Quantcast

Oh Super ... How much will this cost???

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It sounds like you broke it. Auto Mechanics will help you here. Consulting a doctor may help, but not likely..... The magic eightball might have helped but it broke when I threw it at the cat. Phugging thing never helped much anyways....

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
just got a call.
The guys got down to the bottom of it .. was not the remote.

It turned out to be a poor ground.
The neg wire off the battery ...the other end connects to the body.
The connection looked fine .. but had some corrosion causing intermittent loss of some elec features.

They kinda stumbled onto it ..one guy under the dash ..the other moved the ground wire.
Ground wire was hot.

Remote starter is connected again. New ground cable.
2 hrs labor ... If that's it I'm happy.

Heading down to pick it up.
F'n cars ... almost as complicated as women.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Would that explain the pegged temp gauge though? I would think not.....sounds like your thermostat is stuck? (unrelated).

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
Would that explain the pegged temp gauge though? I would think not.....sounds like your thermostat is stuck? (unrelated).
Yea man .. weird, but must be.
It's all lectric stuff.
Guy said he had the remote starter all disconnected ... put the key in to start it and the fuel gauge was jumping all around ... and it stalled again. They went back to the drawing board and figured it out.

Got the beatah back and she's poppin!
Even my pussy car starter works like a charm.
Gauges are all sane.

$20 in parts
$196 in labor
with tax .... ching ... $216.83

It's always twice what we expect ..I'm used to it.
Glad to have it sorted same day. :thumb:

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
just got a call.
The guys got down to the bottom of it .. was not the remote.

It turned out to be a poor ground.
The neg wire off the battery ...the other end connects to the body.
The connection looked fine .. but had some corrosion causing intermittent loss of some elec features.

They kinda stumbled onto it ..one guy under the dash ..the other moved the ground wire.
Ground wire was hot.

Remote starter is connected again. New ground cable.
2 hrs labor ... If that's it I'm happy.

Heading down to pick it up.
F'n cars ... almost as complicated as women.
Well I was pretty damn close. I knew it had to be an intermittent battery connection issue. I just had the wrong cable is all.

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Yea man .. weird, but must be.
It's all lectric stuff.
Guy said he had the remote starter all disconnected ... put the key in to start it and the fuel gauge was jumping all around ... and it stalled again. They went back to the drawing board and figured it out.

Got the beatah back and she's poppin!
Even my pussy car starter works like a charm.
Gauges are all sane.

$20 in parts
$196 in labor
with tax .... ching ... $216.83

It's always twice what we expect ..I'm used to it.
Glad to have it sorted same day. :thumb:
Holy chit!! Kind of much for labor!! :eek:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Seriously. 100 bucks an hour? The General Aviation shops I used to work in didn't have a labor rate that high. Granted, its been over ten years but I doubt very much shop rates are over 100 an hour. Thats why I do my own work. Yikes.
Ten years ago I was cahrging 45 an hour. Been at 95 for about fiv eyears now. Pretty stock and standard.

Now about the vehicle..... As Sherms and I have gone over with each otehr who knows how many times.......... Any time you have something weird like this... Always ALways ALways... Check your batterty connections first, at the battery, and the attachment points. What I see here in this therad is classic overthinking on what could be the problem. Soon as I read guage goes crazy when it stalls My first thought was battery connection. Yes a loose grounde explains the guages, its a startup sweep to let you know they are working. As the ground came off and the vehicle stalled, it would come back just like when you first turn the key on and sweep the guages.

I have an electrical nightmare on my hands in the morning myself, Rodents have had their way with a 91 sentra...... Going to be a hell of a day

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Ten years ago I was cahrging 45 an hour. Been at 95 for about fiv eyears now. Pretty stock and standard.

Now about the vehicle..... As Sherms and I have gone over with each otehr who knows how many times.......... Any time you have something weird like this... Always ALways ALways... Check your batterty connections first, at the battery, and the attachment points. What I see here in this therad is classic overthinking on what could be the problem. Soon as I read guage goes crazy when it stalls My first thought was battery connection. Yes a loose grounde explains the guages, its a startup sweep to let you know they are working. As the ground came off and the vehicle stalled, it would come back just like when you first turn the key on and sweep the guages.

I have an electrical nightmare on my hands in the morning myself, Rodents have had their way with a 91 sentra...... Going to be a hell of a day
EXACTLY why I said what I said right off. This problem is alot more common than most people realize.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Absolutly, you dont know how many times I see vehicles in my shop, that have been from shop to shop, getting new parts here and there...... Still having all the sme issues only to find its a bad cable connection.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
In the middle of a rat chewed harness on a 2001 CLK320... fun times with german electronics.... weeeee

Dustin.. not gonna be able to make to the races. Still on the hunt for new diggs.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
In the middle of a rat chewed harness on a 2001 CLK320... fun times with german electronics.... weeeee

Dustin.. not gonna be able to make to the races. Still on the hunt for new diggs.
Damn on the Races, I was planning on Hecking the only way I know how... With beer and Bareass

So the race ison to see who can build a wiring harness the fastest tommorrow eh? We shall see.

JetTeach

Monkey
Aug 18, 2011
Absolutly, you dont know how many times I see vehicles in my shop, that have been from shop to shop, getting new parts here and there...... Still having all the sme issues only to find its a bad cable connection.
Drove me nuts on my '97 Silverado till I finally figured it out. The thing that really threw me was it would only do it on a slow speed left hand turn. Something about the way the chassis flexed.

offsprung

Monkey
Aug 5, 2007
Rochester
So I'm driving outta the parking lot this morn from an appt ... car just dies.
Start her up ...fine ..put in gear ..dies. Repeat 3X.

Had her towed to the shop ...thank you AAA ... missed 2 meetings this morn.
She's at the shop and I'm back working from home.

Ole 99 4Runner I have squeaked out 190K on ..looking forward to the 200k mark.
Only hint was ..temp gauge went off the chart, but it's not actually overheated...plenty fluid.

Here's the 2 questions I pose to this group of smarty pantie people:

1. What do you think the problem is?

2. What do you guess this is gonna cost me? :think:
Coolant temp sensor

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Drove me nuts on my '97 Silverado till I finally figured it out. The thing that really threw me was it would only do it on a slow speed left hand turn. Something about the way the chassis flexed.
Had one doing almost the same thing, the lead spacer betweeen the two leads coming off the positive post<side post> had corroded away. Visually it looked fine, bolt was tight.... Voltage drop test said otherwise