Quantcast

Now THIS is what a Police MTB should look like...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
We finally got the grant for our new bikes this month. We've been riding Giant's version of a police bike (XCT frame with silent hub) since '06 and they're pretty beat. i had my bike heavily modded from the original issue with some of my own parts and it rode like a freeride hardtail...just how i like it, instead of the heavy and unbalanced bike it came as. i had to remove the rear rack, kickstand, bottle cages, put on a shorter stem with 31.8 bars, lock ons, etc. but, even after all the mods it was still a XC frame at heart and didn't fit the mold of what our bike unit has become. we're not the typical downtown bike patrol checking on businesses and playing officer friendly. my unit is a little more aggressive; we work only in public housing (projects) so our mission is much different than most other bike units. so now that i'm the departments' bike instructor and i handle all of the equipment purchasing when we get money to do so...unlike the last time we made bike/equipment purchases...i tried to get us some equipment that will better suit us now (and won't keep me in my shop wrenching on them every week). my goal was to get something durable yet not too-expensive, fairly slack HA (we hit A LOT of stairs at speed), disk brakes,tough fork, and burly rims/tires. so here is what i got :D

got a great deal on a 2008 Jamis Komodo II (shop i ride for carries Jamis and he's very easy to deal with)
it has all the basic stuff we need for a po-po bike without all the crap we don't need. it's labeled as a freeride/dj hardtail and, after riding one for a bit now, it's geometry/build is PERFECT for our mission. i'm super stoked on it as are the other 4 guys in my unit.

here's a link to the specs: not the best shifter/der. combo but solid enough for what we do. i'm changing the 32T chainring to a 34T since we no longer have a big ring...like we ever used it anyway.
http://jamisbikes.com/usa/archives/2008/08_komodo2_archive.html

i hated our old bulky headlights (no, we don't use blue blinky lights on our bikes, just headlights for nigh visibility and to be street legal) and i found the new cygolite mitycross 350. http://www.cygolite.com/products/new/MityCross/mitycross350.html
it's the smallest high-power LED i've ever seen and it's stupid bright, plus it has a strobe function..perfect! i allotted for and ordered all of the equipment i could think of from shoes to sunglasses to Dakine Hydration backpacks to new Giro Phase helmets. so in other words...i had a blast doing the research and shopping for new gear :D (did i mention that i love my job?)

anyway..here's the pics of the bike after i removed the half-naked lady stickers from the DJ1 fork and installed the light/computer. (how many po-po bikes have 20mm thru-axles ;) )

check the tiny battery and light. helluva lot better than the heavy old water bottle battery with mile-long cable. now we can take just take the whole light/battery off without having to unravel all that cable when we're on day shift.

does anyone have any suggestions for the computer cable routing? i think the white fork just accents the black cable more and i'd like a cleaner look.

...and the old bike, so you can see how far we've come since i was able to start influencing the way a bike unit could run.
when i got it:

when i started to make it better

wow..ok, that was wordy. sorry for the chattiness...i'm just very giddy right now. i hope y'all monkey's can appreciate the new bike stuff, even if it's not technically mine.
now, i'm curious to see if this thread will derail into yet another anti-cop thread :rolleyes::rant: i sure hope not.... :D

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Looks pretty good and am glad to see the police stepping up the bikes!
I'm not anti-cop...just anti-window tint laws, lol. Oh...and "excessive noise." Who said I can't play my stereo at 130db on the street :P

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Looks pretty good and am glad to see the police stepping up the bikes!
I'm not anti-cop...just anti-window tint laws, lol. Oh...and "excessive noise." Who said I can't play my stereo at 130db on the street :P
doesn't bother me...i keep my beater '94 subaru thumpin' with my 500w fosgate pushing a 10" sub on some old school double bass drum metalcore :D

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
doesn't bother me...i keep my beater '94 subaru thumpin' with my 500w fosgate pushing a 10" sub on some old school double bass drum metalcore :D
Nice!
Ya, I've gotten pulled over quite a few times for that and window tint (had limo all around for a while). Only once has it been by a cop in a car...and he was going the opposite direction and got me.

d*mn motorcycle cops!!!

OH, and for the record...I just have a single 12" in a MASSIVE ported box tuned to 32hz and powered by only 500w ;) If you know your stuff...does not take much to make something LOUD!

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Set up two Fuji Police Specials today. They have a Recon on them and Deore and LX. I also used the Mity Cross on it. They didn't have budget for police lights, so they got a Planet Bike Super Flash on the bar for a red flashing pursuit light. :D I'll try to get pics on Monday. Not as burly as that bike, but a nice bike for $900.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
does anyone have any suggestions for the computer cable routing? i think the white fork just accents the black cable more and i'd like a cleaner look.
not sure what you have going on there, its hard to tell from the photo, but you could swap the position of your computer, and your head light and put the computer on the left side of the stem and then run the cable down your front brake cable. You can wrap and twist the computer cable around the front brake cable just enough times so its then taught when it reaches the sensor.

Killer bikes by the way, our local police force is still rocking old cannondales with goofy old components while they ride around all upright and stiff. Sometimes I feel like mentioning something to one of'um when im out manualing ledges to get a better set up but it always seems like there on the bikes because they dont have seniority and not because they want to so i just stay quite. But i guess a criminal doesn't care or even know if its a 97 cannondale or a 09 Jamis anyway so what the hell. But the newer "urban street style mtbs i think would help local law enforcement better than the old high and straight up cross country set ups will.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Nice one!

Next time get the minigun mount, though. Or the Renegade Rick five-shot Taser

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Set up two Fuji Police Specials today. They have a Recon on them and Deore and LX. I also used the Mity Cross on it. They didn't have budget for police lights, so they got a Planet Bike Super Flash on the bar for a red flashing pursuit light. :D I'll try to get pics on Monday. Not as burly as that bike, but a nice bike for $900.
i have the budget for police lights but they're so bulky i opted for the mitycross instead. we don't really need pursuit lights anyway, most of our pursuits are off-road or through a housing complex..not usually on the road. ..and we got the Jamis for less than the Fuji :D we had the predecessor to the Dart fork on the old bikes and i exploded mine, literally. i'm excited to have a burly 20mm fork as the weight penalty will be lessened by the major performance boost.

jasride - good idea, i think i'll try that. unfortunately, they put on so much extra brake line that it looks like a friggin jungle. i'd shorten them but i don't want to bleed the brakes on 5 bikes.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Pretty cool man.

You should have a tazer mounted to the handlebars that you can deploy at people while riding behind them.

crohnsy

Monkey
Oct 2, 2009
T Bay
You should change your front brake routing. If you leave it like that the brake line will wear a groove in your crown faster than you expect.

As for you computer cable any time I'm installing one on a bike, I opt to run the computer wire down the brake line. then mount the sensor on the disc brake side.

Makes for a really clean setup.

This year we brought in some of the Cannondale police bikes for one of the forces near us. They turned out pretty nice

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
thanks for the tip crohnsy, you should've seen the way the cable was routed out of the box...friggin ridiculous.

i dig the look of the cannondale color scheme but i can't stand having all that weight on the back and the xc geometry. it's just not conducive to aggressive urban riding, imo. i got our unit to see the light of camelbacks/hydration packs to carry our necessities. i carry a ticket book and my partner carries all of the repair gear so it keeps the packs light and unobtrusive; having a rear rack just gets in the way of everything and throws off your balance. i'm just glad my department lets me have control of how and what we operate.