Quantcast

oh my gooddd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2007
Barrie, Ontario
Okay so my premium solo runs a 33/12 gear ratio. I ordered an animal vinnie light sprocket and its a 30t. Will I really not like 30/12 ratio?? I am not sure...if the guy messed up or... He counted and said its 30 so he ordered me a animal 30t. But 30/12 isnt good right? I dont wanna have to get a ****ing 11t cog....

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Umm, personally, I now find 25-9 to be to low. I run a 26-9, and will probably go up to a 27t when I have the chance. I ride trails, park, and street and don't care to "gerbil" at things. I would much rather get a crank in and no I'm good to go.

Not to dash your hopes and dreams, I just know that I would really struggle with not having much gear pedaling and stuff. If you do more mellow stuff, probably will be ok, but if your trying to jump stuff thats bigger with out the effects of gravity, you might want to buck up.

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
ya see... there is this thing called flow.
Oh, awesome, you heard of it, too!

On the other hand, not all of us are blessed with dh trails, or trails in the woods where things like head winds don't effect you. I was jumping last week, came around a berm and realized why I had so much more "flow" then normal. The second set I stalled out in the air and did a graceful 50-50. The next time I was sure to use my 26-9 for a good solid crank.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
Your old set get's you 55 gear inches, which is right around everyone's wheel house of what they like to run. Your new setup is going to get you 50 gear inches, a large difference, and you will spin crazy for speed. I doubt you will like it, an 11 tooth rear end will get you back to 54.5 gear inches.

fed tom

Chimp
Jun 23, 2008
leeds
its not that bad. i dont like it but its not as massive a difference as some are making out.

i run 30-10 though, feels best to me.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Simple math gets you the exact gear ratio.
30/12=2.5/1 (2.5:1)
Typical gearing is (approximately) 2.8:1
2.5 is bordering on too light, but some people don't mind it.
I'm well used to 3.125:1, (25/8) and 2.5 would be insanely light in my opinion.
PS, 12YOMountanBiker might have to ask a math teacher to help with the equations, judging by the replies here, it might not have reached an age where these advanced concepts have been taught. :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
MountainBiker12, consider this your warning.

Stop being an ass, or remove yourself from this website. You asked for advice, don't insult people when they give it and the name calling is entirely inappropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.