Quantcast

NutNewz: Attempt being made to reduce hurricane Ivan's power

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Attempt being made to reduce hurricane Ivan's power
[A Boeing 747 & absorbing powder]
http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=1386&z=3&p= | 9-10-04 | AP

JACKSONVILLE — A South Florida businessman says he's going to try to reduce the strength of Hurricane Ivan by flying a Boeing 747 into the edge of the hurricane and dumping thousands of pounds of an absorbent material into the storm.

Peter Cordani of Jupiter plans to try to knock the storm down by one or two categories by dropping tons of powder that absorbs 3-thousand to 4-thousand times its weight.

Cordani is chief operating officer of Dyn-O-Mat, a company that sells environmental absorbent products such as mats for mechanics. He believes his product, SK1000, would cause a shearing action and a 15 degree cooling of the storm.

Cordani has been working on his plan for five years. He has assembled a team of experts, including two former astronauts, moonwalker Edgar Mitchell and Scott Mac Leod, who tested the lunar module.

Cordani is in contact talks to lease a 747 tanker from Evergreen Aviation in McMinnville, Oregon.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What a moron. Everyone knows the only way to stop a hurricane is to have Superman fly around it in the opposite direction...but he has to be careful, because he doesn't want time to start going backwards, too...

MD

Kihaji

Norman Einstein
Jan 18, 2004
I will laugh if the stuff absorbs some water, then freezes, then sticks in the wind to become 115mph sandpaper.

Should make for some fun.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
What I fail to see is how his particles will absorb the *wind*.

MD

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
N8 said:
Attempt being made to reduce hurricane Ivan's power
[A Boeing 747 & absorbing powder]
http://www.nbc-2.com/articles/readarticle.asp?articleid=1386&z=3&p= | 9-10-04 | AP

JACKSONVILLE — A South Florida businessman says he's going to try to reduce the strength of Hurricane Ivan by flying a Boeing 747 into the edge of the hurricane and dumping thousands of pounds of an absorbent material into the storm.

I like it! Here are a few best-case scenarios off the top o' my head:

1. Wind shear causes the plane to ditch and break up just north of Cuba. Said absorbent material expands like so many tons of "Great Stuff" and 8,000 (no more, no less) Cubans surf Dynomat Surfboards to the Keys. The Key West art scene is destroyed forever, but the nightlife is greatly improved.

2. The plane dumps the stuff as planned. The storm eats it up, grows the powder into killer plastic pellets, and hits FL w/10x the destructive force it would have originally held (but with 10mph slower winds, 'cuz the stuff "works").

3. The plane goes out and comes back, still full of powder. "Uh, it looked too dangerous so we blew it off." Mysteriously, there is a sudden glut of cocaine on the US market. Florida makes enough money to rebuild in 7 days. On the eigth day, every Floridian knocks off early to enjoy their own 8-ball.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
y'all know that planes can fly above the clouds, right?

It's a pretty amazing thing... next time you're on a plane, look out the window, down onto the "weather".

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
btw, I'd much rather see them drop some serious explosives into one to reduce it's strength... instead of super-absorbent kitty litter.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Fathead said:
I like it! Here are a few best-case scenarios off the top o' my head:

1. Wind shear causes the plane to ditch and break up just north of Cuba. Said absorbent material expands like so many tons of "Great Stuff" and 8,000 (no more, no less) Cubans surf Dynomat Surfboards to the Keys. The Key West art scene is destroyed forever, but the nightlife is greatly improved.

2. The plane dumps the stuff as planned. The storm eats it up, grows the powder into killer plastic pellets, and hits FL w/10x the destructive force it would have originally held (but with 10mph slower winds, 'cuz the stuff "works").

3. The plane goes out and comes back, still full of powder. "Uh, it looked too dangerous so we blew it off." Mysteriously, there is a sudden glut of cocaine on the US market. Florida makes enough money to rebuild in 7 days. On the eigth day, every Floridian knocks off early to enjoy their own 8-ball.
dude, you rock

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004

I pick this one,

then i'll pick my nose.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
LordOpie said:
btw, I'd much rather see them drop some serious explosives into one to reduce it's strength... instead of super-absorbent kitty litter.
Yeah, we should drop a few daisy-cutters in when it's near, saaaaay...Cuba?

Great way to reduce destruction...explosives...

MD

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Yeah, I can see how some water might get absorbed, but its still a swirling mass of wind...and what are the ecological ramifications of thise. Ever hear that every time you let a helium baloon go, a sea turtle chokes on it somewhere or something. Well, this cant be good for the turtles. And what if it absorbs the ocean?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I have a strange feeling that I might use explosives a little more than you do...and I haven't yet blown off my balls, so I guess I'm fine, thanks. Just a slightly overdeveloped sense of irony...

MD

Craw

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
He's from Jupiter though. Shouldn't he have some crazy ass alien anti hurricane technology?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Craw said:
He's from Jupiter though. Shouldn't he have some crazy ass alien anti hurricane technology?
haha! When I lived and worked in Boca Raton -- couple hours south of Jupiter -- a meteor struck the planet and our dumb receptionist said she hoped all the people there (the city) were okay :devil:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
what's the cause of a hurricane? is it a cold front encountering a warm front? well, that is the only weather-related term i can think of. if it's true, how about we just dump a sh1tload of ice (or some dry ice because it makes a neat looking mist) or arm a bunch of big army planes with flame throwers. fire is neat.

Fathead

Monkey
May 6, 2003
SE TX
BurlySurly said:
Yeah, I can see how some water might get absorbed, but its still a swirling mass of wind...and what are the ecological ramifications of thise. Ever hear that every time you let a helium baloon go, a sea turtle chokes on it somewhere or something. Well, this cant be good for the turtles. And what if it absorbs the ocean?
See what college does to an impressionable young mind? Less than a month and you're already a hippie.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
MikeD said:
I have a strange feeling that I might use explosives a little more than you do...and I haven't yet blown off my balls, so I guess I'm fine, thanks. Just a slightly overdeveloped sense of irony...

MD
Are ya PMSing?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Craw said:
With apologies to N8, the government has had it since the early 70s...

Attachments

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
LordOpie said:
haha! When I lived and worked in Boca Raton -- couple hours south of Jupiter -- a meteor struck the planet and our dumb receptionist said she hoped all the people there (the city) were okay :devil:
That's awesome - is she hot?

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
Damn - I forgot you said Fla. anyhow - just figured the possibilities could be endless with a girl that dense "Honestly? you didn't know that girls have prostates too - and you haven't had your's checked? - here, I'll show you how it's done" :)