Quantcast

Old-School DH vid

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
(not sure if it's been posted before or not...)

Nice old-school Tomac stuff!

Some of the riding is a trailbuilder's nightmare...but it's a nice vid of the man... :clapping:

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
cool find. I think it's amazing how much the sport and video has progressed. every kid that makes a vid on Farkin.net rides as well and edits even better.

Boxxer

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Dirty South
haha! I remember watching that years ago. Its interesting how what you think you remember and what you actually saw are two different things. I remember that riding being sooo progressive... now its comical..... great find thanks!

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Last time I saw Tomac riding DH was at the Durango NORBA Finals in 2003. Before he went up for his first practice run, I overheard him talking to a Manitou tech and saying that he hadn't been on a DH bike in "a couple years or so." Later that weekend in practice sessions, I saw him pacing with Kovarik on the nastiest section of that whole course. The dude has always been amazing, and if he put a serious effort into a comeback, I'd bet he'd be right in there with results like Jurgen Beneke had this past season.

--JP

skiforfree33

Monkey
Mar 15, 2007
colorado
oh how I miss durango. seems like it hasn't really changed all that much. Lot of that riding reminds me of test trax.
dude that is test trax. that was him riding down hags back. i live in durango and it has changed so much just like in the past year that are cutting down alot of trees and making huge draining ditches now

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
I doubt it. He never beat Jurgen or Gachet, but he was always consistent. Now his legend will be greater, as evident by this post.

He is definitely the best overall rider of our time- that no one can challenge. He even raced for motorola in the mid 90's until he won the XC world championships.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
THis is one of my favorite old school vids. BOy I wish Deaton would have won, but cully was the fastest man that day.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
try like '93 or so.

in 96 they actually had real downhill bikes (sans barends and high seatposts).
90% sure its '96....I watched him race several nationals that year and he was riding a bike that looked identical, Judy SL and all. '96 was the last year he raced XC full time (won a national title too), he focused on downhill after that.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
The only reason he was so slow was because no one invented 1200mm wide bars yet. duh.