Quantcast

old records

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
just dragged my 12"s down from the attic. most ok, a few slightly warped...am putting them horizontally (they were vertical, but leaning, in the box). hopefully they will relax after being that way for a while.
View attachment 150380
This can be fixed. As seen above, we can get them clean before using a Vinyl Flat with heater to take care of 99.2% of any warping from the attic heat. As you know I’m local. Bring 6 pack of good (well, decent) beer. Just give me a call.

In other news, asthma has been a mess this summer, clearing up just in time for my back to become a mess. First ride in a couple months tomorrow. We’ll hit BYT soooon.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
My first lockdown project was cleaning out some of my record collection. Down to under 20 crates now, which is more manageable for me. It's still a PITA to find particular records at times. My collection is mostly house/techno, and I recognize tracks by what the label looks like, vs artist/title, which makes cataloging a bitch.

What I like about vinyl is pretty specific to DJing, having to physically manipulate the records, it feels more like playing an instrument vs playing on CDJs, which I own/use as well. There was also something fun about hunting down records, and just sitting around bullshitting in record stores with other DJs that I miss a lot. Now DJs talk to each other about their number of social followers, it's fucking stupid.

One thing I like better about digital though is the sound quality (in most cases). I've had a record pressed and have sat and watched an industry legend mastering engineer cut the laquer. There are some audio gymnastics the source material needs to go through to press into vinyl in a way that doesn't send the needle out of the groove, and if your master source was a lossless digital file to begin with it's going to sound better than the resulting vinyl.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Thread drift, if I may...

Do you remeber the first vinyl record you bought?
Sabbath: we sold our soul for rock and roll. It had been out a year or two, I was maybe 10.
Never bought one but I remember my sister bought a New Kids On The Block single, hahaha!
My first CD was Spiderbait, Ivy and the Big Apples.Pretty sure the only song they had that had any international presence was their cover of Black Betty.

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
0F73A721-237A-4BF7-B4C3-AFBFC092088A.jpeg

the specials is one of my favorite records. I got a bunch of records including a bunch of Mexican polkas.

Last edited:

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I was quite the collector. While nothing was exceeding rare, it was always a treat to find the extra propaganda art that DK used to include with LP’s.
1601991048675.jpeg

Pre AT Cherry Red vs AT repress of Fresh Fruit
1601991232147.jpeg

Full Winston Smith “news papers” included sometime.
1601991418800.jpeg

1601991464921.jpeg

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I just picked up a Pro-Ject DC with an ortofon red after my ancient Technics (cheap one not the highend one) finally died. O! M! G! The DC isn't really crazy highend, but the precision is mind blowing. Mind you I am "only" running an Onkyo A9010, which is pretty middle of the road. Loudspeakers are custom built, but on the lowend of highend. For some albums it is like hearing them for the first time. Stunning.

On the other hand, a handful of my favorite albums are now majorly disappointing, bc the poor quality of the pressing is now glaring. Perhaps blaring is the better word.

Anyway, who can can suggest a reasonably priced cleaning setup? Ultrasonic bath cleaners are prolly out of my range.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
I just picked up a Pro-Ject DC with an ortofon red after my ancient Technics (cheap one not the highend one) finally died. O! M! G! The DC isn't really crazy highend, but the precision is mind blowing. Mind you I am "only" running an Onkyo A9010, which is pretty middle of the road. Loudspeakers are custom built, but on the lowend of highend. For some albums it is like hearing them for the first time. Stunning.

On the other hand, a handful of my favorite albums are now majorly disappointing, bc the poor quality of the pressing is now glaring. Perhaps blaring is the better word.

Anyway, who can can suggest a reasonably priced cleaning setup? Ultrasonic bath cleaners are prolly out of my range.

That is the problem with a decent system....source material quality becomes an issue. I found most of my rock vinyl to be mediocre, but better than first generation CD which is absolutely horrid. Jazz is a whole other world sound wise, some absolutely amazing recordings.

My shit for reference.

Vinyl: Thorens 160 Super / Linn arm / AT cartridge.
CD: Naim CDX2 with TeddyPardo Powersupply.
Tuner: Naim NAT05
Preamp: Naim 72 with NeilJadman boards and TeddyPardo Powersupply
Power: Naim 135 monoblocks
Speakers: Totem Mani-2 Sig.
Headphone Amp: Naim Headline
Headphones: AKG K241 600ohm

Mid range high-end - Ya, ya, I know :fancy:

So, I have a pretty killer system and chronic migraines. So it just sits unused except for the odd time I have both time and no headache. :mad:

As for your how to clean....there have been volumes written on this.
I use both an old AT carbon brush that looks like a classic diskwasher.
I also use an ultrasonic stylus cleaner.
Found a pic of both together - you can find anything on the net.
1602023063252.png

No fluid.
I have had some stuff cleaned many years ago using one of the fluid wash / vacuum units. Worked a charm, but cost more that the full turntable setup.

There is also a old way to clean records using white PVC glue, applied as a thin layer then pealed off taking dirt and crap with it. Supposed to work amazingly, but also a total PITA. Used from what I remember by some on charity / bargain shop finds.

If you want to do some reading on an audio site - Try PinkFishMedia you will find much more than you want in the discussion boards.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My Dad had a storage area. After he died my brother was supposed to pay for it until we could go through it. All my old records were stored there. After Mike went to jail. He didn't pay the fee and my dads stuff was sold. Along with my records and a bunch of my Moms stuff also. I am glad to say that Mike is the last in a long line of Jailbirds and Deadbeats in our family.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
on this topic, my older receiver finally died a while back. my current/new/only receiver does not have a built in pre-amp, open to suggestions.
you are gonna need a dedicated external phono pre-amp... just based on the name, go with a Schiit. (although they are NOT cheap, they are supposed to be really quite excellent... they also have just released a turntable which looks REALLY interesting, esp if you are one to tinker and don't mind fastidious trial and error setup...

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you are gonna need a dedicated external phono pre-amp... just based on the name, go with a Schiit. (although they are NOT cheap, they are supposed to be really quite excellent... they also have just released a turntable which looks REALLY interesting, esp if you are one to tinker and don't mind fastidious trial and error setup...

yea, i get i'm gonna need a dedicated preamp. i'm really hesitant to drop a lot on a preamp (aside from having pretty much no discretionary income at the moment) as my turntable (JVC JL-A15) and receiver (onkyo ht-r560) are mediocre at best.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what's up @narlus ?
where have you been?

damn, narlus and lovebunny on the SAME DAY? who's next?
i haven't been around RM in a while but happened to see a notification pop up so figured i'd check it out.

here's 2020:
lost my job in Jan
broke up w/ my girlfriend in Jun
did an ill-fated trip to Mex in Jul
started dating another woman in Aug
moved to Lowell in Sept
Oct - hopefully gonna get a job offer this week.

on the RM-side, i did buy a new-to-me bike, a 2009 Pivot Mach429 that is really fun to ride. replaced my '98 Spec Enduro (who I incidentally bought from the same guy, back in '04).

i haven't been around RM in a while but happened to see a notification pop up so figured i'd check it out.

here's 2020:
lost my job in Jan
moved to Lowell in Sept

on the RM-side, i did buy a new-to-me bike, a 2009 Pivot Mach429 that is really fun to ride. replaced my '98 Spec Enduro (who I incidentally bought from the same guy, back in '04).
Good to hear from you!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

here's 2020:
lost my job in Jan
moved to Lowell in Sept

i've been following your fb posts of past concerts. crazy times we live in.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've been following your fb posts of past concerts. crazy times we live in.
Kinda can’t wait for pandemic times to be done but I’m not alone in that assessment.
If anyone wants to follow me on the socials, I’m on IG and FB pretty regularly with both personal and photography-related accounts.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Kinda can’t wait for pandemic times to be done but I’m not alone in that assessment.
If anyone wants to follow me on the socials, I’m on IG and FB pretty regularly with both personal and photography-related accounts.
i still can't get over the loss of riley. you were the one who turned me onto power trip, its a shame we'll never get to see how far they would have gone.