Quantcast

Old people vs the rest of Americans

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
So.... stumbled across a Gallup poll, and while the overall numbers are pretty normal (49% Approval rating for Obama, etc), the breakdown inside it was pretty surprising.

76% of Americans like Obama as a person (higher than GWB or Clinton)
55-41% Americans approve of the Democratic party
43-52% Americans DISapprove of the Republican party (-13% drop in approval ratings!!)
33-49% Americans disapprove of the Tea Party (-4% drop)
Obama wins every age bracket *other* than the 65+ (I wonder how that gut Medicare/SS vote will affect this group?)
53% Approval rating from moderates
Obama wins in the North East, the Midwest, and the West, and *only* loses the South.
51-39% Americans trust Obama to handle the major issues in the country as opposed to the Republicans in Congress (again, the ONLY group that gives Obama low marks is the 65+ crowd)
The thing that struck me was over, and over, and over again, the 65+ went the opposite way of the entire rest of the country. They're the only ones with a positive approval rating for Republicans, the only ones who have a higher than 50% disapproval rating of Obama, the only ones who trust Republicans in Congress over Obama to handle the country's problems, the only ones to have a disfavorable rating of the Democratic party, the only group to have a favorable rating of the Tea Party,and so on.

It really is coming down to two different Americas, with two DRASTIC different views on what's going on and where the country should go... Any ideas why? I mean, Republicans have voted to gut Medicare, turn SS into a voucher program, and one of the main methods for containing health care costs / the deficit was to have Medicare payments to beneficiaries rise slower than the rate of health care inflation.

And yet they're the ones most solidly behind the Republican party? What am I missing?

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Did a bit more math:

18-64: Approve of Obama 52-45
65+: DISapprove of Obama 59-38

And you're probably right on the demographic of Fox News, and unfortunately old people tend to have the highest percentage of people voting.......

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
They are old racist throwbacks who remember (and approved of...)segregation and the Cold War and are still afraid of having a black man as POTUS...they still beleive the Muslim crap, the birther crap and all the other crap spewed by the frothing fear mongers...

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
The same thing goes for Ron Paul, at least compared to the other GOP candidates. I haven't seen a poll comparing him and Obama head to head, but Romney runs away with the senior citizen vote.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Try looking at the demographic in terms humans trust in robots. The 65+ crowd is scared sh!tless. :panic:

Sill:
non-white POTUS > robots

On the scared of reality scale.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I mean, Republicans have voted to gut Medicare, turn SS into a voucher program, and one of the main methods for containing health care costs / the deficit was to have Medicare payments to beneficiaries rise slower than the rate of health care inflation.

And yet they're the ones most solidly behind the Republican party? What am I missing?
Because that plan exempted everyone already over 55.

So, basically, "Fvck you, I've got mine."

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
Pretty common among Boomers. As I've noted before, the Greatest Generation bought war bonds (in addition to paying a far higher income tax) to pay for WWII.

Boomers think tax cuts (in the middle of 2 wars) are patriotic...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Pretty common among Boomers. As I've noted before, the Greatest Generation bought war bonds (in addition to paying a far higher income tax) to pay for WWII.

Boomers think tax cuts (in the middle of 2 wars) are patriotic...
but we've already thrown all old people under the racism bus.....boomers = old people

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
ahhhh....i see....

so is this what you meant?
Racists can be patriotic at the same time, you know.

edit: And yes, I cringe every time I hear my (93 year old, patriotic, fought in WWII, bought war bonds and voluntarily paid into SS even though he didn't have to) grandfather talk about black people. He's gotten old enough that the mental filter that used to keep certain thoughts and feelings on the inside is gone, and my cousins and I sort of roll our eyes every time he makes some type of comment like that...

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Racists can be patriotic at the same time, you know.

edit: And yes, I cringe every time I hear my (93 year old, patriotic, fought in WWII, bought war bonds and voluntarily paid into SS even though he didn't have to) grandfather talk about black people. He's gotten old enough that the mental filter that used to keep certain thoughts and feelings on the inside is gone, and my cousins and I sort of roll our eyes every time he makes some type of comment like that...
I've got an audio recorder system I'd love to loan you.

I'm not even kidding. It would be good for everyone, including family. I want to hear all about both WWII AND naggers. I'm still pissed at myself for not doing something similar with my grand dad.