Quantcast

OH NO!! Its creeky!

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Hey everyone ive got a Marz Z1 MCR and it developed a creak in the crown/steer/not sure. I can't locate it but it is a but scarry and i want to know if anyone knows of an inherant area that can develop a problem?

K

kitchenware

I have a Z3 that has recently developed a creak. I was just bragging about it in a post a week or so ago and now it goes and does this. :rolleyes:

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I have to say it has been a great fork and i am not a gracefull rider:) but i don't abuse stuff to much either. I have been happy with it but I am scared that something may just go snap!

I took the thing off the bike and looked over everything and there are no visible cracks or even stress marks of any kind. I removed the race and nothing. Any ideas?

stringcheese

Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Golden, CO
I got this exact same problem and would like to know the answer too. I heard most mcrs last year were shipped with too little oil in the left leg, a reason why the ecc never works, and I'm wonderin if that has anything to do with it. It's freaking me out and it almost led me to having to buy a new fork. At first I was worried it was my new headset because i pressed the cups in myself with just a nut and bolt and some washers.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Call up Marzocchi and get an RA number. Send it to them for a warranty inspection, and if anything is wrong with it, they should take care of you. It's probably a problem with the stanchion to crown interface, and hopefully Marzocchi would take care of you.

I wouldn't sell it, if it's been a great fork. Marzocchi did have a problem with the press fits, but I've heard the new ones are better.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
Nice! Well sort of but Thanks! I was gonna call tomorrow to see whats up. Unfortunatly i only have one fork!:( Oh well i guess its better thatn no teeth (if it breaks)

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
yep, they had a few bad press fits with the stanchion/crown areas, but it was not only with the mcr's. my z3 did it and they replaced the crown assy, got it back and after a few months it did again, this time it was replaced with a dirt jumper 1 and never did it.
but before you decide to send it back, make sure the creaking is not coming from the crown race, headset cups or stem clamp. you'll feel stupid when you pay shipping for a fork that never had a problem.
Marzocchi rocks, their customer service is awsome, but it is a no non-sense kinda place, they'll tell you it is.

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
what headsets are you guys using, it might not be the fork thats creaking. mine does the same but i blame it on the sh1tty aheadset that came with the bike

diesel

Monkey
Nov 26, 2001
hey my z3 does the same thing. thought it might have been the headset but i replaced that...still creaked. so i went into hardcore recon mode and finally figured out it was the fork. what happenes is everytime i apply the front break it creaks like all hell. ESPECIALLY when i endo. so i rode forward at a slow pace with my hand wrapped around one side of the stanchion/crown pressfit and applyed the break with my other hand (id wear a helmet as i almost fell over doing this, it was kinda funny coz i was in the shop but still..im not responsible for you if you do this and fall on yur arse hehe) ...i heard the creak but felt nothing...so i switched to the other side, one hand on the break one hand on the stanchion/crown assembly..ride forward...apply break....badabing, i could feel the creaking on the right side crown/stanchion assembly.

so im now in the same positionas you guys...one fork. and id rather ride than stare at my bike. so far so good...its been creaking for about a month now. ive heard of people pouring locktite around the assembly and that stops it. also it could be that your preload caps aren't tightened down all the way. im not sure...

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
if you dont mind spending some extra cash buy a chris king. they last over 5 years. but they come at cost, about $150. the cool thing about those things is that if you sell your bike, the head set stays, so you can put it on your next bike. they are worth every penny. and yes you can service them too.

i would not try any quick fixes with those types of press fits. just suck it up and send the fork back to Marzocchi. they WILL take care of it. press fits are just that, a press fit. the two pieces being mated must have a very high tolerance difference in order for it to work. if they do not they move hence the creaking. Marzocchi is using a new process and it sounds like they are still working out the bugs. so just send the fork back, before your warranty expires. and if it already did dont tell.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Originally posted by rfemurfx
if you dont mind spending some extra cash buy a chris king. they last over 5 years. but they come at cost, about $150. the cool thing about those things is that if you sell your bike, the head set stays, so you can put it on your next bike. they are worth every penny. and yes you can service them too.

i would not try any quick fixes with those types of press fits. just suck it up and send the fork back to Marzocchi. they WILL take care of it. press fits are just that, a press fit. the two pieces being mated must have a very high tolerance difference in order for it to work. if they do not they move hence the creaking. Marzocchi is using a new process and it sounds like they are still working out the bugs. so just send the fork back, before your warranty expires. and if it already did dont tell.
Yeah, headsets can creak too, but to me it's a noticeably different creak. If your headset creaks, have a look to see if there's a gap between the front or back of the cup and the head tube. If there isn't (you have to look closely), then it's probably not your headset, but if there is, there's your problem.

It's most likely their forks. They just do that..

rfemurfx

Chimp
Jun 6, 2002
durango
Originally posted by KonaDude

If your headset creaks, have a look to see if there's a gap between the front or back of the cup and the head tube. If there isn't (you have to look closely), then it's probably not your headset, but if there is, there's your problem.

It's most likely their forks. They just do that..

that is a good way to tell if your frame's head tube is dameged, but if you dont see a gap or notice something wierd it doesnt mean there is a problem with the fork. another problem point that gets overlooked much too often is the crown race. that piece HAS to be properly press fitted to the fork so it wont move and cause problems. external inspections are a very good starting point, but not a solution.

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
Originally posted by rfemurfx

that is a good way to tell if your frame's head tube is dameged, but if you dont see a gap or notice something wierd it doesnt mean there is a problem with the fork. another problem point that gets overlooked much too often is the crown race. that piece HAS to be properly press fitted to the fork so it wont move and cause problems. external inspections are a very good starting point, but not a solution.
True, although the crown race won't usually creak unless it for some reason fits loose on the steerer tube (this doesn't include the FSA and certain Cane Creek crown races that are split for easy installation, they should slide right on).

If it pressed on properly, you're probably fine there too.

phlegm

Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
Whistler/Vancouver
Here's my story:

Fork began to creak.

Rode it like that for a couple months.

Got tired of it.

Got new headset, that didn't fix it.

Fork got sent in for warranty.

Fork came back with brand spankin' new '02 crown/steerer/stanction assembly.

Problem solved, nothing since.

Me=Happy rider.