Quantcast

Nukeproof DH Bike

The Man

Chimp
Jan 30, 2010
The first one looks like a mix of a TR 450 and an Evil Revolt. It looks nice though. The second one reminds me of a Jamis Parker.

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
The first one is looks pretty damn close to a TR450 with a reversed seattube/swing link set up...rather than have the links on the inside of the seat mast support, they put them on the outside

Granted, there is only so much you can do with a single pivot set up, but that is a pretty similar looking design to the latest from TBC.

I know there will be plenty of people that bitch and moan about them copying Transition or any other company, but so what? Apparently the TR450 is the frame/design of the week, there are bound to be a number of knockoffs or similar designs popping up. This isnt a bad thing but Nukeproof will probably catch a fair amount of flack from the interweb groms. (Nukeproof was around waaay before Transition was even thought about being started...congrats for longevity.)

I just hope that this drives the market to produce better, cheaper products.

shedfire

Chimp
Aug 18, 2009
Calderdale, England
The first one is looks pretty damn close to a TR450 with a reversed seattube/swing link set up...rather than have the links on the inside of the seat mast support, they put them on the outside
Well, yes, and also we have a "pull link" between the swingarm and swinglink, rather than a "push link".

I guess the main pivot and shock mount are in pretty similar positions. But the actuation is quite different.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
(Nukeproof was around waaay before Transition was even thought about being started...congrats for longevity.)

I just hope that this drives the market to produce better, cheaper products.
They went bankrupt if I'm not wrong or at least they were gone for long time. The new nuke proof shares the name but I'm not so sure if it's really the same company. Not that I want to bash them. Like the bikes, they make nice hubs but some crappy bars.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
They went bankrupt if I'm not wrong or at least they were gone for long time. The new nuke proof shares the name but I'm not so sure if it's really the same company. Not that I want to bash them. Like the bikes, they make nice hubs but some crappy bars.
The current incarnation of Nukeproof is pretty much another wing of chainreactioncycles.com Its all nice stuff and well priced and most of there stuff seems to be a slightly lower priced version of a good product from one of the bling manufacturers. They share many of the same features etc but a little more mass produced and hence lower priced.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Well, yes, and also we have a "pull link" between the swingarm and swinglink, rather than a "push link".

I guess the main pivot and shock mount are in pretty similar positions. But the actuation is quite different.
Do you care to comment on the progression rate? These type of linkage frames can be excellent IMO assuming there's a fairly clean rising rate- once again my preference.

The Ventana El Cuervo is still one of my all time favorites.

I also really like the slightly foreward pivot location:thumb:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The current incarnation of Nukeproof is pretty much another wing of chainreactioncycles.com Its all nice stuff and well priced and most of there stuff seems to be a slightly lower priced version of a good product from one of the bling manufacturers. They share many of the same features etc but a little more mass produced and hence lower priced.
Yeah that's what I remembered. Weren't the old nuke hubs crazy expensive?

shedfire

Chimp
Aug 18, 2009
Calderdale, England
Cool-thanks! 3" stroke shock?
Well, 75mm ;-)

The El Cuevo is closer in design to the TR450, with a push link driving the swinglink. We like our pull link, as the system tends towards increasing progressiveness at each end of the stroke with a nice constant rate change in the midstroke.

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
What's the story on nukeproof? I remember in the mid-90s, they had some of the trickest wheels. I recall they sort of died, and now they're back and making frames?

shedfire

Chimp
Aug 18, 2009
Calderdale, England
It's not Ti no ;-) It will have some ti bits are some point, but for now it's all aluminum (as you lot say) and stainless steel (bolts).

The plastic tube that's used as "shock replacement for transit" is a little bit short too there, so you're seeing the frame "compressed" into it's travel a little.

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Very nice looking frame, can't wait to see it built up. From front to back it looks like a Glory/TR450/Makulu.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
shedfire = Brant Richards formerly of On One notoriety and currently of Ragley Bikes and components notoriety.

So Brant, are the Nukeproof FS designs sort of design progression from the Planet X split-tail etc?

shedfire

Chimp
Aug 18, 2009
Calderdale, England
So are the Nukeproof FS designs sort of design progression from the Planet X split-tail etc?
The split-tail was nothing to do with me! That was a Zedsport project. When I was at Planet X/On-one we did a suspension frame in conjunction with Astrix, but this is nothing to do with them, either.

monkeyfcuker

Monkey
May 26, 2008
UK, Carlisle
I'm liking this more and more, any idea on pricing?

Don't suppose you need a half arsed hack with poor race results to help with testing? No, thought not haha!

Pslide

Turbo Monkey
some more pics - built up with a vivid.
we're building it up tommorow properly.
Does that mean you'll be changing out the Vivid? ;)

Only joking...

This is one of the nicest designs I've seen in a long time. I'm liking the leverage curve as well. I hope you'll be able to dial in a good shock tune to match the bike. That makes all the difference these days IMO, especially with low leverage ratios.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
looks sweet nice low centre of gravity and nice clean lines. The fully assembled frame looks sweet. Is this a final proto or will there be many changes for the production version or is it too early to tell.