Quantcast

NS Rotary or Profile SS?

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
Right now I'm running a chris king hub converted to ss, but its a quick release so it slips easy and not as stiff as a regular ss hub.
I'm planning on selling the hub (http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/583761/) and using the money to get a new hub. I don't know whether to get a profile or ns rotary. The profile seems stronger and has more color choices, but its kinda heavy. The rotary looks weaker with its female axle type design, but is lighter(568g vs. 410g). The rotary doesn't look like it will hold that well, i.e. it will slip. The price is pretty much the same so its not a deciding factor.
Anything helps.:thumb:

FR4life.

Monkey
Nov 2, 2004
The Bay
I just built up a profile ss and it skips. Apparently I just have bad luck with bikes and got a defective hub, cause many people swear by their products. I need to send it back for warranty and it should be fine. NS rotary looks really nice. I wouldnt be worried about it slipping, the bolt design looks much like the gsport hub bolts and those hold up fine.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
just a thought, i know i have had times where i thought my hub was slipping due to the axle (both bolt on and q/r) but came to find out the my dropouts were bent and so forth. i would just have a look, and also sometimes a light sanding to removing some of the slippery powdercoat or paint may help as well.

(your qr may forsure be a problem im just pointing out other things that i have come across)

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I am a huge fan of Profile hubs. Love them, have them and I have had no issues. I got my SS with a Ti cassette body for a bit less weight. Works perfectly.

RHARPER

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
Dundee, MI
Right now I'm running a chris king hub converted to ss, but its a quick release so it slips easy and not as stiff as a regular ss hub.
I'm planning on selling the hub (http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/583761/) and using the money to get a new hub. I don't know whether to get a profile or ns rotary. The profile seems stronger and has more color choices, but its kinda heavy. The rotary looks weaker with its female axle type design, but is lighter(568g vs. 410g). The rotary doesn't look like it will hold that well, i.e. it will slip. The price is pretty much the same so its not a deciding factor.
Anything helps.:thumb:
You can simply full the QR bit out of the ends and order a set of funbolts for you king hub. Much cheaper in the long run.

Luckynumber13

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
NJ
oh i hate fun bolts. I was thinking about stitching to a 10mm thru axle but its like $70 or something crazzy like that. Besides ss specific hubs are a lot stiffer and i can run a smaller sprocket. I have a 18t cog on it right now which is way to big for dj/street/park. Its another ~$40 to get a new cog.
So it'll actually be more expensive.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
One more vote for profile. Hope makes a really nice ss hub too.

I don't like the idea of a bushing in the driver. I don't have any experience with this system, but I have worked for a wheel manufacturer. I'll explain my reservations.

Once the bushing wears (and it will wear, a driver takes a huge load and lots of revolutions) it will allow the pawls (which are on the driver) to come out of concentricity with the ratchet ring (which is integral to the hub shell). This will allow the pawls to engage 1 or 2 at a time instead of all at once. A single pawl engaged under load causes severe side-load between the driver and shell. This can be enough to split a hub shell, break an axle, or roast a bearing. I don't see that hub lasting as long as something with bearings under the driver.