Quantcast

Ol' Standbys: What's in the new generation?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I know there are the classics, ie. King Headsets, Thomson Posts, etc.

But how about some of the newer items? Which are perfect and will you continue to use?

My 1st item: Camelback Mule. Its just perfect. Nothing goes wrong and it does what I ask.

2nd item: Giro Xen helmet.
Just a great helmet. I have no complaints.

How about you?
Im going riding now, so when I get back, there better be some decent posts in here.

J

JRB

I've been planning to get a Xen. Knowing BS has one seals that I am getting one.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
The new Shimano bottom bracketless cranks.

Broke old LX, to what shouldn't be, my amazement.

Replaced with new LX and having no complaints, in fact now is the time when i should be hearing the bearings grind down in the old deore bb's. i used to buy a new one every year. No grindage, no play now, all good.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Xen is a nice helmet but its overpriced even when buying it on sale. I have one and its not THAT much better than my old/cheaper Giro Havoc. I guess another thing against it is that Giro's don't fit all heads, but that applies to most helmet brands.

Camelback has been surpassed in innovation and designs by other brands for years now.

I loved my Ultimate Directions pack and used it for years - the bladder wasn't quite as good as Camelbak but the bag design was better and I sold the pack to friend.

I've now been using a Jansport Diablo hydration pack for 2-3 years and its better than the camelback in every way including the bladder (Nalgene Water Tower)

I agree external BB cranks are nicer than ISIS/Octalink/square taper.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
1)Avid Juicy 7’s. Love them! Paired with my Fox fork I don’t get any arm pump after a full day of riding at Whistler.

2)Crank Bros pedals. Granted they are the only clipless pedals I have ever used, but they never clog up with mud in the wet PNW. Plus, I can rebuild them in less than 30 minutes and they’re like new.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Most of the new hydro brakes are good, but I like the Avid and Shimano's all around the most.

Crankbrother pedals are good but the cleat has had issues and the Mallet is more sensitive to shoe selection. I use the Mallet on all my bikes.

Times are good too, but their platform version isn't quite as good (I've used them for a season and half and broke a new pedal platform after only a few runs and I didn't even feel it break). If they redesigned or beefed up the platform and added the new XC style retention mechanism, I would consider trying those.

New air shocks are much better but need a little better mid range damping.

I like the new SRAM derailluers and X triggers better than rapidfire.

First generation i-beam doesn't seem too hot to me, but I haven't tried the newer version.

The RS Maxle is probably the first QR 20mm axle system I've liked.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a Dakine Nomad hydration packs. I like it better than the camelbacks and other ones I compared. It has really nice orgainzed mesh pockets. When you refill it, you don't have to take out the tube, just the water conrtainer, becasue it disconnects at the bottom. There are lots of other resons I like it so much.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mtnbrider said:
I have a Dakine Nomad hydration packs. I like it better than the camelbacks and other ones I compared. It has really nice orgainzed mesh pockets. When you refill it, you don't have to take out the tube, just the water conrtainer, becasue it disconnects at the bottom. There are lots of other resons I like it so much.
Yeah that bladder is made by Nalgene for Dakine (Nalgene is written under the cap on the rim). Jansport was the first company to use them and the "water tower" shape that claims extra water flow is still exclusive to Jansport I think.

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
Skookum said:
The new Shimano bottom bracketless cranks.

Broke old LX, to what shouldn't be, my amazement.

Replaced with new LX and having no complaints, in fact now is the time when i should be hearing the bearings grind down in the old deore bb's. i used to buy a new one every year. No grindage, no play now, all good.
I have to agree. Those cranks (and Raceface and FSA have done the same thing) are damn near bulletproof, and super easy to remove and clean.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
mtnbrider said:
Oh, I never knew that. Its an awsome design.
Yeah even better is that you can get the Diablo 04 closeout for 40% off the current version. I think the only difference is the color scheme? I got the closeout 04 at performance for a backup in case I ever lost/damage broke mine plus it only cost about as much as spare bladder alone!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I love my camelbak mule. Frankly, for a riding pack, I don't care about innovative designs, specially designed bladders, or any other "features". All I want is a pack with one big pocket, one little pocket, and a bladder, and I want to be able to beat the ever-living piss out of it.

The Mule has been such an animal for me. I've had mine for almost 10 years and it has been hiking, climbing, biking, camping, and everywhere else with me. It's been thrown down cliffs, flown down the highway, sat on, flung, crashed on, and everything else, and it shows no signs of complaint.

I keep waiting for it to die so I can get something new but I don't think that's happening any time soon :think:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
I love my camelbak mule. Frankly, for a riding pack, I don't care about innovative designs, specially designed bladders, or any other "features". All I want is a pack with one big pocket, one little pocket, and a bladder, and I want to be able to beat the ever-living piss out of it.
Why wouldn't you want a better pack that cost less, that does not make any sense.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have an old Blackburn hydration pack that rules. The simplest no frills design going. Pocket for 100 oz bladder with one largestorage pocket about the same size as a 100oz bladder, nothings else. It weighs next to nothing empty and it has lasted 10 years. It makes all the new packs look overdesigned and complicated.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
PonySoldier said:
If the Ol' Mule is still working why wast money on a new one??
Just stating there are better designs out there. I'm not saying you need a new one.

I still have the original no pocket camelback (water only pocket) if you want no fills, but the bladder is pretty damn nasty :p

In the 15 years I've had hydration packs, I've used bags from Camelbak, Blackburn, K2, Vaude, Deuter, Ultimate, and Jansport. I think out of all the bags I owned, only one started to fall apart from bad stitching - they all usually hold up well. Usually I have more than one bag cause each has different uses and amount of gear varies by what you are doing.

Jansport, Vaude, Deuter, Dakine, and Ultimate all make nicer bags than Camelbak from those I've used/seen, IMHO.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
syadasti said:
Why wouldn't you want a better pack that cost less, that does not make any sense.
refer to the name of the thread. I got mine after asking around, reading reviews and looking at the product in hand. I love mine. For the cost, it's a great deal. Why? Because, I've had mine for 8 years, and Splat his for 10, and we have done the same things to it, except make love to it (That we remember anyway...:oink: ) and it has lasted all these years, without one shred of evidence of the product possibly failing.

Now, that makes sense.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have a Mule and a Hawg and both have served me well for the last few years. No problems, no tears, rips or failures. I use the Hawg as a daypack for hiking as well. Other brands may have surpassed Camelbak in some ways, but I don't know how...my Mule holds my crap comfortably and with minimum hassle...don't know what else there is.

Giro helmets have always served me well. E2 is my fav.

Shimano cranks have never given me any real problems. I had XT cranks on my trailbike and have XT on my DH and Ultegra on my road/CX.

Speaking of which, I have had the same parts on my road bike since I got it around '98 or '99 or something. I even got rid of the frame and put all the parts on my CX bike. I ride in mud, snow, ice and dirt all the time and I never maintain the bike. Whatever, still works fine. Maybe I changed the chain and cogs, but the rings, BB, shifters, derailers and cranks are all the same.

Oh, and I started using Mavic UST rims 2 seasons ago and I really do not want to go back to tubes. I had only 2 flats in 2 years and I think I only ever trued the wheels once.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
syadasti said:
Dude, lay off:rolleyes: You have replied to almost every post with a comment about what you thing is better or worse. Can't you just let ppl post what they find works best for them?:)

J

JRB

Westy said:
When are you getting a Bullit?
BS bought the one he bought because he knew I was talking about it. I have decided on a Giant Reign instead, so I won't be a complete clone.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
syadasti said:
Camelback has been surpassed in innovation and designs by other brands for years now.
How is that if it works perfectly? I dont care about the bells and whistles. Perhaps you didnt read the title of the thread, or maybe you just felt like being an A$$ as usual. In either case, youre still retarded. Good luck with the aids.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
BurlyShirley said:
How is that if it works perfectly? I dont care about the bells and whistles. Perhaps you didnt read the title of the thread, or maybe you just felt like being an A$$ as usual. In either case, youre still retarded. Good luck with the aids.
You've been drinking too much "angry juice" outta that Camelbak of yers....

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
ODI lock-on grips. absolutely essential.

maybe i'm special, but i've really not any problems w/ any cranks i've ever had (square and ISIS), w/ the exception of those machined AC cranks from yesteryear which rounded out on me. AC sent me the next generation replacement.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
narlus said:
ODI lock-on grips. absolutely essential.

maybe i'm special, but i've really not any problems w/ any cranks i've ever had (square and ISIS), w/ the exception of those machined AC cranks from yesteryear which rounded out on me. AC sent me the next generation replacement.
Lock-ons do rule, except I like to use gripshifts. the inboard clamp bruises up my hand. It would be nice if Gripshift could somehow make it so the lock on grips would clip into the shifters for support then just use an outboard clamp.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
I bailed on Camelbaks a few years ago.

The Deuters that replaced mine handle heavy loads better (more comfortable) and are much cooler on my back. Short of a complete redesign I can't see myself going back to Camelbak.

New generation standby: SLR saddle aka Ass Hatchet
Comfy and really easy to move around on, or off of.

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
johnbryanpeters said:
How does it manage to be cooler?
The main body of the pack is suspended away from your body. Only a mesh panel rests against your body. Tough to describe, here's a picture:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Snacks said:
Dude, lay off:rolleyes: You have replied to almost every post with a comment about what you thing is better or worse. Can't you just let ppl post what they find works best for them?:)
There is a difference between works and best of the genre. The question was what is similar to the "Ol' Standbys", mentions Thomson, King etc...

There are plenty of headsets that work just fine for people - FSA being a good example. Just cause it works does not mean its as good as a King.

Acceptable is not the definition of the best product available and if you only used one or two products out of dozens in 10 years you could not possibly know which one works better.

Here are the bags I still have, sold some of my Camelbaks and the Ultimate. The Vaude bag has been to Africa (Tanzania, Kenya), New Zealand (twice), Costa Rica (three times), and all over the US and I've had around 50 lbs in it before and its still going strong after all these years.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
syadasti said:
Xen is a nice helmet but its overpriced even when buying it on sale. I have one and its not THAT much better than my old/cheaper Giro Havoc. I guess another thing against it is that Giro's don't fit all heads, but that applies to most helmet brands.

I loved my Ultimate Directions pack and used it for years - the bladder wasn't quite as good as Camelbak but the bag design was better and I sold the pack to friend.

I've now been using a Jansport Diablo hydration pack for 2-3 years and its better than the camelback in every way including the bladder (Nalgene Water Tower)

I agree external BB cranks are nicer than ISIS/Octalink/square taper.

You're a whore, you know that?

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
syadasti said:
There is a difference between works and best of the genre. The question was what is similar to the "Ol' Standbys", mentions Thomson, King etc...

There are plenty of headsets that work just fine for people - FSA being a good example. Just cause it works does not mean its as good as a King.

Acceptable is not the definition of the best product available and if you only used one or two products out of dozens in 10 years you could not possibly know which one works better.

Here are the bags I still have, sold some of my Camelbaks and the Ultimate. The Vaude bag has been to Africa (Tanzania, Kenya), New Zealand (twice), Costa Rica (three times), and all over the US and I've had around 50 lbs in it before and its still going strong after all these years.

Blah blah blah

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
syadasti said:
Jesus friggin' Christ on a pogo stick, man, get a hobby.

Maybe your reading comprehension sucks today:
BurlyShirley said:
Which are perfect and will you continue to use?
Heyyy.. Look at that, it implies that I might have a personal opinion about a product that I personally have found to be awesome. Weird, eh? I know it's tough for you to get a grip on, but sometimes the most feature-laden product on the market isn't the best for a particular use. Sometimes we like things because they just work well for us.

Oh, and perhaps the irony hadn't occured to you, but King and Thompson are not the most feature laden products around. They do not have any special qualities. They are just well made, simple products. Kinda fits the definition of my non-feature-laden, 10-year-old-and-still-ticking Camelbak...

You're trashing what started out as a perfectly good thread by arguing with people about what has worked best for them. WTF is wrong with you? Something can work best for an individual that you don't like. Nobody is claiming that what they have is the best product on the market. Just that it has worked awesome for its given purpose.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
binary visions said:
Something can work best for an individual that you don't like. Nobody is claiming that what they have is the best product on the market. Just that it has worked awesome for its given purpose.
You can't know it works best for you if you have only tried one brand. How do you know if other brands aren't better if you've never tried one before?

JBP mentioned his Camelbak gives him a sweat-soaked back and the Deuter suspension feature was a nice trick. That means that feature would give him a better experience over his Camelbak.

Just found this other satisfied customer:

jncarpenter said:
...I would highly recommend the Jansport Diablo. I was tired of camelbak & wanted something different. The Jansport is very smart pack & the bladder setup makes it extremely nice. Plenty of room for gear (no helmet cinch...if you need that, try the STINGER 2) great fitting & really durable. I am very happy with mine (going on a year of use).