Quantcast

Oil options for avalanche boxxer cartridge NOT spectro.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Right I'm buying the avalanche cartridge for some 2012 boxxer race
I'm in UK so golden spectro can't be bought here and too expensive to import.
So what is the next best thing for this upgrade?
I have used rock oil for years on marzocchi and rockshox but was wondering if this is suitable for this cart?

I was thinking the mogul race oil would be the best?
I know Craig recommends 5wt but would I be best with 7.5 as I'm 220lb

Thanks for your advice

Last edited:

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Been running Redline in mine for quite a while and it goes up and down as it should, I'm 220Lb with no mid valve and run 5Wt but I do run a stupidly stiff spring so I don't need the midvalve.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
Been running Redline in mine for quite a while and it goes up and down as it should, I'm 220Lb with no mid valve and run 5Wt but I do run a stupidly stiff spring so I don't need the midvalve.
Yes I much prefer overly stiff suspension for some reason
I like almost no SAG.
I'm using a blue spring at the momment but that is firm I may change to the extra firm when I set them all up.
As the forks come with the blue spring.
So 5wt is best then? Regardless of body weight?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you run a stiffer spring than the norm you will run less HSC than normal and probably a bit less low speed too, you may have some problem keeping the rebound speed in check as the range of adjustment seems quite narrow.

My Avy cart is used on a hardtail so it is setup quite a bit differently to a full sus bike so wait for someone else's reply.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Just buy some mx suspension oil and find out, or consult the viscosity/weight charts to know for sure. Buying the right viscosity/weight is much more important than exactly what oil you buy, there are dozens of good brands packaging the same ****.
Right I'm buying the avalanche cartridge for some 2012 boxxer race
I'm in UK so golden spectro can't be bought here and too expensive to import.
So what is the next best thing for this upgrade?
I have used rock oil for years on marzocchi and rockshox but was wondering if this is suitable for this cart?

I was thinking the mogul race oil would be the best?
I know Craig recommends 5wt but would I be best with 7.5 as I'm 220lb

Thanks for your advice

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
I have tried Red Line Lightweight, Motul Factory Line 5wt and Valvoline Synpower 5wt. The Redline did swell the bushes and made the Boxxer really sticky. The Valvoline was too thin, couldn't get the rebound slow enough. The Motul works fine, I'll keep on using it.

soft-compound

Monkey
Dec 29, 2012
I have tried Red Line Lightweight, Motul Factory Line 5wt and Valvoline Synpower 5wt. The Redline did swell the bushes and made the Boxxer really sticky. The Valvoline was too thin, couldn't get the rebound slow enough. The Motul works fine, I'll keep on using it.
Splendid , bushes swelling? Are they nylon or plastic? Never heard of that before.
Do you mind me what your body weight is?
Also regardless is it advised I stick to 5wt for the damping?

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
I've been using Motorex Fork Oil in every fork/shock I've had (Marzocchi and RS) in 5wt and 7.5wt since four years ago. Works well, doesn't swell the seals too much, and it's easy enough to source. As far as I know it's what Marzocchi Canada used to recommend for their oil changes.

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
Splendid , bushes swelling? Are they nylon or plastic? Never heard of that before.
Do you mind me what your body weight is?
Also regardless is it advised I stick to 5wt for the damping?
The bushes (or bushings?) are some metal coated with some plasticky stuff, possibly teflon. I believe the coating swell on those, because the stanchions did not move freely even with the seals removed.

My body weight is 75kg, which is roughly 165 pounds. I am using the medium (=red) spring in the fork.
But like ChrisRobin said, the cartridge should be valved for you, so I would start experimenting with some 5wt oil regardless of the body mass. Read the chart that's near the bottom of this page and choose something that has approximately the same cSt@40C value as the Golden Spectro:
http://www.peterverdone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Suspension_Fluid

Last edited:

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
I've been using Bel Ray fork oil with my avy cart for the last couple of seasons and would recommend it. From the manual the recommended oils:

Golden Spectro 85/150 Cartridge Fork Fluid 5wt or equivalent
Pro Honda HP Fork Oil 5wt
Pro Circuit Fork Fluid PC-01
Yamalube 01 Suspension Oil / KYB 01
Bel-Ray Fork Fluid 5wt

Make some calls to the motorcycle shops in your area they should have or be able to get one of the above oils for you.

Al

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There used to be this time in the early 2000s when RS made pumping rod forks that people swore certain fork oil brands were a magical liquid pressed from the buttcheeks of jesus himself. It was placebo effect at it's greatest.