Quantcast

Oil on your pads? Here's the sure-fire fix.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Typical AutoZone brake cleaner is a higher percentage of acetone than most chem-lab acetone (cheaper too). You just absolutely cannot spray it directly on the pads. Best way is to spray it on sandpaper and scuff up the pads in a small pool of the stuff, then spend some time bedding them back in. More powerful than day one.

I usually add a little chamfer to the leading edge while I'm at it too. Seems to cut down on the noise a bit.
I've done that a couple of times with success. Let's be brake brothers.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Tell me, how does AutoZone get more than 100% acetone into a spray bottle?
You likely do not own 100% acetone.

What you buy is diluted.

Opening a bottle of that stuff at 100% will pretty much knock you out. You can get it in a chemlab but not likely from an auto store.

EDIT: Just checked online. Looks like some nail polishes claim 'pure' acetone. That might just be a constituent qualifier. If not, that's gnarly.

Last edited:

blackspire

Monkey
Jul 19, 2007
Why is people acting like a-holes? All he did was post a good tip on how to clean brake pads. All of a sudden people are acting like tards and telling him to buy new pads or whatever. Just let it be, it's a good tip, no need to act like idiots.

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
It's not 100% and neither is the chemlab stuff.
That krunk you're drinking isn't 100% krunk, either.

Everything that we would order from the Sigma-Aldrich catalog is at least 99.5% acetone. That's for reagent grade crap that the chem department would buy crates of 20L drums for us to use. The HPLC grade stuff is a little higher (99.96%), and the 100% deuterium-marked stuff is like $2k for 100ml. Your AutoZone stuff might come close, but it's probably mixed with cheaper solvents to cut down on their costs.

You likely do not own 100% acetone.

What you buy is diluted.

Opening a bottle of that stuff at 100% will pretty much knock you out. You can get it in a chemlab but not likely from an auto store.

EDIT: Just checked online. Looks like some nail polishes claim 'pure' acetone. That might just be a constituent qualifier. If not, that's gnarly.
I understand that a lot of those are cut with water to benefit the manufacturer, but there is the 99% acetone available to the public at most hardware stores. You just have to look for it. Also, it won't knock you out. Ether will, but that's the good kind of knock-out. Also, liquid nitrogen is awesome for freezing Snickers bars very quickly for a tasty treat.

Why is people acting like a-holes? All he did was post a good tip on how to clean brake pads. All of a sudden people are acting like tards and telling him to buy new pads or whatever. Just let it be, it's a good tip, no need to act like idiots.
True, but the best part is that someone decided to resurrected this three year old thread.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The moral of the story is that it's good to know that my $30K invested in college has paid off - I saved $20 on new brake pads. Maybe now my investment will help someone else out.
I like the saracasm. Good to know there is a cheapo fix, even if the labor is not worth the savings.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
I like the saracasm. Good to know there is a cheapo fix, even if the labor is not worth the savings.

that's what i was thinking. 2 hours of labor to save some used $20 pads is not worth my time. and that's not factoring in the cost of acetone, which is some nasty stuff that i avoid handling.

a better tip would be, don't spill oil on your brake pads.:biggrin:

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
i replied to the 3 year old thread because i was looking for different methods after a contamination.
did the following this afternoon.
cleaned with iso
burned with lighter
cleaned with iso
cooked in oven
then roughed them up with drill and wire brush attachment. the howl is gone performance sucks. if it doesn't improve with use i just steal my friends pads.

Oct 14, 2007
Radarr...set this straight...
1st off: which 2 brands of acetone would you recommend me buying
also

Oil gets on your pads i should do this, Plz confirm
1)take my pads and rotor dump them into bowl of acetone
2) leave for 1:30 no more than 2
3)clean & wipe down with brown paper

4) good to ride

now some guy was talking about not spraying the acetone directly and putting it oon some sand paper

if so what grade should be used?

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah don't dump the whole pad in acetone if you want the pad to stay on the backplate....

Just wetsand with AutoZone brake cleaner a couple times, scuff it up again, bed them back in.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
ahaha sick, I've gotta try this. Any ill effects I should watch out for, like maybe dissolving the resin that holds the pads together?
Just lighting your house on fire... Acetone is bad Chit, be carefull with it.

It's one of the best grease removers from gore-tex jackets too. I believe it's referred to as dry cleaning solvent.