Quantcast

///Office Chairs

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Working from home means I need a new chair for longer hours at my personal desk. No more fancy corporate cushions for me. Who here knows what’s up with where to put a butt so the spine stays aligned.

I’ve looked at Herman Miller and Håg Capisco chairs all the way down to kneeling hippie devices.

Where’s the sweet spot for price? What’s worked for you? Where the heck can I try a $1,000 chair before buying one, or do I have to just roll the dice?

Last edited:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Every chair with a mesh back and or a memory foam seat has made my back hurt. Went through a few chairs from the local places before finding the right one. Serta, the mattress company, makes office chairs with little, individually wrapped coils fer yer fanny. I can lean back and nap in it for an hour. Not a $1000, but could work until you find your ///Office Chair

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Herman Miller Aeron Task Chair.
I had one of these for the last ~8 years while I was still in the office. I never realized how nice they were until I didn't have one. I got a similar looking one from Costco for home and it is definitively not the same. With the Herman Millers, there are 3 sizes (A, B, C), so make sure you measure yourself and buy accordingly.

It looks like there is a Design Within Reach store in WeHo, so that should be relatively close. You should be able to try the sizes there. Santa Monica, Oxnard, and Beverley Hills too.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Working from home means I need a new chair for longer hours at my personal desk. No more fancy corporate cushions for me. Who here knows what’s up with where to put a butt so the spine stays aligned.

I’ve looked at Herman Miller and Håg Capisco chairs all the way down to kneeling hippie devices.

Where’s the sweet spot for price? What’s worked for you? Where the heck can I try a $1,000 chair before buying one, or do I have to just roll the dice?
Surely a man with your medical history could find a way to finagle insurance to get you something nice, for "health reasons"?

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The Aeron seems to be the favorite. I’ll likely hit a local spot to try one. Thanks @stoney for the location and sizing info. I had seen some of that info in my online searching.

My only beef with the Aeron is the arms. My unicorn chair would have flip up or easily removable ones. In my place I’d like to keep it to one chair for both office work and music studio work, which happens at the same desk space. The arms limit my ability to play bass and perform certain other music tasks easily. For that reason, the Håg Capisco is in the running. I wish I could try them side by side.

I did already grab a kneeling chair. Perhaps that will work as my music task chair. It should be small enough to tuck away easily. If not, it’s got a return policy.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Surely a man with your medical history could find a way to finagle insurance to get you something nice, for "health reasons"?
Nothing I’m looking at it ludicrous for my budget. Given the amount I’ve spent this year hunting down a mystery pain that my docs still can’t identify, I’m not gonna worry about the funding source (insurance vs work reimbursement vs etc.). I’m just looking to minimize my daily pains.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The Aeron seems to be the favorite. I’ll likely hit a local spot to try one. Thanks @stoney for the location and sizing info. I had seen some of that info in my online searching.

My only beef with the Aeron is the arms. My unicorn chair would have flip up or easily removable ones. In my place I’d like to keep it to one chair for both office work and music studio work, which happens at the same desk space. The arms limit my ability to play bass and perform certain other music tasks easily. For that reason, the Håg Capisco is in the running. I wish I could try them side by side.

I did already grab a kneeling chair. Perhaps that will work as my music task chair. It should be small enough to tuck away easily. If not, it’s got a return policy.
Take the arms off. 5mm allen wrench....

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
just get a stressless chair and ottoman.....it is like floating....use a wireless keyboard....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I am also shopping for a new home office chair but /////poor (so will probably pick up something from Costco) but I stumbled into this site which has some "deals" on Aeron chairs:

Cool. There’s a local used/discount Aeron dealer in LA. Beverly Hills Chairs or something similar. It has a mail order online option and generally decent reviews.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
At the tail end of my careen, I mean career, I sat on one of those inflatable exercise balls...
I do that currently.

Went to Relax The Back today to try the Håg Capisco. Super good sales lady was very helpful. Tried a few others and really liked an X Chair with headrest ($1,000 range). I think the Capisco May get the cash. It’s a good fit. Gonna try Herman Miller this week and decide.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Tried the Aeron today. Damn, son. That’s a nice chair. I started off in a C size, and moving to a B size after made it clear how important the sizing is. I’d skip the B, but the C is quite a comfy fit.

The arms also adjust “out if the way” enough that they might not need to be removed. I’ll go back to the shop with a bass and plop down to test it out. My estimate is that there’s enough range of adjustment to make them a non-issue.

I was really set for the Håg Capisco. Now, I need to rethink about how I’ll be sitting and using the chair. Time for a few measurements. The price difference isn’t small, but I’ve been preparing myself to shell out whatever I need to.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Your guys had the best online prices for the Aeron @ $450, and it's on the way...

I just hope the refurbished 20 point inspection includes flatulence remediation...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
At Playhaven we had the high back Ikea chairs, they were really nice with arms and adjustable lumbar. It was nice having them all over the office so I could set it up how I like it easy and there weren't any "bad"chairs.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Did a return trip to check the Håg Capisco. Sat for 20+ minutes at a desk. Brought my bass to try playing while seated. The shop manager was super helpful and observed a few things, and have me some feedback.

After having been using a kneeling chair for a couple of weeks, I must say the sitting experience was different. I liked the Capisco but not as much as I recalled. Time to revisit the Aeron chair store and sit for a bit.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Did a return trip to check the Håg Capisco. Sat for 20+ minutes at a desk. Brought my bass to try playing while seated. The shop manager was super helpful and observed a few things, and have me some feedback.

After having been using a kneeling chair for a couple of weeks, I must say the sitting experience was different. I liked the Capisco but not as much as I recalled. Time to revisit the Aeron chair store and sit for a bit.
The refurbished Aeron arrived last week and aside from being a bit "dirty" (for a $450 chair) it seems like it's in pretty good shape.

I'm digging the lumbar support, and of course the kiddos enjoyed the pneumatic seat height adjustments...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The refurbished Aeron arrived last week and aside from being a bit "dirty" (for a $450 chair) it seems like it's in pretty good shape.

I'm digging the lumbar support, and of course the kiddos enjoyed the pneumatic seat height adjustments...
Wondering if a trip to the shop would allow me to eyeball the condition and cherry pick.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Went back to test the Herman Miller. It was not as comfy as I remembered. I was all prepared to bite the bullet on the high price tag, but it didn’t feel right. I’m liking the kneeling chair more than I expected. It might be the dark horse winner.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I have had Aeron before and the Mirra but I actually ended up liking a cheap Ikea chair much better. I never got comfortable on the mesh. I like cloth chairs with some cushion build in much better.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I’m liking the kneeling chair more than I expected. It might be the dark horse winner.
Well. Now the knee strain is starting to show. The padding on the chair isn’t holding up to regular use. My physical therapist noted that she has a kneeling chair and needs to get it reupholstered and stuffed occasionally to keep the padding from giving out.

I think I ultimately need two chairs, and to change them up on occasion.