Quantcast

Now, im not sure this should really be in the DH section. Hehe.

JewBagel

Monkey
Apr 22, 2008
oregon
These weights crack me up..

Open invite @ the US OPEN.

Anyone with a Trek that believes its weight is under 38lb PM me, come to my teams trailer and weigh on our scale. If your Trek is under 38lb and DH worthy a 6 pack is on me. If not, post up on these forums you were full of sht.

DH Worthy = DH Tubes, Dual ply tire, triple crown fork and non cross country wheels.
My jedi is under 38 w/steel spring and 09 boxxer team. I'm running tubeless DHF/R on 823's and no skimping in other places. It's not hard to make a durable bike at that weight. The only reason the session are having problems is because they are too thin. The frame is like 7.2-7.3 w/o shock, a lb less than my jedi, that's a lot of missing safety factor.

More e-rumors and what not. From what I've heard they made 400 and are replacing the broken ones to get a look at where they need to beef them up so that the next ones will have still be light, but stronger. No matter how much FEA you do you'll still have overloading instances unless you really overbuild it. Real world testing is still the best and what's better than having a few hundred riders testing the bike. I've ridden one and if I still worked at a Trek dealer and didn't have my Jedi I would have bought one. Trek is really good with warranty items, last summer we sent in a broken a 2002 fuel and they replaced it with out hassle.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
dh tubes? didn't know anyone used them anymore.... :o
You don't go fast enough to worry about DH tubes;)

Offer still stands on the Trek. A guy told me this weekend his Trek weighed 37.9 stock besides Maxxis tires... needless to say it was 40.7 on our scale. Offer still stands.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
You don't go fast enough to worry about DH tubes;)

Offer still stands on the Trek. A guy told me this weekend his Trek weighed 37.9 stock besides Maxxis tires... needless to say it was 40.7 on our scale. Offer still stands.
If your scale consistently measures heavier than any other scale, maybe it's not every other person's scale....?

Seriously, have you even thought about that?

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
If your scale consistently measures heavier than any other scale, maybe it's not every other person's scale....?

Seriously, have you even thought about that?
Yes...

I have a digital scale I weigh myself on. When I weigh on that, then me and the bike, subtract... its within .1 of our park stand scale. Whats the chances of having two scales completely off?

Probably none.

JudgeDH

Chimp
Feb 7, 2008
I imagine that all this discussion of frame strength applies also to the Intense Socom that weights almost the same?!?!

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I imagine that all this discussion of frame strength applies also to the Intense Socom that weights almost the same?!?!
now this is really curious. For some reason the treks seem to dent easier (or at least Ive seen more dented treks than socoms on the net). One of the reasons trek went with thin aluminium on the front triangle of the 88 was because they use a floating shock suspension systems, which means all the stress created from the bumps which go into the wheels, passing through the rear triangle onto the shock, are then recycled and go back into the rear triangle so to speak, thus a big (but not all) part of the force that a normal frame has to sustain from holding the shock whilest it is being compressing is eliminated, meaning the tubing can be thinner since it doesnt need to sustain that amount of force and energy. So in other words, the front triangle is dead thin, thats why is buckles, dents and in this case brakes so easly from crashes and cases... I do hope trek comes out with some thicker 88, other wise this bike is going to loose all its potential clients it had before coming in to the market (it used to be the next great thing). I wouldnt mind it being at least 200 grms heavier if it meant it would last a lot longer. But anyways, they do have good CS from what I hear.

Last edited:

Wobbler

Monkey
Jan 22, 2006
Yes...

I have a digital scale I weigh myself on. When I weigh on that, then me and the bike, subtract... its within .1 of our park stand scale. Whats the chances of having two scales completely off?

Probably none.
large

get them actually calibrated if you want to go dick waving about how awesome your scales are :twitch:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yes...

Probably none.
large

get them actually calibrated if you want to go dick waving about how awesome your scales are :twitch:
Yea, unless they've been recently calibrated, chances are actually pretty good that they're both off.

And bathroom scales (even digital) aren't exactly know for their precision or accuracy. Could just be random luck.

FWIW, where I work we use scientific scales (some that report 6 decimal places and require glass shields) on a daily basis. They have to be calibrated every 6 months otherwise that data they produce is basically worthless.

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
now this is really curious. For some reason the treks seem to dent easier (or at least Ive seen more dented treks than socoms on the net). One of the reasons trek went with thin aluminium on the front triangle of the 88 was because they use a floating shock suspension systems, which means all the stress created from the bumps which go into the wheels, passing through the rear triangle onto the shock, are then recycled and go back into the rear triangle so to speak, thus a big (but not all) part of the force that a normal frame has to sustain from holding the shock whilest it is being compressing is eliminated, meaning the tubing can be thinner since it doesnt need to sustain that amount of force and energy. So in other words, the front triangle is dead thin, thats why is buckles, dents and in this case brakes so easly from crashes and cases...
The pivots are still pushed apart on a floating shock bike, creating much the same forces and energy transfer/storage.
That is no reason to use thinner tubes as far as I can tell.
The result will be the same as the pic below.

Hmmmm... where else have I seen Trek DH bikes break in half.... Oh yeah!

The frame design does lend itself to not trying to push on the down tube and pull on the top tube(and visa versa) horizontally, like a lot of bikes do.