Quantcast

Now there's a kid to be proud of....

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.charlotte.com/weird/story/187176.html\

Police who chased a car for miles along a highway at speeds up to 100 mph said the driver was drunk, hardly a rarity in this resort town. But there was more: When they looked inside the flipped vehicle with guns drawn, they found an 11-year-old girl at the wheel.

"You go up there thinking it's a felon you're dealing with," assistant police Chief Greg Duck said.

The girl, who was slightly injured in the crash, is now charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, speeding, reckless endangerment and leaving the scene of an accident. Duck said she sideswiped another vehicle during the roughly 8-mile chase.

The chase began around 10:30 p.m. Tuesday when a patrol officer near the Florida line saw the car speeding west along a beach highway, Duck said. When the officer flicked on his lights, the driver sped up. The girl rolled the car just inside the Gulf Shores city limit.

Duck said the girl, whose name was not released because of her age, told police she was on her way to pick up her sister at a concert.

Investigators found no alcohol in the car but believe the girl drank before getting behind the wheel of the car, which belongs to relatives.

Duck declined to release the girl's blood alcohol level but said a blood test at the hospital showed it was higher than .02, the legal limit for minors.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
there's a legal limit for minors?
There are lots of other things besides alcohol that can give a reading.

A major problem with some machines is that they not only identify the ethyl alcohol (or ethanol) found in alcohol beverages, but also other substances similar in molecular structure. Those machines identify any compound containing the methyl group structure. Over one hundred compounds can be found in the human breath at any one time and 70 to 80 percent of them contain methyl group structure and will be incorrectly detected as ethyl alcohol. Important is the fact that the more different ethyl group substances the machine detects, the higher will be the false BAC estimate.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has found that dieters and diabetics can have acetone levels hundreds and even thousand of times higher than that in others. Acetone is one of the many substances that can be falsely identified as ethyl alcohol by some breath machines.

One investigator has reported that alcohol-free subjects can generate BAC readings of about .05 after eating various types of bread products.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
And if you eat a poppy seed bagel, you can generate false positive on drug tests.

I know, I'm jewish.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't what's more disturbing, the fact an 11 year old was driving, or that she was running ANY blood alcohol level.

I didn't start drinking until I was 13 and I didn't "borrow" the car until I was 14. Never once did I EVER consider mixing the 2 together.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
well sh!t if kids are getting pregnant at 12 and 13 now... you gotta get all that partying out of your system befo you settle down.

erastusboy

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
Most states have the .02 legal limit for minors because your parents can let you drink inside your own home. So if you are 16 and toss a few back you can't legally drive.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I not impressed until I hear that she offered to give the officer a blowjob if he would just forget the whole thing...("It always works with Daddy when he's mad at me, officer!"

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
so no drinks from mom and dad?
nope, that's called "contributing to the delinquency of a minor...."

and L.O.

this is from the NC General Statute regarding Driving While Intoxicated; [G.S. 20-138.1(a) ]

"Did operate a motor vehicle while subject to an impairing substance
........(long paragraph about sobriety tests)......

...The persons driving privilege shall be revoked immediately for at least 30 days if:
a. The test reveals an alcohol concentration of 0.08 or more; or
b. (commercial motor vehicle...0.04)
c. The person is under 21 years of age and the test reveals ANY alcohol concentration."

so i have no idea why he made the .02 comment. higher ups in the chain of command rarely keep up with the street level details :rolleyes"

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
so i have no idea why he made the .02 comment. higher ups in the chain of command rarely keep up with the street level details :rolleyes"
that's because in alabama the legal limit for people under 21 is .02 like it is here in massachusetts.