Quantcast

Nwd 10

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Filming seemed to be much higher quality than in years past. And the closing scene on the barge in the SF Bay was simply amazing.

iandude94

Monkey
May 30, 2008
OC, NY
Not to mention there was no attempt at a lousy side-plot like years past. The riding and filming pretty much spoke for itself.
Yea that "death race" that they showed once or twice thru-out the movie was pretty bad. But I am going to download it soon. I wish they would do this with more DH films. Paying 40 dollars for a movie is not cool.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
berrecloth, semenuk, mccaul, and vories had some of my favorite segments ever.

Vories ripping it up on the BLT2 with no music was so sick. looked like a super fun trail to ride.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Seriously? The best so far? For me it looked like they put all their creativeness into the hellbarge and took less care about the rest. Some parts were really weak like the Watts part that was basicaly a drop and a a single dirtjump(WTF the guy got mad skills and all we get is his training track?). Gees wasn't as impressive and it was filmed in much less places (basicaly half of it in highland and half of it in Utah) with some extra parts. I'm quite dissapointed with this one though I liked some parts (Voreis, Barge, Mccaul) though I think the 9th NWD and the 8th kranked were much better.

Also - why so many heli shots? It's soooo 2003.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
^^^
Agreed. I enjoyed it, great cinematography, but was not blown away. For me Vories stole the show. As usual, I found myself wishing for more trail riding and a bit less dirt jumping. Call me sentimental, but I would have been happy to see an old school ripper segment featuring some of the classic guys like Wade/Richie, just since it was the last movie. I thought the whole thing peaked around NWD 5/6...but that is probably because that is when they moved more and more toward slopestyle and DJ after that.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
Mixed bag for me. WAY too much dirt jumping IMO. If I want to see that I'll watch a BMX video. When they jump it just looks better... Saying that, I'm also bummed they didn't get some footage of all the past stars like Watson, Schley, Simmons, Vanderham ect. If it's the last one, why not?

Every ones a critic eh?

I did like it though. I'm really looking forward to "Follow me" and "Life cycle" now!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Actualy I had nothing about DJing as there was really less than most of us think (unless we call doing big gaps and drops with tricks djing but that just silly). I think if the Chase part was longer it'd be pretty cool as he has mad skills. I don't know feel the same sentiment for the old nwd's having rewatched some of them recently.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
the beginning was good till the first dirt jumpers were shown. music was good. but think what they could have done with this probably big budget. i'm still dreaming of a "thats it thats all" with bikes...

Salty4X

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
stoked on it, glad there wasnt a bunch of the same old BC guys riding fast single track. It has definitely moved more towards the dirt jump/slopestyle genre, which I think is fantastic. But seriously...superfrontflip? holy canoli!

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
the beginning was good till the first dirt jumpers were shown. music was good. but think what they could have done with this probably big budget. i'm still dreaming of a "thats it thats all" with bikes...
I'm still super angry at myself for not seeing it in the cinema. About nwd - I doubt they'll have the same amount of money and as long as they are doing it yearly like the NWD team does the time pressure kinda limits them. I really hope the Anthill guys will come up with sth great.

Bigdroptoflat

Monkey
Jan 24, 2008
Maryland
It was the last one,

All of you guys complaining about too much dirt jumping don't seem to get the big picture. If you can make a movie that fits all or most aspects of gravity influenced mountain biking then doesn't that make for a well rounded film that is going to please most people? Of course the people that don't like dirt jumping aren't going to think its a good movie if there is alot of dirt jumping in it or vice versa with freeriding and downhill but aren't you being a little closed minded then?

Being someone that does most of the types of riding represented in this film I really enjoyed the mixture of riding styles.

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
Eh - I wasn't to stoked with it.. It was good, but I was expecting better. Not one that I'll get a DVD of..

But then again, maybe I should try watching it while not completely wasted. lol :think:

Last edited:

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
Anybody else have any thoughts about the quality through itunes?? I downloaded it and it seems like the quality is only as good as most internet downloads, and it seems the vocals are usually off a bit with the sound.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
I actually enjoyed nwd10.. I'm surprised nobody commented on Berrecloth's segment.. I thought he stepped his game up, backflips, some of the sickest turndowns I've seen on 26" wheels, and his signature 360s off massive drops.. I gotta watch Voreis's segment again.. I was distracted. Hell Barge segment was awesome.. Gee's segment was a cool, but a bit disappointing, mainly due to the trails he was riding not being all the exciting to watch.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
I'm still super angry at myself for not seeing it in the cinema. About nwd - I doubt they'll have the same amount of money and as long as they are doing it yearly like the NWD team does the time pressure kinda limits them. I really hope the Anthill guys will come up with sth great.
hm red camera + lots of heli shots + the hell barge smells like a lot of money...

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
hm red camera + lots of heli shots + the hell barge smells like a lot of money...
That's what I was thinking when I was watching it ;) Though I must say I rewatched half of it and I think I still like it, I simply expected more as I was promiced more and apparently the more part was the barge and heli shots (which I don't really like because in some cases it gave you the feeling of being far away from what's going on the screen - ie. Gee's segment).

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
It was the last one,

All of you guys complaining about too much dirt jumping don't seem to get the big picture. If you can make a movie that fits all or most aspects of gravity influenced mountain biking then doesn't that make for a well rounded film that is going to please most people? Of course the people that don't like dirt jumping aren't going to think its a good movie if there is alot of dirt jumping in it or vice versa with freeriding and downhill but aren't you being a little closed minded then?

Being someone that does most of the types of riding represented in this film I really enjoyed the mixture of riding styles.
good points, but in my experience the more one tries to please everyone, the weaker the product. just imagine if a gravity vid maker decides to try to appeal to all cyclists and adds XC, road, cyclocross, velodrome, keirin. pretty soon you find your audience is tiny, except for novelty viewing.

I think the best stuff is done by those who do what they love, regardless of how many people may buy the DVD. people dig quality more than they dig broad-based appeal, I think. the sellability of race-only videos shows there's no need to go broad-spectrum.

for as long as I can remember Derek Westerlund's worked his movies like high-budget big mountain skiing / snowboarding movies... helicopters, fireworks, big debut celebration. he has a big enough budget in mind that he can try to please a lot of different disciplines.

personally I like niche movies. I'd rather watch a pure freeride/slopestyle and a pure DH/4x separately, instead of something that gives each niche a half-arsed treatment.

ekimox

Monkey
Jun 17, 2009
Kurt Sorge is a guy who doesn't get enought credit in this sport. His segment had a little of everything with a serious emphasis on some big mountain gnar. He always seems to fly under the radar in vids but his part really stood out to me. The kid is sick. Well done.

BigHitComp04

Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
Morgantown, WV
Kurt Sorge is a guy who doesn't get enought credit in this sport. His segment had a little of everything with a serious emphasis on some big mountain gnar. He always seems to fly under the radar in vids but his part really stood out to me. The kid is sick. Well done.
I agree. That huge front flip he did was sick! As was the no footed can off that massive drop.