Quantcast

*** official midweek gmt ***

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Anybody ever finished a basement? We're looking at a place that fits most of our criteria less a bedroom, but has an unfinished basement. Anybody ever finished out a basement? How much does something like that cost?
Buddy just got quoted $40/sqft for his house in Arvada. Basement is already insulated and has plumbing run.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Anybody ever finished a basement? We're looking at a place that fits most of our criteria less a bedroom, but has an unfinished basement. Anybody ever finished out a basement? How much does something like that cost?
depends on what needs done. a couple we know just did their basement (which is smaller than ours, and has 3 rooms they finished vs the 1 i'm going to finish) and cost $14k, but they had to have some serious foundation work done IIRC.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Are you lacking any powertools? If so, incorporate those missing tools into the plan, and DIY, if you are happy with your current powertools collection, then hire someone.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
I don't recall the particulars, but a co-worker did his before they moved to BNA. As I recall he spent somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 or 11k, and he did most of the work himself. It did increase the value of their home by about 19k when they sold. He also got a free trip to urgent care because of a nail gun mishap. YMMV.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
is it a walk out?
does it have an egress window?
are the basement walls block or poured concrete?
how tall is it to the lowest i beam or duct work?
is the sanitary line under the slab or does it exit out the basement wall above the slab?
if its not a walk out how easily can studs and drywall be brought in and down the stairs?
are the stairs straight or do they have a landing and turn 90 degrees?
are all the mechanicals in the joist cavity or below the joist?
how many amps is the electric panel and much room is left in the electric panel?
is it labeled properly to do a load calc so your not tripping breakers?

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
is it a walk out?
is the sanitary line under the slab or does it exit out the basement wall above the slab?
if its not a walk out how easily can studs and drywall be brought in and down the stairs?
how many amps is the electric panel and much room is left in the electric panel?
Yes?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
is it a walk out?
This why I dont do residential anymore, a roof, walls, couple of windows, doors and I'm good.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Escaped from work early as planned, got me a super short buzz cut and a taco for lunch. Stopped by a sporting goods store and picked up some extra fancy Aesics Gel Nimbus 19 sneakers. Home by 3:30 with scotch in hand. Ima call that winning. :thumb:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
9 degrees freedum on this afternoons ride. Toes were feeling it by the end.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Back from sunny Fargo. Dinner in oven and beer poured.

what are you looking at?
(<-- shameless gear whore)
Just stuff leaning against the wall in the shop. Mostly wide and flat as a pancake. I am not shopping for new ski yet (just got new boots), but if I were, I would be searching for skis like my current RC4 Race SC - not full octane slalom race skis, but close. R12-13 @ 165-170cm, full camber, capable of handling blue ice. :monkey: Any suggestions? :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Just stuff leaning against the wall in the shop. Mostly wide and flat as a pancake. I am not shopping for new ski yet (just got new boots), but if I were, I would be searching for skis like my current RC4 Race SC - not full octane slalom race skis, but close. R12-13 @ 165-170cm, full camber, capable of handling blue ice. :monkey: Any suggestions? :D
I had 170s in the early 80s, not sure how wide, maybe 3". Thats old.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
i think i will be listening to the minutemen a lot over the next 4 years...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Influenza sucks, as I can now personally report.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Sorry. If I was seriously considering skis like that as a daily driver...I'd probably consider just quitting skiing. :D

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
of course :D

a ski buddy keeps telling me I should try some full-on slalom skis.
my skis between 184-188cm, 98-128mm waist, and the smallest radius is like ... 25m, largest 30?
Yeah, you should. I was lusting after Atomic SL:9 in early 2000s, 11m radius and wicked short. The 170cm/13m of my RC4 feels borderline too long, I want to go shorter eventually. I am an old school skier, enjoying shallow high speed turns on steep terrain.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Kick ass workout
40 minutes of spinning on my road bike using my fluid trainer followed by 3 rotations of weights doing sets of 20. The final rotation took me to muscle fatigue during the last 5 reps of each station.. effing good burn

Last edited: