Quantcast

Obtainuim Ti Spring (IZIMU)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
So i went ahead and got the Obtainium Ti Spring for my RockShox Vivid Check out the difference:

With Stock 350lb Coil

With Obtanium 300lb Ti Spring

Bike now weighs 39.5 Lbs with the Profile Cranks.... lol

Thanks to the Morewood guys for the hook up, and thanks to the Obtainium guys for a quick turnaround on delivering the Ti Spring.

Last edited:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
That's a huge weight drop.

I just bought a 325# old Progressive Ti spring, and it only saved me about 200g. Still plenty seeing as I got the spring for dirt cheap, but man... I'd love to dump 1 full pound off the bike.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
dave i hate you! i also hate you freaking AWSOME! bike! lol

looks nice! i missed you on sunday! i was looking foward to seeing it! lol

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
The down part of the Obtainium Coile is that they only come in 6inch. So for the larger shocks you need an adapter. but ehh, looks likes it will work fine!

Can't wait for this weekend!

the 350lb was a bit stiff for me, this bike has very loe leverage ratio, 350lb felt like a 450.... with the 300LB ti, it feels plush... not i have to tune the shock this weekend!

but thanks!

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
Any issues with the spring not seating right. I just put an obtainium coil on my vivid on a shocker. at half travel there is this horrible click. feeling around while compressing the shock, the spring is slightly moving on the collar opposite the adapter. I have tightened the preload, and checked everything multiple times. I haven't heard a response from the e-mail I sent obtainium yet.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Any issues with the spring not seating right. I just put an obtainium coil on my vivid on a shocker. at half travel there is this horrible click. feeling around while compressing the shock, the spring is slightly moving on the collar opposite the adapter. I have tightened the preload, and checked everything multiple times. I haven't heard a response from the e-mail I sent obtainium yet.
No, not at all.

I don't head any noise at all, and the coil doesn't move at all. Did you get the mounting adapter with the coil? if so, check to see if it cracked or is bent. Have you tried taking the coil off and flipping up side down?

I'm sure you double and trippled checked, but if you didn't.... Mine mountain perfectly fine and no noise...

If the coil is moving while compressed it may be mounted incorrectly, please double check. And stop compressing it until you figure it out, don't wanna mess up that thing u know.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Darryl, can you post of a picture of your chock, please? i'd liek to see what you;re talkign about. when you have a chance of course.

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
When did you e-Mail them?If you post some pics(I know it will be difficult to get at half travel)it would help.Do you see any marks on the spring?If you don't see anything on the sides check where the tips of the end coils come into contact with the next coil.Tell us what you see.Also see if there are any marks on the lip of the collar.Either post them hear or e-mail them to me,I may be able to help.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Darryl, i think i know what the issue is.... take out the Coil and flip over the adapter (have you tried that) with the photo above it's looks like the coil is flush.... i say take off the coil and sit on a flat table with the adapter on top of it, to see if the coil is strait,

also check to see if the bottom preload is installed correctly.... (i mean i know you did all these just trying to see if any works, these coils are cheap!)

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
BTW, the bottom out Foam thing, is supposed to be located at the bottom of the Shaft.... maybe that could be it? see my shock..... move it to the bottom and then test again when you get a chance.

Last edited:

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Get DHRracer some info...he just might know someone who can help....and he has nothing to do on fridays anyway.

DarrylB

Monkey
Jan 16, 2008
the secret loam!
I cranked down the pre load just a bit more, put the bike on the ground and gave it a good compression. One big NASTY clunk and it stopped. just came back from a ride, I didn't hear a thing seems to be good. Shock and coil feel amazing!!! BTW

thanks for all your input, I know who to ask now if it comes back.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
does obtainium have plans to make longer springs ? I would love put this on a Knolly
DT when I get a CCDB and the frame.
They make springs for the CCDB, all of their Coils are 6 Inch, but you can order mountain or Spacer adapter to fit the shock, works like a CHARM!