Quantcast

ok, the fixie thing has gone too far

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
As ridiculous as the fixie trend is, more people might get into riding because of it.

And in the long run that can benefit all of us.
Nope.

Fvck those retards. They clog the roads around here on the weekends all drunk and stupid. They give cycling and cyclists a bad name.

And some douchebag buying a fixie from Urban Outfitters or a 30 year old sh1tty steel road bike off Craig's List and tossing $50 worth of candy colored sh1tty parts on it and then riding to the coffee shop to nurse a hangover benefits anyone HOW exactly?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
And some douchebag buying a fixie from Urban Outfitters or a 30 year old sh1tty steel road bike off Craig's List and tossing $50 worth of candy colored sh1tty parts on it and then riding to the coffee shop to nurse a hangover benefits anyone HOW exactly?
they're not in a car.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
No $800 front wheel, it has brakes, comes single speed, does not come with ironic clothing or cheap beer and cigs. Actually it's nice to see the fixies evolving into something useful for the dumbasses that want them.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
If it can help more people realizing its fun to ride bikes and bikes are fun then I don't see the big problem. Sure a few hipster gets drunk and don't follow traffic regulations but its not like there is not mountain bikers doing the same.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
No $800 front wheel, it has brakes, comes single speed, does not come with ironic clothing or cheap beer and cigs. Actually it's nice to see the fixies evolving into something useful for the dumbasses that want them.
They should offer a package deal with skinny jeans, cap, glasses to match

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Nope.

Fvck those retards. They clog the roads around here on the weekends all drunk and stupid. They give cycling and cyclists a bad name.

End of thread and all future hipster/fixie threads.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
All of our langsters on the floor have brakes installed..... We make the customer take them off themselves if they dont want them.
I guess selling fixies with brakes is a good idea for retailers. Less liability. Mr. Tragic hair might not be able to stop at an intersection and consequently might get hit by a car. Mr. Tragic hair may then sue the retailer saying that they sold the bike without brakes.

Smart move :thumb:

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
most places its illegal to actually ride a bike without a brake, hence the brakes, just like the reflectors are mandatory from the factory...most bike shops remove them however

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
most places its illegal to actually ride a bike without a brake, hence the brakes, just like the reflectors are mandatory from the factory...most bike shops remove them however
Portland, OR had a court case about this recently....a bike messenger was ticketed for not having a brake, she fought the ticket, and lost

spurlicked

Monkey
Oct 9, 2007
Roseville
Nope.

Ridicule...... LOL!! :rofl:

CdaleTony

Chimp
May 26, 2006
I will relate to you my one Chicago Fixie experience...

Last years LATE ride, 2 am Elston ave...
I was rolling about 20 mph and Mr Fixie streaks by. The guy was flying, I couldn't get up to him at 27 mph (No big ring)..
Flying right? Well he gets clear of the crowd and goes into that 'skid stop' thing they do.
Pretty impressive at that speed really. He fish tailed a couple times, LOST it, regained for second, then lost it totally. Bounced off a pickup on the side of the road, splayed out.
Best part though was a cop car rolled up and the cop goes 'Nice going J-off' - and leaves...
:weee:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Eff that crap. I won't ever get one. I like being able to coast and be lazy and use brakes when i need to stop. I don't like throwing my knees up in to my chin to stop. Eff that shizz.

splat

Nam I am
Don't Knock One till you try one. I am currently building up another Fixie. I have had them in the past. ( first one probably 20 years ago ) they are a lot of fun.

and if you feel the need to coast. the one I'm building now has a flip flop hub, Fixie one side , Single Speed freewheel the other side

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
the coffee shop.

and this guy:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
They might be fun to some people. But i'm sure i wouldn't ever buy one. I already have four bikes. I don't really need a fifth. Especially one that won't coast. I like to ride fast and stop with control. I wouldn't have any control if i needed to stop fast on one of those.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Years ago I was skeptical about fixies until a friend convinced me to try one out in downtown Denver on Sunday afternoon. I wasn't really that impressed until my fixie buddy pointed out my reflection on the huge plate glass windows along Blake Street. The facts where - I really did look awesome pedaling down the street in my patch plaid Bermuda shorts, white sunglasses and low slung messenger bag speeding away with the tips of my fingers barely touching the super skinny handle bar. I didn't just look awesome, I was awesome.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Were you wearing skinny jeans that were rolled up with one big roll on each side and yellow converse?

nevermind. I just reread your post and saw that you were wearing shorts.

Rip

Mr. Excitement
Feb 3, 2002
Over there somewhere.
With being a fixed gear rider, I'm sick of fixed gears being trendy. I'll only run brakeless when on the track, otherwise I have a brake on my bianchi and when on the road I try to get in at least 40 miles. I really enjoy my fixed gears. Yes I'm building up another one.

Last edited:
i gave the riding goat to a couple of those guys that wanted to fignt becaude i pased them on my dj bike. long story short i win.
I really dislike the hipster revoloution.
from an industry stand point it is good for bike sales, but as a service professional the people that buy htose bikes and THINK they know what they are doing, they are r-tards.
No offence to people that ride fixie to ride fixie, or are actual bike delivery pros.

yes i am not sober

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
SF Fixie?

08-20) 15:57 PDT SAN FRANCISCO --

A bicyclist was seriously injured in San Francisco today when he slammed into the side of a Muni Metro train, authorities said.
The accident happened about 10:30 a.m. when the male bicyclist was traveling south down a steep hill on Arch Street in Ingleside Heights and hit the side of an M-Ocean View train at Randolph Street, Muni said.

Police and Muni are investigating the accident. Capt. Paul Chignell said a witness had told police that the bicyclist did not or could not stop at the stop sign as he came down the hill, and he hit the train in the intersection.

It was not clear whether the train was moving.

The bicyclist, whose name has not been released, was taken to San Francisco General Hospital with serious injuries, Muni said.

Bus bridges were set up for Muni riders during the disruption in service. Trains began running again just before noon.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Maybe it's going to be another way to thin the herd a bit.

There are just way too many hills and stupid drivers around here to have one of those bikes. You have to be able to stop fast when a driver pulls out in front of you or cuts you off around here.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Is there any information as to what the victim was wearing at the time of the accident? I don't want to make the same mistake.

SF Fixie?

08-20) 15:57 PDT SAN FRANCISCO --

A bicyclist was seriously injured in San Francisco today when he slammed into the side of a Muni Metro train, authorities said.
The accident happened about 10:30 a.m. when the male bicyclist was traveling south down a steep hill on Arch Street in Ingleside Heights and hit the side of an M-Ocean View train at Randolph Street, Muni said.

Police and Muni are investigating the accident. Capt. Paul Chignell said a witness had told police that the bicyclist did not or could not stop at the stop sign as he came down the hill, and he hit the train in the intersection.

It was not clear whether the train was moving.

The bicyclist, whose name has not been released, was taken to San Francisco General Hospital with serious injuries, Muni said.

Bus bridges were set up for Muni riders during the disruption in service. Trains began running again just before noon.