Quantcast

Nukeproof Snap? Any one have time on one?

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Conceding one of these to replace my aging hard tail (06 Astrix Union) . The geometry seems inline with my goals. I'd be running it with longer Velvet RL at 130mm for trail use so it would be a bit slacker then the advertised 67º*HA.

This would be my "do it all" bike so it would see everything from XC to DH use. We don't have any 4x or DS track in the area but I'm working to correct that hopefully with in the next two seasons.

Any rider feedback? Durability? I'm not a hack per say but lets just say I don't back down from many lines and my bikes tend to pay the price for it.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
No real feedback here, but looking at the geo chart, the seatube is really on the small size. Even with 410mm Thomson, I'd doubt you'd get decent extension for some actual trail riding.

Looks like a killer frame otherwise.

jasonvelocity

Monkey
Aug 26, 2008
Palmer Lake, CO
I don't have one, but I do have a Krisis, which is very close.

I use it for DS, DJ, 4X, and have even raced at the BMX track with it. With a 120mm fork I have been trail riding, but with the low seat, you end up standing for all the climbs. With the correct tires, you can really pump and flow on smooth trails.

Update:

Now that I look at both frame specs side by side, the Snap is a little more slack. Draw your own conclusions from that :)

Identiti Krisis geometry vs. Nukeproof Snap geometry

Last edited:

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
No real feedback here, but looking at the geo chart, the seatube is really on the small size. Even with 410mm Thomson, I'd doubt you'd get decent extension for some actual trail riding.

Looks like a killer frame otherwise.
Yeah the seat tube is really short. I'm on the fence as to if this will be an issue or not. Current bike is a 15" going down to 13 and change might be too short. I'm going to have to do some math.

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
If you are gonna rip xc to dh then maybe some steel would be better than a super stiff alu 4x frame like the snap.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
while the snap is a sweet 4x frame. I wouldnt recommend it as a do everything bike. The super stiff back end for great gate starts is not gonna be very forgiving on rougher trails and the seat tube issues that have already been mentioned are also gonna give you trouble if your on the tall side. Id look at a cotic bfe or an on one summer season

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I ran the numbers and the seat tube wouldn't be an issue. with a 410 thomson post you can have 310mm extended so ad that to the 340mm of seat tube you have a max length of 650mm (about 26") extension. I don't think I'd ever run past 600mm for the riding I'd be doing so thats fine.

As for steel vrs. aluminum, I'm not apposed to a steel bike. Just looking for options at this point. I'm in no rush as I've got a new Demo 8 on order on it's way and want to pay that off first.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I ran the numbers and the seat tube wouldn't be an issue. with a 410 thomson post you can have 310mm extended so ad that to the 340mm of seat tube you have a max length of 650mm (about 26") extension. I don't think I'd ever run past 600mm for the riding I'd be doing so thats fine.

As for steel vrs. aluminum, I'm not apposed to a steel bike. Just looking for options at this point. I'm in no rush as I've got a new Demo 8 on order on it's way and want to pay that off first.
Great! I'm just too tall for an under 16" seatube if I want to ride the bike all around.

Have you taken a look at Dialled bikes' Holeshot? For all out racing, aluminum wins for sure, but a Reynolds 853 frame sure is nicer *in my book* for all around riding. Durability and dampening are two interesting features of that material. Don't know the weight of the frame.

holeshot_main_thumb.jpg

http://www.dialledbikes.com/products/mtb/holeshot.php

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I don't have one, but I do have a Krisis, which is very close.
That frame is stupid light right? Under 4lbs if I remember.

Do you have pics of it? Curious to see what a complete looks like.

Also, did you order it from the UK??

Thanks sorry for the thread derail!!

yopaulie

Monkey
Jun 4, 2009
NH
In my experience 4 pound aluminum frames are much nicer feeling than 6 pound steel frames for ripping up hill though, way nicer.
How about a 5lb steel frame (Blk Mrkt)? But then again I ride Lynn/Exeter Woods so I dont pedal up a real mountain.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
Not interested in a mob.

The Dialled Bikes look pretty solid, I would however prefer something with the option for horizontal or sliding vertical drops. That at the old school 1 1/8th head tube is a bit of a deterrent. I'd prefer a 44mm or full 1.5 head tube in attempts to future proof the bikes fork choices.

SuspectDevice: do you work for spooky? What the deal on their dirt crab? Not sure I want to spend that much on a hard tail but I like the idea of custom and knowing that the people who welded the frame can afford a decent meal.

cryion

Chimp
Jan 18, 2011
had a NS Surge for a while. might be worth looking into. also got the sliding drops. it does, however, just have a 1 1/8. but cant imagine there are tons of hardtails with 1.5, or are there?

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Maybe also take a look at a Yeti DJ. Mine wil be entering its 3rd year with no sign of slowing down. Great solid bike with ajustable dropouts (=SS capacity) and a tapered headtube. Can't say enough good things about this frame. I raced it (4x and cruiser class BMX), jumped it, trail rode it (although my knees didn't like it). You can build it pretty light also.IMG_0292.jpg

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Ive still got my 02 Chameleon with an 03 Firefly TPC+, maintenance is key! :)

And Ive done awful things to it. Unfortunately it only has a 67.5deg HA, so its mostly useless these days.

:weee:

j_r

Chimp
Mar 7, 2011
Chapel Hill, NC
I got a Snap just before Christmas when CRC had a price drop. I wanted something slacker and light that I'd use for pump track and mild jumping during the week and bmx & slalom races on weekends. I was struggling on race weekends going back and forth between the dh bike and a steep slalom bike on the same days.

I considered a Jackal, P.3, Yeti DJ, Supercross Shine also. If you could angleset the P.3 I think I'd have done that. Would've cost alot more tho.

So far I love the Snap. Really light & well made. Stiffness is noticeable over the steel bike I had before. Only bummer I have is the rear end is longer than I'd like, esp for the gated racing I do on it. I'm machining the slotted dropouts in some more to shorten it up, at least as much as I can and still get decent caliper/rotor alignment. Thinking I might even mill my own dropout set that'll get my axle deep down in that cutout in the end of the frame, lower the bb a bit more as a bonus.

P.3 and Yeti are tapered headtube. I doubt I'll ever trail ride mine, but if you're convinced the short seat tube is not an issue, I could see it working if you had an adjustable fork. Mine feels perfect with a 100mm fork.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
SuspectDevice: do you work for spooky? What the deal on their dirt crab? Not sure I want to spend that much on a hard tail but I like the idea of custom and knowing that the people who welded the frame can afford a decent meal.
I am Spooky. I do everything except fabricate the bikes. I leave that to Frank The Welder and SAPA.
"all mountain" hardtails are awesome. They really need to be designed with pedaling in mind, because most people spend at least 60% of their time even if they are just messing around with flats on behind the middle school. Whenever I've tried to pedal my slalom bike around I've wanted to kill myself. Weird contact points. My personal preference for chainstay length and bb height is way different for a race frame and a bike for flogging.
FWIW Reynolds has a new heavy-duty 853 tube set that looks like it'd be pretty cool to work with.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Yes. Yes you can. :D

How much does it weigh? Curious.

I'm rebuilding mine for this upcoming year with BMX cruiser class racing in mind and aiming for sub 22. I'm trying the rigid fork thing gonna see how it goes. If too wonky, gonna stick the Fox on it again.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
On-One have the new 456 Evo, they were way behind the times with their previous frames but an 11mm BB drop should make it a pretty sweet little frame, and they are so cheap it's not funny. If you buy one check it out fully before building it up their QC seems to be lacking.

I'm 6ft and ride a 16" 456 everywhere but I will go an 18"next time.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
How much does it weigh? Curious.

I'm rebuilding mine for this upcoming year with BMX cruiser class racing in mind and aiming for sub 22. I'm trying the rigid fork thing gonna see how it goes. If too wonky, gonna stick the Fox on it again.
Its 22.5 pounds in that setup, and carves through a berm like a laser.