Quantcast

Ok, Test rode some rides today..and

DomDil

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
I've narrowed it down to 4 bikes, i've decided to give myself a $2400 cdn limit. I'll be doing trail/freeriding, and i will be climbing. Here are my remaining choices.

2002 Brodie Holeshot-$2499 cdn. REG-$3400. This bike is truley sweet, Shiver SC fork, xt parts, hayes hydros. The only downside is its a bit over my range and its a HT ( i kinda wanted a FS).

2002 Specialized Big Hit comp-$2249 cdn-REG $2800. I really liked this bike, it was the most plush out of them all. It was a Bit heavy though.

2002 Specialized Enduro - $1900 CDN- REG 2400. This bike has an Air rear shock and an marzocchi air fork up front. It was really light which I liked, but I would rather have coil.

2002 Iron Horse Ginsu-$1399- REG 2200. You're probably all wondering why this bike is even here, well, the price, it also felt pretty plush, nice part spec..not too heavy..but its an iron horse..does this ride even compare.?

I could use the extra money to buy a new helmet and stuff. For pimp factor the holeshot wins hands down, it felt awsome too. But I dunno about going back to a HT. I need some logical advice, please no "get the holeshot" replys, i'm confused, and it wont help:D

Any help would be appreciated.

Gromit

Chimp
Feb 11, 2002
Well, I've had a 2001 Big Hit Comp for a year now, and I'm totally pleased with it for the kind of riding that I do. You mentioned climbing - what sort of climbing? I'm generally riding around Vancouver, so for me, 90% of the time a climb means an easy but continuous climb for about an hour (sometimes two) with a group of other riders with big bikes and we're in no real hurry.

If I were spending more time riding terrain that was continuously up and down, then I'd probably be happier with a lighter bike like the Enduro.

Cracker

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Toronto
What about an Rocky Mountain Slayer/Edge. The 2002 Slayer frame is super sweet. Climbs like a mother and descends like the devil. Its just around your price range. The parts are good, and they got the weight just under 30lbs. Not too bad for a do it all 5 and almost 5 inch travel bike. I know its not on your list, but I'd recommend checking it out.

:p

powderboy

Monkey
Jan 16, 2002
See Dar Hills, OOTah
I would say the Slayer/Edge is a good option. The only bummer is the Edge's parts spec and the Slayer's air shock.

The new Slayer would be a great all-arounder if your not hucking anything huge.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Some of the air shocks are just as plush as a coil. The psylo race can be set up extremely plush due the negative air chamber. It also depends on how the rear suspension works. I ride a Heckler and IMHO it works better with a slightly stiffer air shock. I've had both. The coil spring for my supposed weight bottomed a lot although I could have sprung up a bit but it was a loaner I used while the air shock was being repaired. I damaged it in a crash. But I think coils are generally more reliable. My Fox air shock on the rear apart from the scratched stanchion(?) has been as reliable as a brick.

evilbob

Monkey
Mar 17, 2002
Everett, Wa
BIG HIT! BIG HIT!

Get the Big Hit Comp. This is the most versitale free ride platform to start with. Yea it's a bit heavy but it sounds like your looking for more of a tail/free ride type of bike. This is where the Big Hit Comp rules. In the Comp configuration you can even explore an interest into DH racing. If you need a longer travel in time up front swap to a DH fork, I have seen them raced at the sport & expert DH level just like this. If you want more travel in the rear and have the 01, 02 or 03 comp frame the 02 DH link and shock bolt right up ( designed that way) and will give you 8.1" in the rear. Want more go to the Avalanche site and check out the aftermarket links to be used with Avalanhe shocks and get 9". Worried about the 24" rear wheel? Don't be.....strong! 24" tires? Nokian, Arrow, Specialized, Kenda, Maxis, IRC and others.........I don't see why people say there is a limited selection! Buy the way, sticky Arrows rule if you need Grip where there is none! Well, hope I helped and good luck and have fun what ever you choose!

DomDil

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Ok, i decided to get the ginsu, sell the fork and front wheel..and buy a shiver SC with a qr20 front wheel. For the price difference, it felt just as plush as the big hit..and better then everything else I tried..its not a cheap bike either ($2200)..but the sale price would have you believe it.
Thanks for all your input.

Gromit

Chimp
Feb 11, 2002
If you're going with Ironhorse, have you considered the G-Spot? I guess you're probably limiting yourself to end-of-season deals, but the G-Spot comes with a 20mm fork (Psylo) and the Ginsu has Hayes mechanical brakes, which are generally considered inferior to any hydro or Avid mechanical brakes. It really depends on how steep/how fast you will be riding.

DomDil

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
the shop i'm dealing with for the iron horse doesn't carry the G-spot..just the ginsu and some high end hardtails

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
Check out eBay right now. I've been looking for a Big Hit Comp as well, and there are a couple available for under $2,000.00 I'm trying to decide between a Big Hit and a Gemini.

L8R

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
You certainly don't want the Brodie. Look what I learned today.

brodie (BROH-dee) noun

1. A daredevil or suicidal jump.

2. An spectacular failure.

3. A sudden change in a vehicle's direction.

[After Steve Brodie, who claimed to be the first person to survive a dive
from the Brooklyn Bridge in 1886.]

Gosh I did not know that.