Quantcast

OLD DHi cracks

kamomatt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Chicago
I have a old GT DHi. Just asking the senoirs guys where did the FRONT TRIANGLE normal crack. I know the rear triangles is weak but it is newer looks ok. I have a line along one of the welds looks like it might be cracking????
Thanks for the help

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I have a old GT DHi. Just asking the senoirs guys where did the FRONT TRIANGLE normal crack. I know the rear triangles is weak but it is newer looks ok. I have a line along one of the welds looks like it might be cracking????
Thanks for the help
I had a friend that cracked the downtube/headtube weld. Most cracked on the rear triangle where the shock mounted (from what I recall anyway)

gonefirefightin

free wieners
cracks should be your least concern, as a mech I have fought to find parts to rebuild these bikes for hard core customers. specifically your BB and certain bearings. I am surprised most of these are still functioning considering the types of riding peeps are flogging them on.

you got your time out of it.....find something similar feeling and move on

kamomatt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Chicago
I had a friend that cracked the downtube/headtube weld. Most cracked on the rear triangle where the shock mounted (from what I recall anyway)
We have a winner? I didn't post the location of the crack but that is just where it is downtube/headtube. It looks like a paint crack that follows the weld pattern, "rolling or wave" along with the weld. I'm thinking of getting it welded???????????????????

As far as spares parts I picked up garage basket case few years ago but it is a small I run the medium. It still had the dipples on the OE front tire. I tried the small on vacation once hated it.
I also bought complete hard wear from GT so spare parts is no problem.
The problem is I'm old and in Chicago. I can't see a new DH vacation bike in the budget.

Thanks for the help

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I craked two rear ends - each successive one I got was slightly redesigned, and the newest one seemed to hold up ok. Never (knowingly) cracked a front though.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
I cracked a 2001, right where the shock mounted to the rear triangle. Never saw a front cracked, though.

BmxConvert

Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Longview, Washington
If anyone does need spares... I have a Large and a Medium front triangle, 2 rear triangles, 2 pivots, 2 chainguides. I basically have 2 complete frames but, not the main pivot(bearings yes, pivot bolt no).

kamomatt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Chicago
If anyone does need spares... I have a Large and a Medium front triangle, 2 rear triangles, 2 pivots, 2 chainguides. I basically have 2 complete frames but, not the main pivot(bearings yes, pivot bolt no).
Hey,
I'm interested in the meduim front triangle.
I really don't want to weld it. What year is it, any cracks repairs, painted?
I may have the spares you need to assembly a full bike?
I'm out of Chicago where are you for shipping?
Could you send me a PM
Thanks

smithgrind

Chimp
Feb 3, 2012
hi there really interested in chainguide if you can help me

kamomatt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Chicago
hi there really interested in chainguide if you can help me
Hey I've got a line on used frame set. I could sell you the chainguide and keep the front triangle.
Let me know just what parts of the chainguide you need. I've posted a parts pdf before just search
GT DHi on this site if you need it. If you find what you need snap it up. Its really hard to get parts for these now.
good luck