Quantcast

official recommendation thread : whiskey

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I need to expand my horizons since I can't stomach b**r.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
When you're talking scotch, it's spelled: whisky.

I tend to like the Highland malts the best, with my favorites coming from the North (Glenmorangie) and West (Oban). I'm usually not fond of the sweet taste of the Speyside malts, but I really enjoyed the Aberlour we were drinking last time I was in Tahoe.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
As far as Scotches go, I really like Craggenmore, a Single Malt Spey. But I can sit and have a couple glasses of Glenlivet 15 Year without complaint.

Bourbon? Evan Williams Single Barrel is the bomb.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I'm still working on cultivating a palate for good scotch. Purists may scoff but I really like Macallan. I dig Oban too but can't really get down with some of the super peaty stuff.

For bourbon I like Old Potrero, made in SF by the Anchor brewing guys.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
My personal fav is Glen Rothes (prefer the 79). I have been drinking the Aberlour recently at home. Glenfiddich is usually my pick when a bar has a more limited selection.

-ska todd

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I don't have any thing to offer here except that I heartily recommend avoiding Laphroaig.

It's pretty much like drinking smoke flavored furniture polish. With a dash of ass.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
If you like a smoky, earthy, peaty (sp?) scotch def. try Lagavulin, kinda pricey, but if you a savor a good bottle I highly recommend it. If your looking for a similar flavor for less $ try White Horse, its not to shabby either...

Fredzilla

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Seattle
80% of the time I opt for Macallan. I used to like Oban a lot, but the price started rising moreso than other scotches. Dalwhinnie is a favorite as well.

I recently picked up a bottle of Balvenie 12 yr Doublewood which is pretty good.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Pick up a bottle of JMR (http://www.jonmarkandrobbo.com/) sometime too if you're looking for an "easy to drink" type Scotch. I can't find it here in NY but picked some up in London once at the recommendation of a buddy. Was definitely good stuff and no so pricey. More on the "fun" side of the spectrum; not old and stodgy feeling.

-ska todd

gsweet

Monkey
Dec 20, 2001
Minnesota
well, i just finished the glenmorangie 12 year special cask line...i'd vote sherry, port, meidera in that order. but still, given price the 10-year glenmorangie is about as good as i can get. with a little more money i'd tend to drift towards lagavulin 16 year (i love that grab-you-by-the-throat-and-love-me flavor of it)...i tend to find oban overpriced and overrated. but i really would like to scrounge up enough cash to try out midleton. anyone have any experience with it?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Picked up a bottle of Balvenie 12 yr. last week. Seems to be good for the price paid. I'd recommend it.
Balvenie is some tasty stuff! The bottle I had didn't last very long at all!

I also enjoy Basil Hayden, Gentleman Jack and I tried some Macallan when we were out and it was pretty good as well...might have to pick up a bottle for my bar!