Quantcast

Old headset in new frame: good or bad?

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
I have a 2 month old FSA Pig Pro headset that I'm thinking about putting in my new 224. The upper cup is T6 6061 and the lower is steel. Do you think it is a bad idea or can I get away with it?

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
Just to clarify: the headset was used for two months on my old Demo. It seems to be in pretty good condition but I'm worried about the tolerances on the upper alu cup. Do you think I'm risking ovalisation of the head tube?

EDIT: HA! I joined feb 2004 and only 41 posts!! Lurker indeed...

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
hey man. I was thinking about doing what you are when i just got my 223. I went with a king headset instead. best move i ever made. As a guy once told me..the most expensive parts of your bike are the frame and fork, shouldnt a quality part hold them together.

I ovalized a headtube on my onld bike, not badly but enough so that it would come loose after every run. get a king and you wont have these problems, especially on a $2800 frame

gangstamaxx

Monkey
Sep 12, 2005
CT
the steelset is the deep cup one right?? I just used a standard if thats the case because im not sure if the orange frames accept a deep cup headset. the standard is perfect for the bill though. The guy I mentioned before had been racing pro class dh on his king for 4 years on a bunch of different bikes and its still kickin. besides you cant beat that 10 year warranty!

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
If you're going to use a standard PIG DH PRO headset they are great for the money. I've got 2 and no problems with either one of them. Yes, you can re-use headsets in frames, just make sure everythings tolerenced right.

King's regular ones don't sit too deep, the steelset sits way deep (almost an inch) inside the headtube. If you've ovalized your previous frame then I'd get it reamed and a steelset inserted with a headlock system (eliminates the star nut). I'll admit the one king headset I have (it's been atleast 10 years) works just like the day I bought it. It's just super smooth. The FSA one's aren't as smooth but for the price they win. If I ever have to go King (sooner or later) it'll be the steelset.

If everything presses in nice and smooth, snug, cups just don't fall out then you're fine. I'd still use a headlock to have that extra insurance that things will stay tight no matter what. You hear of people ovalizing their headtubes but not many that ovalized it while running a headlock. Best $20-25 you'll invest next to the headset. The headset's worthless if you can't keep it snug or tight!

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
I've got a King that's spent 4 years in 5 different frames and it's still going perfectly, albeit faded.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I think he's more worried about the frame, not the headset. As long as there was no ovalization or other problems with the prior frame it should be fine. But like others have said, make sure you have a tight press into the new frame.

JAB

Chimp
Feb 18, 2004
Almost there...
Thanks everybody!!

As OGRipper said I'm more worried about the frame than the headset. I'll press in the old headset and see how it feels. There will be pics of the bike when it's ready :thumb: