Quantcast

OK, tyre recommendations - which Michies to use....?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
So I'm racing this weekend.

The course (Bringewood, Ludlow, Shropshire, UK) is:

1/10 new loose stuff, some mild off camber
1/10 rocky stuff, small drops
8/10 hardpack, fast, twisty, narrow, lots of "whoops" and jumps.

Weather is baking hot all week, but it's not going to be getting dusty, the ground is too hard there.

My comp15 (tubeless michelin semislick) has just arrived, and I've put it on the rear (just inflated tubeless no problems even though it's a folding tyre).

I was about to slap a comp24 up front as the comp15 packaging recommends, but chatting to a fellow monkey on MSN was advised this is a bad idea, he never runs comp 24 up front, reckons they steer badly.

So, Your recommendations/experience welcomed!

Please, NO posts about maxxis, kenda, etc. I have every current michelin DH tyre currently available, I just want to know which ones you reckon I should run up front:

1) Comp 16 2.2"
2) Comp 16 2.5"
3) Comp 24 2.2"
4) Comp 24 2.5"
5) Comp 32 2.8"

PS if you think the semislick on the back is a bad idea tell me!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
The comp 24 2.5 sounds like the best choice out of your available tires. Its not my favorite front, I like it more as a rear tire. For the rocks and hardpack I reckon its prefect, as for the loose....well at least it slides controllably;)

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
OK, going off on a tangent now: when should you choose a 2.5 over a 2.2?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I don't mind the 24 up front myself...better in dry/hardpack than the 16...16 in 2.5 is really at its best in softer or looser stuff where the side knobs don't fold.

A comp 16 in 2.5 front and comp 24 in 2.5 rear has always been my best bringewood tyre choice. Well, tell a lie, two White Tigers are actually better, but you're all michelin so that isn't an option.

Why on earth are you asking on an American forum though? Ask on Southerndownhill, 99.9% of the members have ridden Bringewood before!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I generally find this forum a lot more knowledgable than southerndownhill, which seems to be for the most part 13yr old kids.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Seb

C16 2.2 front, C24 2.2 rear. run a higher pressure in the rear

2.5 mich side knobs fold over more easly than 2.2s, causing them to washout easier. 2.2s roll faster and are obviously lighter.

what makes you think Bringewood won't be at all dusty with 400 riders ripping it up in the bone dry?

you racing Novice or Open? :thumb: good Luck!

Gary.

SKYWAYBUZZ

Monkey
Mar 16, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA.
C 16 front will slip out on the dry, loose gravel, off camber,but you don't mention any gravel over hard pack just hard pack. A C 32 front would have to be better in dry and I just don't like the 24, too small, no volume for big rock hits, but you only mention 1/10 rocks.

SKYWAYBUZZ said:
C 16 front will slip out on the dry, loose gravel, off camber,but you don't mention any gravel over hard pack just hard pack. A C 32 front would have to be better in dry and I just don't like the 24, too small, no volume for big rock hits, but you only mention 1/10 rocks.

32 is Much too big for Bringewood. Just a lot of un-needed weight really. I've never found a 2.5 comp16 front to slip out at Bringe whatever condition it's in!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
AR_ said:
32 is Much too big for Bringewood. Just a lot of un-needed weight really. I've never found a 2.5 comp16 front to slip out at Bringe whatever condition it's in!
I have to agree, the comp 16 makes a great front tire in any conditions. just go 2.2 for the stiffer side knobs, and feel free to run your comp 15 or comp 24 rear, also in 2.2.

Comp 32 is beyond overkill for a fast/short pedaly course.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Bro...decide what is most important timewise on the course. If it's hardpack, Comp 24 front and rear. If it's rocky...use a 2.5, if not 2.2. Comp 16 2.5 knobs will fold on hardpack...so you could run Comp 16 or Comp 24 in 2.2 front and rear on both ends if it's hardpack with not much time to gain in the rocks.

The Comp 24 will sprint and brake better than a Comp 16 if you're needing lots of contact with the ground...but the 16 will sprint faster on steep stuff and get grip on looser terrain.

To be honest, I say you run a Comp 24 2.5 front with the intermediate ramped knob cut out to open up the knobs a little for any loam on course...and a Comp 16 2.2 on the rear for flat out sprints and a good mix of grip and fast rolling!

if it rains....good luck. :D

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
-seb:
OK, going off on a tangent now: when should you choose a 2.5 over a 2.2?
Seb? I remember a guy named Seb who worked at Mojo... is that you?

Sent some emails back and forth about a BoxxCart last summer...

Anyway - to answer your question, a 2.5 should be used when you need more surface area of the tread in contact w/ the ground,(hardpack) or if you need more air volume to protect against rim damage (rock gardens).

A narrow tread width combined with an agressive tread pattern is best for wet, muddy conditions. Many people believe that wider tires are better for mud, but this is not the case. In order to get traction the tire must find a surface it can get sufficient friction from. In mud, it is best to have the tire dig through the wet slop on the surface, down to the slightly firmer mud/dirt underneath. A wide tread will essentially "float" on top of the mud, never digging in, or gaining traction.

I'd have to agree with Bizutch in that running a Comp.16 up front will fold its knobs on a course that is predominantly hardpack. It is also true that the Comp.24 is not very predictable as a front tire...

If I could make a suggestion:

Lightweight Set-Up:
Front: A "Cut" Comp.24, 2.5"
Rear: Comp.15 Semi-Slick

Heavy-Duty Set-Up:
Front: Comp.32 (big, but the grip it provides w/ the proper psi is impressive)
Rear: Comp.24, 2.5"

For Mud:
Front: Comp.16, 2.5"
Rear: Comp.16 2.2" or a cut 24 2.2" if the mud is drying out and on the firm side...

manwithgun

Monkey
Nov 4, 2004
If you must run a michy up front, S.K.C, Bizutch, and Transend have said all there is to know... I've tried them all on both ends and have come to the conclusion that michelin makes a good rear tire. Regarding semi-slicks, I love em , but they tend to get sketchy if you have to use the brakes in the steeps. Have yerself a ball and let us know how your selection performed.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Cheers guys, lots to think about. At the end of the day I have to admit I'm not great on noticing changes on the bike - I try to put the "right" tyres on when I can be bothered, but in all honesty I don't think I'm a confident enough rider in the corners to notice a difference a lot of the time...

I did recently go from a worn comp 32 front and an almost slick comp 24 2.2 rear to a brand new 2.5 comp 16 front and brand new 2.2 comp 24 rear - the difference was immense, but then you'd expect that going from well worns...!

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Gary said:
Seb

C16 2.2 front, C24 2.2 rear. run a higher pressure in the rear

2.5 mich side knobs fold over more easly than 2.2s, causing them to washout easier. 2.2s roll faster and are obviously lighter.

what makes you think Bringewood won't be at all dusty with 400 riders ripping it up in the bone dry?

you racing Novice or Open? :thumb: good Luck!

Gary.
Alright Gary. You gonna be there? I've no licence this year so I'll be in Open, hopefully conditions will stay consistent so I can compare my times to the main Senior field.

BWood just doesn't strike me as the sort of place that gets dusty, it's all too hardpacked.

- seb said:
BWood just doesn't strike me as the sort of place that gets dusty, it's all too hardpacked.

The open section between woods on the old course always got really dusty in the dry.

Do you know which course you'll be racing? Or did they make a new one for the Nationals? i know there were a few dig days going on a bringewood not long ago..

Ian Collins

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Pacific Beach, San Diego, CA
AR_ said:
You'll get a much better response regarding tire choice for a Uk course on a Uk forum than a US one mate.

Just don't ask on Mbuk, you'll be fine ;)
you might have a point, but a wet course is a wet course....there are gobs of east coast riders on here who ride in the rain all time time...far on here than there are U.K. riders here.....people who work for michelin are on here, people who work at a couple random races a year for michelin are on here :) and overall, this forum reaches a huge array of riders....

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Thanks Ian, that's exactly the kind of reasons I ask things on here, a lot more professionals who like to share their knowledge than the UK forums, it seems.

Ian Collins said:
you might have a point, but a wet course is a wet course....there are gobs of east coast riders on here who ride in the rain all time time...far on here than there are U.K. riders here.....people who work for michelin are on here, people who work at a couple random races a year for michelin are on here :) and overall, this forum reaches a huge array of riders....

All very true, but it doesn't take someone to work at michelin to tell you what a good tire for Bringewood is ;) They could *suggest* tyre x would be your best on the description he's given, when all the locals know otherwise. I know there are a lot of Uk monkeys on here, i'm just trying to suggest he would get a better reponse where there are more Bringewood locals. He may not, but it's worth me suggesting anyway.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well I've since posted on southerndownhill and had much less opinions than I have here. And it's more of "run this one" than "run this one, because". That's what I like about it here, people back things up with comments and explanations.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
S.K.C[U said:
For Mud:[/U]
Front: Comp.16, 2.5"
Rear: Comp.16 2.2" or a cut 24 2.2" if the mud is drying out and on the firm side...
sorry, this is kinda off topic. i have seem pics of the comp 24 cut but i quite understand it, little help? and how the air volume of the mich 2.2 tires compare to a 2.35 high roller? also, hows the rolling resistance of a comp 16 like?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
- seb said:
Well I've since posted on southerndownhill and had much less opinions than I have here. And it's more of "run this one" than "run this one, because". That's what I like about it here, people back things up with comments and explanations.

Well, just to confuse you even further, I like to run a comp 16 2.5 up front on almost everything. I like how that tire bites harder on off camber and holds onto rocks and roots better than a 24. I will run that up front and a cut 24 in the rear alot of the time.
I know most people say that the side knobs fold on that tire, but either I have gotten used to it, or I ride off the back of my bike so much that I don't weight the front enough to notice it.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Jeremy R said:
Well, just to confuse you even further, I like to run a comp 16 2.5 up front on almost everything. I like how that tire bites harder on off camber and holds onto rocks and roots better than a 24. I will run that up front and a cut 24 in the rear alot of the time.
I know most people say that the side knobs fold on that tire, but either I have gotten used to it, or I ride off the back of my bike so much that I don't weight the front enough to notice it.
What Jeremy said. I ride the same terrain as he does and weigh about 20lbs more and have NEVER had a problem with 16 2.5's side knobs folding.

Sep 9, 2004
Littleton, CO
Again, Im sorry. I didn't realize i was logged on to more than 1 computer here at the shop. Please excuse my coworker. I'm acctually kicking his a*s as we speak and i'm trying to convince the boss to fire him. I'll let u know how it goes.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Well, the semi on the back was a no-go, as Transcend said to me at some point, NO braking whatsoever, horrible! Took that off and shoved a 24 on the back, so ran with 2.5" 16 on the front and 2.5" 24 on the back.

Then came nearly last after crashing on my race run, typical huh ;)

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...that sucks -seb.

Next race - you'll get em'. :thumb:

At least you've got your tire situation sorted out.

About that semi-slick rear: I saw that Peaty was using one a Sea Otter this year, but then I realized that the Otter is mostly powder-like dust...

Not very good on the rough stuff I guess...

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
- seb said:
Well, the semi on the back was a no-go, as Transcend said to me at some point, NO braking whatsoever, horrible! Took that off and shoved a 24 on the back, so ran with 2.5" 16 on the front and 2.5" 24 on the back.

Then came nearly last after crashing on my race run, typical huh ;)
all that work and you tagged a tree! We can discuss over beers in the local pub in about 4 weeks.