Quantcast

Now I've done it

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Why a Taiwanese steel frame that costs as much as some custom frames made right here ?

Probably because you, like Potroast and his Dillinger, decided it was what you wanted and would work best for your riding style and budget :bonk:

Those bad boys are going for about $245 I though? Even without the special, I'm not sure who will custom build a frame for under $400 samolians.

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
I have an Aluminum frame that's about eleventy billion times nicer than many steel frames I've seen... :) :)

north20

Chimp
Nov 5, 2007
East Cascades - PNW
Those bad boys are going for about $245 I though? Even without the special, I'm not sure who will custom build a frame for under $400 samolians.

My post was in answer to DHS; my point was you buy what the hell works for you and your budget. If it's steel, great; if it's aluminum or whatever else, wonderful.

And yeah, someone building custom frames for less than $400 would create quite a buzz ... and waiting lists of 5 years or more :wait:

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
My post was in answer to DHS; my point was you buy what the hell works for you and your budget. If it's steel, great; if it's aluminum or whatever else, wonderful.

And yeah, someone building custom frames for less than $400 would create quite a buzz ... and waiting lists of 5 years or more :wait:
HAHAHAH very true!

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
Well, change of plans. I got an e-mail from Chad and they don't have the yellow in stock. They showed to have 1, but couldn't locate it. I am getting the white, instead.
I also was going to have to wait a few weeks for the wheels so I cancelled those. Now I need to find another set.

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
My advice (I have a Dillinger) on wheels is to get something pretty stout, especially for the back. The key feature of this frame is that it is super stable, you will quickly tend to carry lots of speed into rough sections. Point it downhill and let it fly! You need rims that are ready to take the abuse. As far as feel goes, it has turned out to be a smooth ride for a hardtail. The long flat stays are compliant, it is waaaaay smoother than my other, more compact, steel frame. Likewise, if you're running the rigid fork, I'd advise higher volume, tready tires to take the hits and rip the turns at higher speeds than you expect. I started out with racy light wheels and tires and was out riding them pretty quick, they were taking a beating in the rocky sections that no longer slow you down on this steed. I've found that heavier, beefier wheels and tires actually allow me to go faster because I don't have to scrub as much speed in the turns and chunky stuff. The extra tread also helps carve the long wheelbase through tight turns. Honestly, even rigid, it'll barge through sections like a freeride bike if you're willing to go for it.

BTW, the frame weighs about 4.5 lbs...

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
I think you could actually get Velocity Blunts in white too, but the wait time might prove to be a deal killer. Then again, it is winter time!

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
Those are road rims, only 19mm wide. I wouldn't use them since they are so narrow.

Are you running gears or single speed?

Do you know what tires you want to run yet? Tubes or tubeless?

sportcult

Chimp
Nov 15, 2007
Well, for tough inexpensive, pre built wheels these aren't bad deals:

Rhyno Lites on Ringle hubs, disc or rim brake, $199
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH308A08-Sun+Ringle+Highrider+29Er+Disc+Wheelset.aspx

Mavic rims on Deore hubs, disc only, $145
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/WH400G00-Shimano+M525+Disc+Mavic+A317+29Er+Wheels.aspx

Tougher, cheaper, heavier you say? WTB Dual Duty FR on Deore hubs, $120
http://www.blueskycycling.com/product3512_77_-Shimano-Deore-Disc-Wheelset-w--WTB-Dual-Duty-FR-Rims-29er.htm

Not sure what kind of wheels you're used to riding. Do you have any decent 26 inch wheels that you could pirate the hubs from?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
That's not a bad price on those bluesky wheels.

Also see what George at www.bike29.com can do for you. I got a set of Dual Duty FR rims laced to XT disc hubs for $200.00 shippped to my door from George - just take some time when you get them to check spoke tension and whatnot.

But that would certainly be a durable wheelset for around $200.00 from a guy who really supports the 29er thang.

Cheers,

Mark