Quantcast

Oakley Jawbones

mtnbkr53

Chimp
Aug 13, 2008
everywhere
Im thinking of getting a pair of Oakley Jawbones, would any of you recommend them or any other pair for mountain and road biking?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Try them on, Jawbones fit like crap on my face, but they might work for you. I really love my Radars for the road bike, but I wear goggles MTBing usually, so I can't give any reviews on that front.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Are you exclusively looking for Oakleys? Take a look at the Pivlock V90 from Smith. I've had mine for about a year now and they are by far the best pair of riding glasses I've ever owned.
I'm going to have to check those out.:thumb:

On the road, I'm a ran of having rimless glasses, so I can do the quick look-back for traffic. I find a frame with a thick rim around the lenses usually gets in the way.
I'm using Oakley Racing Jackets right now, but not fond of them on the road.

I'm curious about the Jaw Bones as well, I'll have to try them on.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I've got Flak Jackets and my only beef is that they stick out behind my ears and poke into my helmet, so I can't wear them on the bike. I have a pair of Tifosi Q somethings and the arms are great and I won't cry if I lose them.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've got Flak Jackets and my only beef is that they stick out behind my ears and poke into my helmet, so I can't wear them on the bike. I have a pair of Tifosi Q somethings and the arms are great and I won't cry if I lose them.
I have that problem with my Oakleys sometimes as well.
They interfere with the Roc Loc on my Giro and on my Met.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Flak Jackets let in too much air, debris, etc for anything other than casual use in my opinion, fit my skinny head well though. The Jawbones are more full coverage and seem to do a better job with dust & debris from the trail as they wrap better and sit closer to my cheek. Vented lenses so they still breath though. The Radars on the road really block the wind and as mentioned, no blocked view when turning your head to check traffic.

I wear contacts (nearly blind without them) so something with interchangeable lenses is pretty much mandatory for riding. For muddy days, I still have an old pair of Optic Nerves with various lenses. The optics are nowhere near as good but they're cheap and if they get scratched up in the mud I don't care as much.