM me, come to my teams trailer and weigh on our scale. If your Trek is under 38lb and DH worthy a 6 pack is on me. If not, post up on these forums you were full of sht.

DH Worthy = DH Tubes, Dual ply tire, triple crown fork and non cross country wheels.

Last edited:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
These weights crack me up..

Open invite @ the US OPEN.

Anyone with a Trek that believes its weight is under 38lb PM me, come to my teams trailer and weigh on our scale. If your Trek is under 38lb and DH worthy a 6 pack is on me. If not, post up on these forums you were full of sht.

DH Worthy = DH Tubes, Dual ply tire, triple crown fork and non cross country wheels.
with a 10lb frame, sub 38 is easy w/ a wc worthy build.

NY_Star

Turbo Monkey
I think that there are plenty of ways to make a light bike with out having it snap in half. My Foes DHS is around 40Lbs. That is with Real DH Tires, Flow Wheels, XT Cranks and almost no Ti on the bike. (Dura-Ace Cassette). If you are running Single Ply Tires, skinny tubes, and other XC parts i hope you like having a large collection of broken parts because that is what you will get. Renning had a fairly hard crash in almost the same section, not quite the same but he weights in at over 200. That bike did not crack.