Quantcast

nVidia Driver install

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok my video card broke so I bought a new one.

When I installed the nVideo drivers for it my audio was corrupted.

Any idea where to start? I tried to update the audio drivers but it didnt' seem to help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Go into Device Manager and delete the audio card. Then either re-scan for hardware or reboot - see if that fixes it.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Did that and it re-installed fine but it didn't work. Before I could see the volume adjust on the screen and now it won't do that even.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Ok I updated the audio drivers and now I can adjust the audio and it appears that the audio device is working properly. I just don't get any sound. When I uninstall the video driver the sound comes back.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Drop the drivers that came in the box. Uninstall them so your sound card works. Then go to the nVidia website and download the most recent drivers for your card.

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
IRQ is Interrupt Request. Back in the DOS days, you could assign IRQs, and had to make sure you didn't assign the same interrupt to 2 different devices. If that happened, the first one would work, and the second one wouldn't.

In the device manager, you can check the IRQ of each device. You can have windows assign the IRQs, or when something like this happens, you can manually assign the IRQ.

BV will have better instructions on how to do this.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Oops, thanks for bumping this.

Stosh, if you go into Device Manager and right click on either the video card or the sound card, then hit Properties, and click the "Resources" tab, it should tell you the IRQ somewhere in that list of resources it pops up.

Check them both and see if they're on the same IRQ.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Oops, thanks for bumping this.

Stosh, if you go into Device Manager and right click on either the video card or the sound card, then hit Properties, and click the "Resources" tab, it should tell you the IRQ somewhere in that list of resources it pops up.

Check them both and see if they're on the same IRQ.
Yes they are both using IRQ 16.

It won't let me change either of them I'm assuming you know how! :)

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Done some research and it sounds like it's really hard to change the IRQ setting. I can't change the location of the video card or obviously the onboard audio.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
When you check the resources tab, can you uncheck the box labeled "use automatic settings" or is it greyed out?

If it's greyed out, it's gonna be a bitch to change and will actually change how your computer operates. Bad situation - you might be reduced to buying a new sound card.

One thing you could try is deleting your sound card in Device Manager, then reboot and go into the BIOS. Disable the sound card from within the BIOS (most computers will let you do this). Boot into Windows and make sure that the sound card is deleted out of Device Manager.

Then reboot and re-enable the sound card in the BIOS. That will force Windows to recognize your sound card as a new device - it is unlikely to change your IRQ but it's worth a shot.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Yeah, it's grey'ed out.

Ok sounds like a plan, I'll get back to it a little later after I finish mowing the lawn.

I can't get a new sound card because it's onboard sound and I don't have any PCI slots.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Got any recommendations?

Before I go buying one I was wondering if there was one you would suggest under $50.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I really don't know. I have an M-Audio Transit that I really like but it's not cheap and there's no more driver support as far as I know.

You can get a Creative X-Fi from NewEgg for $59 which is pretty high end. If you were happy with the on-board sound I'd venture to suggest you'd be happy with any of the ~$30 Turtle Beach options.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
F'ing great!!!!!

The external audio card thing didn't work so I tried to switch the computer to the non-power management mode so I could manually change the IRQ's. Well not it doesn't recgonize my wireless keyboard, mouse or any USB port. Combine that with the fact the the computer doesn't come with the ps2 mouse/keyboard ports and I can't do a thing now.

I think I'm going to scrap the whole (I'll save the drives, memory, etc...) thing and buy a new Dell as a Media Center.

I almost started smashing walls last night and I'm not a violent person, I was so F'ing ticked off.

seppk

Chimp
Aug 3, 2009
What i did once is got a registry cleaner, shut down comp, turned on in safe mode, opened up cleaner in safe mode and cleaned out all files related to the driver then turned it off and rebooted in normal mode and reinstalled drivers because the first time, my drivers were corrupted.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
What i did once is got a registry cleaner, shut down comp, turned on in safe mode, opened up cleaner in safe mode and cleaned out all files related to the driver then turned it off and rebooted in normal mode and reinstalled drivers because the first time, my drivers were corrupted.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I updated bios this weekend and re-installed all audio, video drivers again with same results.