Quantcast

OK, so heres a stupid question....... how do you take off a bolt on axle?

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I'm trying to take off my cassette, and this is the first time i've ever tried to take this back wheel apart. Maybe its because i'm really frikken tired, but I can't seem to figure out how to take the axle out so I can put in the cassette removal tool.

:help:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
On my DT FR for my 05 V-10 I had to grind the inside of the tool to make it fit so I would not have to do that. Screw pulling that thing out every time I clean my cassette. Be smarter than the machine... save time. That's why god gave us dremel and porting tools.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
dhtahoe said:
On my DT FR for my 05 V-10 I had to grind the inside of the tool to make it fit so I would not have to do that. Screw pulling that thing out every time I clean my cassette. Be smarter than the machine... save time. That's why god gave us dremel and porting tools.

I don't want to clean it, I want to get the chain out that my friend somehow got stuck between the cassette and the wheel and now there is NO way to get it out besides taking off the cassette :angry:

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
I don't care if you want to clean it or not... JUST WHY I DID IT! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz you put the carrot right there and what........ May be if I go back and delete it right now you will forget.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
dhtahoe said:
I don't care if you want to clean it or not... JUST WHY I DID IT! Geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzz you put the carrot right there and what........ May be if I go back and delete it right now you will forget.
Hey man, chill out. I was just saying why I wanted to do it. Sorry if it came off wrong.

Its a good idea, but I have a really cheap cassette tool, and I don't think it would work.

mtbpaint1

Monkey
Apr 25, 2005
University of Connecticut
jesus christ someone say something that might help him, its obvious that he doesnt want to put the drill to it or anything.

What does it look like? I mean whats holding the axle from slipping right out? Try taking it out from the disc side of the wheel not the freewheel side, take off the bolt (if there is one) or just loosen everything you can (literally) on the disc side though, dont worry no harm will be done just try loosening everything up and taking it off.

Mar 22, 2005
first you need to have a cassette tool, u stick in the lock-ring. Then you need one of the chain tools so you can turn the cassette the same way to do when you ride it, without letting the cassette move. that should work. sorry, a little confusing

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
bomberboy1234 said:
first you need to have a cassette tool, u stick in the lock-ring. Then you need one of the chain tools so you can turn the cassette the same way to do when you ride it, without letting the cassette move. that should work. sorry, a little confusing
He wants to know how to take off the axel, not the cassette.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
The Kadvang said:
He wants to know how to take off the axel, not the cassette.
Yeah to get his cassette off. But he doesn't need to do that. This is common on the thru axel R hubs. Tool Co. need to make one that fits. Until then grind away.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I say put a punch to it and punch it out. Chances are the jamm'd chain has tweaked the cassette/freehub bobdy which is then jamming the axle causing it to bind when you try to pull it out. If there's no threads on it and is hollow punch it out. If there are threads on it, put a nut on it and beat on the nut so as to not damage the threads.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
BigMike said:
its a "Rocky Mtn" Hub...........................................?
See if there are 4 small holes on the end of the hub like at 12,3,6 and 9 o'clock. Generally you hold these with a pin spanner and use a cone wrench on the other end to take off the "cone" nuts. Then the axle comes out of the hub. Most freehub bodies on DH hubs will come right off at this point. Watch the pawls don't go flying off.

Mike