Quantcast

Oil Recycle Thread

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I did this to the oil that i take off the right leg of my MZ DJ3.

first the oil as it came out:

then the oil after a week of decantation:

you can see al the crap layng in the bottom.

and then i used a syringe with a piece of hose attached to suck the oil from the top.

the desperdice portion: minimum

Saved a little of money in oil but may be bigger savings in big open bath forks like the 888's.
the best part is you do some good for the ecology
hope you like

cheers :cheers:

Last edited:

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
First i used hyperlinks from pinkbike and did not work, now i re-sized the pics 50x50 from original in phothobucket and still are too big.
sorry people

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
Open paint, open file, image option, contract expand (expander o contraer) (I dont know if youd get that, I have it in spanish) reduce to 50% (from 100%), and there you go, image is now sooo much smaller and still as good.

By the way, this is actually a real good idea, and to be honest, its pretty logical, wonder why it hadnt popped up before... props to you!

miuan

Monkey
Jan 12, 2007
Bratislava, Slovakia
Get ready for the susp nerds beating you up for neglecting the viscosity deteriation and other BS. Anyway a clever idea, although sure many of us had been doing this for a long time. Especially with open baths since you get your oil contaminated much faster that it starts to degrade.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
No north americans posting in here?.
I do not care about viscosity loss because it is a dirt jumper style fork and does not get a lot of heat in the oil even being a ported damper.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I just do not get the point of it. Why sit around for a week with no fork so that you could save $15
Seems like if you have a spare fork/bike laying around it would be worth saving some money. I probably wouldn't be that patient though. :)

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
Open paint, open file, image option, contract expand (expander o contraer) (I dont know if youd get that, I have it in spanish) reduce to 50% (from 100%), and there you go, image is now sooo much smaller and still as good.

Maybe a problem with phothobucket because i already did that to the pictures. then i uploaded to pinkbike.
By the way, this is actually a real good idea, and to be honest, its pretty logical, wonder why it hadnt popped up before... props to you!
Because the companies need to sell oil. and people is too lazy to think and just follow the manual when they rebuild a fork.

Un abrazo amigo trasandino.

Patan-DH

Monkey
Jun 9, 2007
Patagonia
I just do not get the point of it. Why sit around for a week with no fork so that you could save $15
You can pull out the oil and put new one, but instead of dumping the old one put it on a transparent recipient and let is sit steady in a safe place (covered), so next time you change oil you have clean free oil, just add a little of new oil to compensate the oil loss that is in the bottom of the cup when you finsh sucking the clear one.:pirate2: