Quantcast

Nuke proof Generator Wheelset

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Anyone using this wheelset for dh? I've never heard of nukeproof before, nevertheless, it looks like this could be a decent wheelset for a great price.

Are their hubs any good? Looks like the rims are rebadged sun-ringle mtx 29 rims, I've used the old mtx rims before and they held up pretty well to dh use, but I'm not sure if the mtx 29 rims are quite the same. Would they hold up to downhill abuse? Anyone run them tubeless?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=36897

cmoney

Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Google the wheel set there are some good reviews out there.Sounds like the hubs are decent very similar to a Hope hub.

eeeee

Chimp
Dec 8, 2010
I have one of these wheels on the front of my 6 inch bike. It works well. They are rebadged mtx rims. I haven't tried tubeless yet. They are good wheels and look sweet as well.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
the new MTX rims are great. ive been using the MTX 31's and MTX 33's for a while now.

Nukeproof is a CRC company btw

MarkDH

Monkey
Sep 23, 2004
Scotland
Had a Generator AM on the back of my Sunday for a year now, has been ridden on Scottish tracks (Ft. Bill, Glencoe, Dunkeld etc. included) and two weeks in the Alps without complaint. I have a couple of small wobbles in it because the tension out of the factory isn't great but I didn't notice for the first couple of weeks, this has been sorted now just with a tighter true. What has impressed me most is how resistant the rim is to dings, even more so that a Mavic 721, which is already good in this area. As for the hub, no complaints, it's not the loudest click if that bothers you but it has 6 bearings in it or something and it's still running smooth for me.

Hope this helps.

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
Had a Generator AM on the back of my Sunday for a year now, has been ridden on Scottish tracks (Ft. Bill, Glencoe, Dunkeld etc. included) and two weeks in the Alps without complaint. I have a couple of small wobbles in it because the tension out of the factory isn't great but I didn't notice for the first couple of weeks, this has been sorted now just with a tighter true. What has impressed me most is how resistant the rim is to dings, even more so that a Mavic 721, which is already good in this area. As for the hub, no complaints, it's not the loudest click if that bothers you but it has 6 bearings in it or something and it's still running smooth for me.

Hope this helps.
helps a ton. Im going to pull the trigger on this.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Pretty sure I've got a set of the old CF shelled hubs laced to 517s in my basement somewhere. I should dig those out.
I had some guy bring those into the shop a couple weeks ago. The hubs were pretty cool and the rims were some kind of bluish/purple/burnt metal color, it was also laced with Ti spokes. He was going on and on about his Klein and how it was the most expensive bike in 1997 and the wheels were the lightest you could get blah blah blah...

Anyway, order those wheels and I'll hook you up with some rim strips fo cheap.