Quantcast

Odi Lock-Ons

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
hey,
I was trying to remove my grips the other day in order to cut down the handlebar, and i stripped one of the little 2.5 allen bolts, the bolt is smooth now and wont grip the 2.5, or a 3, is there anything i can do to get this bolt out?

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
Go to the harware store and get an "easy out" it's a reversed drill bit. Tap it into the bolt and then attach a drill motor an out it comes :)

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
its too tight, is the "easy out" small enough to fit into that bolt head or do they make different sizes?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
acair422 said:
its too tight, is the "easy out" small enough to fit into that bolt head or do they make different sizes?
Cut a big slot across the bolt and use a flathead screwdriver.

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Or if you have a drill, try drilling straight through the bolt in the gap. One or two holes should weaken it enough, or you could use a bit of stiff wire to turn it. Actually, drill a hole in the bolt head and use the wire.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Darkreaper said:
Or if you have a drill, try drilling straight through the bolt in the gap. One or two holes should weaken it enough, or you could use a bit of stiff wire to turn it. Actually, drill a hole in the bolt head and use the wire.
Unless this guy has some lock-ons that are different than mine, there's not enough room in the gap of the clamp to do this, and the bolt is recessed into the clamp so the second isn't an option either.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
yea i can't cut across the bolt because it's recessed, so i shud go to the hardware store and buy the "easy out" or use a small drill bit and drill through the bolt?

Darkreaper

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Away in the head
Drilling through carries a risk of drilling through the threads of the actual clamp, then it's buggered. I keep forgetting to check my grips when I'm out, sorry, so I can't remember exactly what they look like.

Biscuit

Turbo Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Pleasant Hill, CA
Pretty much everyone has had this problem. My latest set came with different bolts, so maybee ODI has fixed the problem.

Get a big set of pliers of channel locks, and basically twist the entire lock-on/grip off.

You can try leaving it as is and popping it back onto the bar with a mallet.

Or..

Take a screw driver, stick it inside the grip, and wedge it between the grip and the lock-on to get it off your grip.

Then, go buy a new set of lock on's and don't tighten them so much.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
i didnt tighten it so mcuh, but there was some dirt in the bolt, that i didnt see so i couldn't get the allen head in all the way, then it just stripped....thanks for the advice tho

B_LOWrider

Monkey
Aug 18, 2004
Santa cruz
ive cut them off with bolt cutters. If you have a pair it take 10 secs but you will destroy the clamp. Ive also ridden without one side clamped for a couple months will out any damage. I hope odi fixxed this...becasue they always strip, even the allen wrench they send with it doesnt fit right.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Just drill off the head of the bolt. As soon as you get through the head, it will snap off. All you've damaged is the bolt. Use some pliars to get the remaining part of the bolt out. Just did this a couple months ago on some grips that had been on for a couple years.

acair422

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
now can i just ride it with one bolt, or do i have to order a new clamp from odi or something, or can the bolt be found at a hardware store?

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I have had this happen multiple times, I always first try using different brands of allens since they are often ever so slightly different and where one will strip another will remove the bolt (Pedros seem to be the most accurate). If that doesn't work I try usingn a torx. I can't remember the correct size but use one that is slightly larger than the stripped socket and then tap it in with a hammer, the sharp sides of the torx get a great bite on the bolt.

I have never not been able to get a stripped lock-on bolt out with one of these techniques. I'd save trying an easy out or anything else until you have exhausted the two above methods.