Quantcast

Okay all you Fox guys should I be worried?

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
I just built up a DOC with, among other things, a 2005 Talas RLC. I'm doing mainly DJ on it and a little light street. It's been running awesome on the few days I've put on it before smashing my hand in a car door and taking myself out of commish for a couple weeks. But with all this time on my hands I've been wondering about the safety of jumping with this fork.

I've searched and found mixed reviews - some say it's fine, others wouldn't touch it. I only weigh 135lbs and am running it at just below 100mm. Should I take this time off the bike to sell it and pick up something designed strictly for DJ?

What exactly is this fork designed for? The website saysit'll work everywhere, does that include jumping or am I pushing my already bad luck?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I would think it's fine. The Yeti team runs the Talas on the 4x bikes. My buddy has one on his Yeti DJ and he likes it.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
guero said:
I just built up a DOC with, among other things, a 2005 Talas RLC. I'm doing mainly DJ on it and a little light street. It's been running awesome on the few days I've put on it before smashing my hand in a car door and taking myself out of commish for a couple weeks. But with all this time on my hands I've been wondering about the safety of jumping with this fork.

I've searched and found mixed reviews - some say it's fine, others wouldn't touch it. I only weigh 135lbs and am running it at just below 100mm. Should I take this time off the bike to sell it and pick up something designed strictly for DJ?

What exactly is this fork designed for? The website saysit'll work everywhere, does that include jumping or am I pushing my already bad luck?
I'm pretty sure the Talas is more of a trail riding fork than a dj'ing fork.

I have 3 2005 Fox forks (80 RC, 130 RLC, and 36 RLC) and I love all of them :love:

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
stoney98 said:
I've been hammering a Talas for over a year DJ and Trail. I"m 200+, you'll be fine.

Thanks for the input. I really love this fork and would hate to have to see it go!

Now for tuning questions:

Recommended trail setting is 60lbs for my weight as stated in the manual. But in order to prevent bottoming I've been running between 80 and 90lbs. Is there any way to increase progessiveness at the end of the stroke other than with air pressure? External compression only seems to affect initial travel movement at slow speeds.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I'm 180+ and hammered the fork djing and street.
you'll be fine.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I would have to say if you are remotely smooth you should be cool, the fork is intended for trail riding, but in reality DJ'ing is stressful on your fork at all if done properly. On the other hand if you are a total hack and case allot you may have problems. I would say run the thing they are sweet. If Dump is pounding it and it isn’t complaining you should def be good to go. :thumb:

Another option would be sell the thing and get a pike for half the price, I just put on on my DOC and it is a perfect match…..mmmm adjustable travel :D

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
manhattanprjkt83 said:
Another option would be sell the thing and get a pike for half the price, I just put on on my DOC and it is a perfect match

I thought about it, I'm just skeptical of the internals. So much plastic I figured why not go with shims...

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Transcend said:
I have been destroying an original float RLC for 2-3 years now Djing, it is fine. You will be set on that Talas.
oh right... and you are a hack! :D

still, you should be fine imo.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
LOOnatic said:
I emailed them B4 and it about 3-4 weeks until i heard back.
Must have a sloppy intern doing the emails...........
Either that or all the suspension companies got together and blacklisted Butch.
Like on that Seinfield episode where Elaine could not get a Dr.'s appt.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
bizutch said:
does anybody know how to get Fox to return an email inquiry? They haven't answered any of mine? I'm using the one off their website..
never had good luck w/ email - try the phone.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Transcend said:
that is why they created the 36.
You dont think there is a bit of a market gap between the vanilla/float lines and the 36? Dont you think that the 36 is a bit overkill for a dj bike? My guess i that if fox did produce such a fork many manitou sherman jumper and pike sales would go through the floor, i know i would be on the fox.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
guero said:
Yeah, I definately think there is a hole in their line. The Talas feels great and is plenty stiff but I sure would feel a whole lot better with a 20mm axel.
:thumb:

Hey dump, do have any pics of your build, just curious, i would like to check it out.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
sounds like you need to make the air chamber smaller, adding some oil would do this and is how you tune coil sprung forks.

guero

Chimp
Mar 27, 2005
Vancouver now Halifax
joelsman said:
sounds like you need to make the air chamber smaller, adding some oil would do this and is how you tune coil sprung forks.
Makes sense Joel. Has anyone done this with any success?

I have to admit I'm clueless when it comes to Fox, especially the Talas system. I was under the impression that the Talas system, in fact the entire left leg, was not to be touched and must be sent in to a service center like Push to be overhauled.

Eno

Chimp
Nov 19, 2001
joelsman said:

The Talas is a bit more complicated than that. It's not advisable to play with the air chambers. Note it's a mutiple air chamber fork. The fastest way you can get responce is to email your nearest Fox service centre rather than Fox directly. Your service centre would know how to make the fork more progressive for you.

Eno

Chimp
Nov 19, 2001
bizutch said:
guess you didn't read mine or Dump's post? :rolleyes:
Hi Bizutch... Then maybe you should try emailing the Fox service centres in other countries. A lot of them reply to emails real fast.

TWISTED

Turbo Monkey
Apr 2, 2004
Hillsboro
manhattanprjkt83 said:
You dont think there is a bit of a market gap between the vanilla/float lines and the 36? Dont you think that the 36 is a bit overkill for a dj bike? My guess i that if fox did produce such a fork many manitou sherman jumper and pike sales would go through the floor, i know i would be on the fox.
What about the 2006 Van36r? It's supposed to have 160mm of travel, but if it could be dropped to 100 or 80, that would be sweet!