Quantcast

(o\_!_/o) Saturdays are for race car testing GMT (o\_!_/o)

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Took the kid for a trail ride. It’s her second one and she is doing well. Where we went isn’t in the city but outside it, there’s a part you go under the road in a drainage tunnel. It’s covered in graffiti and today had a chick in thigh high boots, mini skirt and corset doing a photo shoot. Kinda suppressed me. No pics cause the kid was with me.

A few years ago a good friend of mine sold a set of wheels to a local woman who was an ex GF of a good friend. She was a tenured math professor bat UVA. She told him to meet her at a local tire shop to do the swap. My friend assumed she had an appointment to get her car worked on. When he showed up he asked the guy at the counter if Michelle was there getting her car worked on. Counter dude smiled said no but she was out back. Buddy walked behind the shop and found her buck naked on a stack of tires getting her picture taken by her new creepy boyfriend. Money and wheels were quickly exchanged with little eye contact.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
A few years ago a good friend of mine sold a set of wheels to a local woman who was an ex GF of a good friend. She was a tenured math professor bat UVA. She told him to meet her at a local tire shop to do the swap. My friend assumed she had an appointment to get her car worked on. When he showed up he asked the guy at the counter if Michelle was there getting her car worked on. Counter dude smiled said no but she was out back. Buddy walked behind the shop and found her buck naked on a stack of tires getting her picture taken by her new creepy boyfriend. Money and wheels were quickly exchanged with little eye contact.
DAMMIT. i missed all the good chit when i lived in c'ville

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DAMMIT. i missed all the good chit when i lived in c'ville
If I had a time machine I would take you back to the night when I chucked a couch out of the window of some frat house. How I managed to not get arrested or beaten down that night I cannot explain.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
@stoney I'd definitely try the Bolt for that journey… but beware that your winter results won't be nearly as rosy.

Blame increased rolling resistance on wet roads, perhaps some marginal increased load due to lighting, decreased pack efficiency at cold temperatures (especially after cold soaking all day)… and, the biggest factor, use of the resistive heater. AFAIK only the 2013+ Leaf has a heat pump. Resistive heaters just suck down juice.

Relevant data point: On my nominally 279 mile-range-when-at-90% SOC Tesla I can go to Winter Park in actual winter conditions, ski all day and not charge, and then get home with ~75 miles showing. The problem for you is that there are no DC quick chargers in Idaho Springs as of yet. Level 2 @ 6 kW is perfect for overnight charging at home, but pretty terrible to top off in a pinch on a cold day as here.
2 Chargepoint at Beau Jos.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Drove the Bolt to Winter Park for a distance test today; it's 79 miles, 50 of mountain, away. Orientation for Haley's all-mtn ski devo program was today. We left the house 224 miles of charge and got there with 109, but got back to the house with 130 miles of charge. The re-gen is pretty damn impressive if you don't drive like a hoodlum, especially uphill.

Hannah climbed out of the crib today at nap time with a thud. Wifey caught her again at bed time, so she has the guardrail in place now. She's fully migratory now. Giddy. at least she can't open doors yet.

I got the hitch installed onto the Bolt so that I can put my bike rack onto it. Debating a roof rack and ski rack then trying to drive it to WP. Assuming it's not snowing (I'd take the Forester then) and traffic's not bad, I am pretty sure that I can make it fine. Worst case, there is a charger in the town up from WP and one one the way home , though the Idaho Springs one I could see being busy.
Won't anything on those external racks kill your economy?

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
2 Chargepoint at Beau Jos.
Those appear to be standard J1172 plug level 2 EVSE, 6.6ish kW. Like I said better than nothing. Your Bolt can accept 80 kW from CCS DC fast chargers, I believe, and 80 (albeit tapering from the peak) >> 6.6, but that infrastructure isn't built out yet.

Context: Most of the Tesla Superchargers these days do 140 kW, and eventually the chargers will be upgraded to 250 kW, which my big-battery 3 can accept.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Won't anything on those external racks kill your economy?
Yes. But when I look at dollar per mile to drive, it's still way cheaper than the Forester. Plus with the time I'm leaving anyways because of Haley's devo program, it almost makes sense just to go up to Fraser for dinner

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
fwiw @vinnycactus has a trek and has fucked it up multiple times already. if i was looking for a 27.5 all-rounder i'd go for a bronson or, for a bit less travel, a shredd doggggg
I will say that even though I've gone through chainstays tterk is pretty quick with turnaround. There's that and I had to loctite pivot bolts. Haven't broken the front triangle yet so that's good.....

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
What year and size bike are you running?
Yep. JB has it right. 2018 18.5 Remedy 8. I'm 5'8" and I felt better on the 18.5 rather than the 17.5. Aside from the broken stays and the pivot bolt issue, I have to say I really like the bike. This coming from a someone that was an uber bike snob previously. Not on dentist level..... maybe hygienist level. I'll prolly buy another one when the time comes. Plug and play.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
Just a guess - carbon stays?

I personally really like the idea of alloy stays - I seem to beat the ever-living shit out of my stays, and I'm kinda glad that they are alloy...
Actually alloy. I don't think it was a case of failure due to poor quality. Me and @jstuhlman rode some pretty rowdy shit the day before and I had a bunch of dead baby head strikes to the frame.