Quantcast

Old School Score

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
So, I finally get a chance to get out on the bike a bit over the weekend, always a good thing. The bike is all tuned and everything is working nicely. I have a nug of some really nice local to help improve my focus and the weather is flippin beautiful. It's going to be a nice day.
I ease on over to my private honey-hole and get my swerve on. I meet up with the proprietor of said trails and we get in a great ride.
Over post ride beers, I ask him if he has any 7 speed parts laying around ( he has a ton of old bikes and parts). He says to go look in the back shed where I discover this little gem.

I ask what the deal is with the old Schwinn and he tells me to put it in my truck and take it home. He had hopes of restoring it, but we all know how that goes sometimes
From what I can tell from the serial# is it was built in May of 1961. It's a 24" , the set back seat post and riser bars where fairly rare as well as the 24 only being sold in '61.
As I was taking the bike to my truck, I noticed his Kona full-squish was in pieces. I ask him what's up with that and he said he needs a derailleur hanger. I go looking in my camelbak and just so happen to have a brand new one...Just one of those great days.

Last edited:

kidwithbike

Monkey
Apr 16, 2007
Hoboken, NJ
glad you had a good day, and were able to repay his generosity.
you lost me with the use of strange vernacular terms such as honey hole and getting your swerve on.

i dare you to drag race a chevy corvette on that hog.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
Not planning on doing a resto, a good cleaning, remove as much rust as possible and relube everything. A little air in the tires today and I rode it around the yard, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I like cool, old bikes way more than I do money...selling is out of the question.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
It looks a little better after a quick cleaning. I noticed that the headtube badge is missing and that the seat is not original...kinda suck, but no real big deal. After some searching, I found out that this bike retailed for about 60 bucks. In 1961, according the the average wage, this was almost a weeks pay...pretty cool.