Quantcast

off topic.... 4x4 questions... shocks

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
Ok, those of you out there that do a bit of offroading... I'm lookin at getting new shocks for my silverado 1500 and need some advice on what shocks are good and what ones suck...

I'm looking at these since I don't do a ton of off-road (the truck is also a daily driver)

Then of course you have these... but have heard some people say they hate em, and others that they love em... so?

Or do I just run to my local parts store and pick up a set of shocks (they have rancho's in stock, not sure what model though) and they'll do just fine for a bit of off-roading? I'm not climbing rocks or anything, but I do like to get the truck muddy, and take it down some trails.. But also don't want the truck to ride like a tank when on the road.

Opinions welcome...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
slcpunk21 said:
<snip> I'm not climbing rocks or anything, but I do like to get the truck muddy, and take it down some trails.. But also don't want the truck to ride like a tank when on the road.

Opinions welcome...
I'd say get whatever. My aunt & uncle live in the Rockies and occasionally drive crazy old jeep roads/trails with an old GMC Jimmy with stock shocks. I doubt you'll need anything "specialized" unless you want to go fast. :)

-S.S.-

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
Have a look at the Bilstein 5100. That's what I've been using for 4 yrs, the ride is fairly firm, but not harsh. I've also used Rancho's for years(the 9000, not the RSX), and I'll never buy another set of Rancho shocks again. They leaked and rattled...not worth the money. The Bilsteins are lasting much longer, and ride better.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I've got Bilsteins now. Had RS9000 ranchos for a while, didn't really like them. Don't they put Bilsteins on stock z71s from the factory?

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
Offroad truck shocks are much like mountainbike shocks. Some people can get by with Monroes (low end Fox Vannila) but some people need custom valved remote resevior coil overs (Avy) so ask your self, am I going to be driving the wheels off my truck, or just driving cautiously down a trail.

Unlike a bike, the shocks on a truck are just for dampening (unless you buy coil overs) so you can some times get by with a little less than you may think.

My buddie has a Cherokee with a booty-fab lift and $10 shocks that performs well in rather difficult trail sections. It performs nearly as well as my Jeep that has a $1000 in suspension mods.

So if I can offer any advice it is to have shocks that work, and make sure everything else is in good shape.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
ummbikes said:
Offroad truck shocks are much like mountainbike shocks. Some people can get by with Monroes (low end Fox Vannila) but some people need custom valved remote resevior coil overs (Avy) so ask your self, am I going to be driving the wheels off my truck, or just driving cautiously down a trail.

Unlike a bike, the shocks on a truck are just for dampening (unless you buy coil overs) so you can some times get by with a little less than you may think.

My buddie has a Cherokee with a booty-fab lift and $10 shocks that performs well in rather difficult trail sections. It performs nearly as well as my Jeep that has a $1000 in suspension mods.

So if I can offer any advice it is to have shocks that work, and make sure everything else is in good shape.
You hit it right on the head there bud! That's what I was trying to ask basically are either of these worth the extra money to have on my truck. Well I asked myself this and decided on the edlebrocks.... just have a good versitle type setup. And since I'll be towing a trailer a bit they'll help out with that too. So I spent a little more than I wanted to, but I honestly think it'll be worth it in the long run. Especially since I'll do a bit of off-roading with them too.

Since stock ones were just a little less than the edlebrocks, and I have the z71 off-road package on my truck I didn't want to downgrade at all and be un happy with them.

Yeah I understand what the shocks do, they are just dampers.. but honestly dampers are what really makes a suspension setup... springs not a huge deal.. but dampers are what control everything. All depends on what you're doing with em. :thumb:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
slcpunk21 said:
<snip>Well I asked myself this and decided on the edlebrocks.... just have a good versitle type setup. And since I'll be towing a trailer a bit they'll help out with that too. So I spent a little more than I wanted to, but I honestly think it'll be worth it in the long run. Especially since I'll do a bit of off-roading with them too.
Are you getting new ones because your old ones have gone ****e, or are you upgrading?

-S.S.-

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I am a proponent of high-end coil-overs such as Sway-A-Way, Bilstein, King and Fox but those Edelbrock shocks you posted are actually really good shocks for the price. Edelbrock licenses the inertia valve technology from Ricor and basically those shocks are a cheap Swinger 3 way for your truck. If you do not plan to do additional mods and or go really fast over washboards/ whoops etc. Those Edelbrock shocks will work very well for you. Also as mentioned Bilstein 5100's are very nice for the price. We Run Sway-A-Way Racerunner coil-over's on our Tacoma & 4Runner but they have aftermarket control arms etc.

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
SkaredShtles said:
Are you getting new ones because your old ones have gone ****e, or are you upgrading?

-S.S.-
Both! HAHA..

Just lookin for somethin new and the stock ones for a z71 are 63 +tax/shipping and the edlebrocks online are 69 bucks a piece, but then you add shipping and all that it comes to be 50 bucks less than local. So I decided to go local and got em coming thursday (were supposed to be here tomorrow.. oh well)

slcpunk21

BS is not a bitch.
Feb 14, 2003
finally transplanted
punkassean said:
those Edelbrock shocks you posted are actually really good shocks for the price. Edelbrock licenses the inertia valve technology from Ricor and basically those shocks are a cheap Swinger 3 way for your truck. If you do not plan to do additional mods and or go really fast over washboards/ whoops etc. Those Edelbrock shocks will work very well for you.

Yeah, I don't plan on doing any real big mods to my truck, to high of miles on it, and if I do stuff will deffinately start breaking and I'll be a poor college student again soon, so time to try and save cash some how.

As for high speeds over washboard stuff, um I wish I could haha, but not going to be, just using it as a tow/shuttle vehicle and some rompin quite often. Can't be to hard on her till I'm outa school in 2 years, then we start with the fun stuff.. :sneaky: (I mean I'm gonna be a firefighter, so I'll need a big truck yah know :cool: )

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Bilstein 5100 :thumb: Rancho :nope: (american ****) germans make some good stuff, go with them...

i used to have the rancho's on my jeep they leaked after light trail usage.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Hm, Rancho 9k's are cool for their adjustability (what is it, 5 way adjustable from soft to hard?), but I know of people who complain about it being a rough ride either way. I think procomp came out with some adjustables too. I rode around in a friend's jeep with Edelbrocks, and I didn't really care for them, thought they were kind of expensive actually. Felt kinda the same as my Jeep did stock? Supposedly it stiffens in corners and stuff I thought. Have never heard many complaints about bilstein. I have DoeschTech3000's on my Jeep. The first 6 months had a good stiff ride, but after that they turned to mush. I'll probably try nacho9k's next or them bilsteins. Have you seen the shocks that Fox has put out? :drool: