Quantcast

Oakley sold for 2.1 billion today

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Straight from the article:
Oakley, with yearly sales of about $920 million, is known for sunglasses worn by jocks, cops and others.
A first...an upscale boutique company individually owned bought by another...rathen than a conglomerate gutting, walmartizing and megaloopolizing.

Does this mean Lopes will now race in Prada gear?

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
Hmmm, wonder what that will mean to the production line. I have to admit that I am a Oakley fan, but I have not been fond of the later models looking much like these big designer sun glasses......however...I hope they will keep some of the older and more hard core designs....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I wonder what this will do to the sellers of fake black market oakleys that reside in the Washington D.C. area.
you think it's bad there...drop in on a good old North Carolina flea market and get anything "O" for $10.00. Gold metal mirror fade tent and all.

As for the assless chaps, Lopes might have to EP a pair, but something tells me Gracia already owns a pair.:crazy:

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
After what Lux did to Arnette it is going to be very interesting to see what happens to Oakley.
IMO Lux ruined Arnette.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
After what Lux did to Arnette it is going to be very interesting to see what happens to Oakley.
IMO Lux ruined Arnette.
No
When Baush and Lomb bought Arnette, they screwed the brand hard. Bausch killed Arnette....
Luxxotica bought Bausch and Lomb and helped the brand (arnette) recover from the screwing BnL did to em.
Lux is a bad ass machine, they will leave O to do business as usual I think......but they might crap a brick when they see some marketing and 'fluff' expenses at O.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
No
When Baush and Lomb bought Arnette, they screwed the brand hard. Bausch killed Arnette....
Luxxotica bought Bausch and Lomb and helped the brand (arnette) recover from the screwing BnL did to em.
Lux is a bad ass machine, they will leave O to do business as usual I think......but they might crap a brick when they see some marketing and 'fluff' expenses at O.
Ok, I'll give you that, but LUx just barely stopped the bleeding, not sure I could say that they recovered.They are far from where they were. Not long ago at ASR they had Killer Loop, Ray Ban and Arnette all in the same booth. That's not right IMO.
I will give you that Lux is a well oiled machine, hopefully they don't pull the plug on all the marketing and "fluff" that kinda makes O what it is..

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Ok, I'll give you that, but LUx just barely stopped the bleeding, not sure I could say that they recovered.They are far from where they were. Not long ago at ASR they had Killer Loop, Ray Ban and Arnette all in the same booth. That's not right IMO.
I will give you that Lux is a well oiled machine, hopefully they don't pull the plug on all the marketing and "fluff" that kinda makes O what it is..
Ya...I was out of line saying Lux helped them recover, but you said it well with 'stopped the bleeding'. I was living near the arnette offices, my wife was their premiere MTB athlete when BnL bought them and it was like a real bad hurricane that went through there...
O is too big of a goliath to really do too much damage-I think the real key will be how much Jannard will still be involved, he is Oakley.

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Ya...I was out of line saying Lux helped them recover, but you said it well with 'stopped the bleeding'. I was living near the arnette offices, my wife was their premiere MTB athlete when BnL bought them and it was like a real bad hurricane that went through there...
O is too big of a goliath to really do too much damage-I think the real key will be how much Jannard will still be involved, he is Oakley.
Yeah, can't remember what race i was at when the word hit about BnL buying Arnette. Everyone pretty figured they were dropped from the program. I think the TM was gone almost immediately.
It's been a while so the details on my experience are sketchy, but I do remember that "hurricane" running through the industry at the time.
Good for Jannard though..1.3 BILLION!!! and it all started with grips..

What about the sub-brands like Dragon, Oliver Peoples, how do you see that playing out?

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
Bring back FrogSkins

I still have my original pair of Frog Skins from the mid-80s. R.L, Osbourne was sporting a pair in Freestylin' mag and I had to have a pair.

We'll have to wait and see what happens to Oakley in the future. I do love the optical quality of their lenses, though.

toby

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Yeah, can't remember what race i was at when the word hit about BnL buying Arnette. Everyone pretty figured they were dropped from the program. I think the TM was gone almost immediately.
It's been a while so the details on my experience are sketchy, but I do remember that "hurricane" running through the industry at the time.
Good for Jannard though..1.3 BILLION!!! and it all started with grips..

What about the sub-brands like Dragon, Oliver Peoples, how do you see that playing out?
Ya, I was always told Jannard started oakley with $78 on his credit card. Also do not forget about FOX glasses too that O is making haha....I really do not see things changing too much, based on what I have heard this all looks like more icing on Lux's cake-time will tell I guess.