Quantcast

Okay....suggestions for stops to hit on a cross-USA freeride roadtrip?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Just looking for some input here; me and a friend are driving from DC to Whistler in early July, and will probably be making some stops along the way at whatever DH/freeride hotspots we can come across.

Right now I think Northstar, Moab and Bootleg Canyon would be possibilities but I don't want to actually die of heat stroke......any locals care to chime in? The route will be more or less I-70 thru Colorado, then it's pretty much up in the air. Utah, northern Arizona, Nevada, Norcal, etc...... any ideas? We will bring mucho beer.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by DßR
Just looking for some input here; me and a friend are driving from DC to Whistler in early July, and will probably be making some stops along the way at whatever DH/freeride hotspots we can come across.

Right now I think Northstar, Moab and Bootleg Canyon would be possibilities but I don't want to actually die of heat stroke......any locals care to chime in? The route will be more or less I-70 thru Colorado, then it's pretty much up in the air. Utah, northern Arizona, Nevada, Norcal, etc...... any ideas? We will bring mucho beer.
:think:

In Bellingham WA (4hrs from Whistler) there is a bunch of trails...contact WWU peeps in PNW forum for more exact locations and type of terrain.

Seattle and east (on I-90) about 30-40 minutes is some cascade root, rock steep terrain...some ladder trails also. I have only been to one place but have seen pics of others.

If you are going thru Olympia (about an hour south of Seattle on a weekend morning there is the Peak Shuttle ride in Sapitol Forest.......any plans in WA ask them in PNW forum I am sure we can set you up....but if you are that close I bet you will jsut want to go to Whistler. :)

All three are on or near I-5 (main freeway from Mexico to CA)

PS- Spokane is 5hrs east of Seattle on I-90 but it has a shortish hill (short enough to push and session) with lots of boulder drops and nice sized jumps. Search Beacon Bomber or Beacon Blastoff in the PNW forum for examples. Maybe on the way back?

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
can i come?

if not, DURANGO, if they run the lift in the summer, you HAVE to ride the dh course there, it is worth driving like 8 hours out of your way

Morgan

AZRacerX

Monkey
Mar 4, 2003
Kent, WA
You will probably die of heat stroke at Boulder City in July. Not really, but it will be pretty toasty. I hear Boulder, CO has some fun riding if you know where to look. Also, you might want to check out Northern Idaho, like Schweitzer or that other area down the road. The DH trails there are sick! Sounds like a fun trip!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
well since theres a good chance youll be headed through washington to hit whistler definatly plan a stop here. Up north in B-ham there are good trails.....and some stuff around seattle. Also make sure you hit the shore in N van.,

Have fun!

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
While passing through the Midwest come to Challenge Park, the best Northshore you will ride next to stuff in whistler and norcal. Challenge Park is in Joliet IL, 50min south of Chicago. go to www.teamsally.com to see pictures of the place
Northshore thats even better than the real Northshore??? WOW

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Originally posted by DßR
You bring the beer, and I'll be more than happy to show you around Northstar. :D

greenreese

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
I went on a trip this summer for 5 weeks across the US.

Moab Was awesome but brutally hot, I went up the lift at one of the places and got lost cause there was no one there at the top. Went down a trial and half way down realized it was a jeep trail. Had to hike all the way back up hauling a high 30lb bike with a fullface helmet in the hottest weather I have ever seen. I couldn't go more that 20 feet without resting, or else I was pretty sure I was going to spew.

"If you're going to spew, spew into this."
First person to tell me what movie that was gets five bonus points. :D

If you are with someone else, or just not as stupid as me, you should have fun there.

Durango was my favorite place on the trip, even without the riding... Take the train ride up to Silverton if you get the chance, and bring a camera. Probably one of the best things we did the whole trip. Really, really awesome! :thumb:

Yeah... So, that was kind of off track.

-dAn

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
coool, yeah we'll definitely have to hit the PNW stuff up near Bellingham since we'll go right thru it; I think a stop in Seattle is scheduled as well to visit friends/family.....

Does Northstar run lifts during the week by chance? Unfortunately the month of July isn't made up entirely of weekends, wouldn't that be cool....:cool:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by greenreese
I went on a trip this summer for 5 weeks across the US.

Moab Was awesome but brutally hot, I went up the lift at one of the places and got lost cause there was no one there at the top. Went down a trial and half way down realized it was a jeep trail. Had to hike all the way back up hauling a high 30lb bike with a fullface helmet in the hottest weather I have ever seen. I couldn't go more that 20 feet without resting, or else I was pretty sure I was going to spew.

"If you're going to spew, spew into this."
First person to tell me what movie that was gets five bonus points. :D

If you are with someone else, or just not as stupid as me, you should have fun there.

Durango was my favorite place on the trip, even without the riding... Take the train ride up to Silverton if you get the chance, and bring a camera. Probably one of the best things we did the whole trip. Really, really awesome! :thumb:

Yeah... So, that was kind of off track.

-dAn
Waynes World, duh!

Yeah, we're gonna try and hook it up with locals along the way so there isn't much getting lost. That would be kinda sh*tty. That's why the beer-bribe is involved....:)

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
i doubt that youll be in southern norcal... but if you are pacifica is fun.
Is that near San Fran? We MIGHT end up in the Bay area for a bit; my aunt lives there so it'd be cool to sleep on a real bed one night...

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
oh yah should have made that clear. yah it is about 20 minutes from san francisco.

if you do get near contact someone from around the bay area and we can hook up a gianormus ride in pacifica.

yahoo!

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Where abouts?
Half Moon Bay - I don't know the exact area but she lives within spitting distance of the water.....big $$$$$.......

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
notice how i said next best to stuff in whistler and norcal
the north shore is not located in whistler or norcal :thumb:

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Be sure to hit Wintergreen on your way out of VA :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D ;)

We should throw together a batch of homebrew or three before you leave and whatever you may have left, if any, we'll finish in Whistler fo' sure.

Ahhh...good times ahead :thumb:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by DamienC
Be sure to hit Wintergreen on your way out of VA :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D ;)

We should throw together a batch of homebrew or three before you leave and whatever you may have left, if any, we'll finish in Whistler fo' sure.

Ahhh...good times ahead :thumb:
oh MAN. SO many good ideas!!! I'd love to help w/ the brewing gig, I'm sure there's enough room for a few cases in the truck....

...actually I was thinking we'd probably hit Snowshoe on the way out....

bbmj

Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
Eastbay
well, if your going to stay at your aunts house in monterey, than santa cruz and aptos are real quick, which means you could ride a lot of the fun trails at UCSC, and all the rest of the trails around santa cruz, shoot, it would probaly be on the way if you are going to be travelling up highway 1 or however you plan on getting further up north

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
Originally posted by DßR
I'm sure there's enough room for a few cases in the truck....

...actually I was thinking we'd probably hit Snowshoe on the way out....
and pass up the thrill of WG's Dare Case? Fools. :D

Ya know, your traveling companion has a keg. We're filling it up with a batch of homebrew this Friday in fact. I'm sure it'll come in handy for your trip :cool: .

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Dude. Would you wanna get injured on the 1st day of a x-country road trip? I didn't think so. I might do the Dare Case on the way back home though, last-day type thing.....you know how it goes.....;)

A keg? :drool: Man this is gonna be the ass-kicking-est road trip ever.

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
Driving from silverton to Telluride is completly sick,the good ridin is hard to find at telluride,you'll need somone to show you around,good luck.bring lots of film,i ran out to early,and missed these mnt lions chowing a deer.

Ronny Grady

Monkey
Oct 20, 2003
Keystone, Vail, Telluride, Durango, they are all fun. I liked the local trails at Telluride the most, they were super steep with cool rock drops.

Moab is fun, but like everyone says, hot. Porcupine Rim was rad, you have to get shuttled though. Barlet's wash was awesome, lots of drops on a sandstone ridge. The mushroom drop there is the biggest natural, smooth as hell drop I have ever seen.

I couldn't find Bootleg Canyon when I drove through Vegas, maybe the lure of gambling made me give up my hunt early...

California trails are cool, the ones I hit at least, Northstar was fun, fast and loose, not the elevation like Colorado though and no stunts like up north in Whistler. I liked the trails around LA, G-spot, Woolsey, were sick, you really need a local guide and some friends to shuttle with if you are going to hit these LA trails.

Oregon was cool for not shuttling. I rode the Hood river trails, lots of skinnies and stunts, it was a fun day.

Canada was the best out of everything though. My buddies and I all decided unanimously that we wished we had spent more time up north of the border. We spent less than half our time in Canada, I could have spent more time.

Canadians are very friendly and it is easy to meet locals that will show you the raddest trails. North Vancouver is freeride central, you have to hit that stuff for a week. Whister is fun for a few days, but the North Vancouver stuff and Squamish are even better. Sun Peaks in Kamloops, along with the local trails like Rose Hill there are nice. Plenty of drops and jumps to hit. Golden (Mt Seven and Kicking Horse) are the **** as well. Both are 4000 foot elevation hills. Mt Seven you can watch the paragliders take off before you bomb down the hill. That was a great ride, some built stuff but mostly fast, steep trails with some nice berms. Fernie was fun too, too many trails to hit them all. We did Hedonistic a few times and it was fun, rickety stunts then, but they flowed pretty well. Canada with its provincial parks and tons of free camping just makes for cheap traveling, that is my 2 cents at least.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Moab and bootleg canyon will both be brutally hot especially if you plan on wearing a helmet and armor. If you're heading the direction of utah I might suggest the ridge trail in american fork canyon. I believe it's off of I40 but I can't remember for sure you can find it really easily on any utah mountain biking web site. Also in that area is deer valley which is supposed to be fun for a day of lift serviced riding and I believe they are open during the week, but I've never been there so I really can't comment.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
Originally posted by monkeyboy424
i doubt that youll be in southern norcal... but if you are pacifica is fun.
how a bout the west side of north-northeastern south-south westerly socal

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Originally posted by Toshi
the north shore is not located in whistler or norcal :thumb:
Yea, that was my point. The "North Shore" stuff in whislter is not the same as the stuff in N van. Everyone things that some pallets leaned up to a tree makes it" north shore" To me the stunts are only part of the shore,....the rest is steep, rooty, rocky, technically hard trails in really beautiful woods.

Where is norcal anyways? (cali i know, but whats the line? how far south is norcal?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by gborden
Northstar is sick
you should drop by. PM me if you want me to take you around northstar...and maybe some of the more interesting local backcountry trails:p

the real definition of "Norcal" is pretty much up in the air. but geographically, it's everything north of San Francisco.
Cool, thanks - I'll shoot ya a PM shortly, when we get a good sense of what exact day we'll be there....:)