Quantcast

off season training/fitness question

igjr

Chimp
Aug 23, 2001
CO
I'd like to hear JOJOs (or any other trainers or coaches) opinion on this one.

For the past several years, I've spent a great deal of time in the weight room over the course of the winter months. Usually 3-4 months in the pain cave. This year, I'm looking for something to augment my weight training with something that will compliment my time on the mountain bike.

I've been thinking about Pilates and/or Yoga. From what I know about Pilates, it helps with muscle balance and core strength. Yoga, with balance and stretching/flexibility.

My typical weekly winter schedule is about 8-10 hrs on the bike, with 2-3 days in the gym, depending on the phase of my training. I've been talking to a physical therapist friend of mine, and he suggested notching back the bike an hour or so and replacing that with Pilates.

Anyone have any experienced opinions of supplimenting weight training with Pilates and/or Yoga? Pros and Cons? Feedback would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

DEMON

Chimp
Sep 20, 2001
maple ridge b.c.
this might sound stupid but give kickboxing a try , i has the same benifits of yoga and pilates , but with added benifits of self confidence , and the ablity to defend yourself should the need arise . in kickboxing you work on flexability , cardio , core strength (abs,obliques, lowerback) hand and leg speed etc.

Nov 28, 2001
I think any activity that keeps your cardiovascular system conditioned in the off season will be a benefit. I think time away from the bike in the winter will prevent burnout during the riding season too. I would recomend running 2 to 3 times a week to keep your aerobic system fine tuned, and your weight down.
PS I love your reference to the gym as a pain cave!

jugdish

Chimp
Jul 10, 2001
Colorado
You are way more into it than I, I consider weight training to be lifting 12 oz. at a time. Try XC skis, your on singletrack (sort of), outside and as I've said before in the spring the climbs seem very easy!

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
I've been doing yoga and Pilates for about a year now, and can really see an improvement in my confidence, balance, endurance, and strength. I'm doing more of the "active" (Ashtanga and Iyengar) types of yoga, and lately have been using the Pilates "bodyring" (a round metal band for resistance), and have also added some balance ball routines. In addition to classes, I've had good luck with the Living Arts and Yogazone videos.

tammy