Quantcast

Oldest component?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I got back from an amazing ride today and contemplated my bike while doing some maintenance. My old Time ATACs in scuba yellow (where the paint still exists) are worn flat on the retaining bars, but the bearings are still going strong and they've never once given me a hint of trouble. They're only 8 years old but have been on many, many bikes, been epic-ridden, road-ridden, been on DH bikes and gone up the lifts with me.

They were my second set of clipless pedals, after a set of cheapie Wellgo SPDs which I bought to try out this crazy idea of attaching your shoes to your pedals.

What's the longest-used part you've still got in the parts box, or better yet still on your bike? What's been the part that just keeps on going for you?

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
mike, you remember that set of hayes champagnes i had on my balfa back in 2005 that you called old as hell? well i just took them out of retirement and they are now entering their 9th or 10th year of service on my beater xc bike

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
That was a compliment, you realize...? :) Hayes just keep on going. Except for mine, but I guess they had a pretty good run. I LOVE my new Maguras, in fact.

PS--looks like we'll be on R&R in Feb/Mar and are coming back to SD. I will hit Noble, regardless of conditions...might need to rent a bike or borrow one. Hopefully will have a chance to ride more than once, even.

Last edited:

igz-

Monkey
Nov 30, 2008
Santa Cruz
I have my stem from my Specialized Bighit Comp 2003 which was bought October 2002. 7 workin on 8 years old now... crazy.

What else... seat clamp from 07 SX-Trail which was bought in 2006... anddddd

DT Oynx front hub, 6 years old. No bearing replacements, no issues, still smooth as ever and rolls fer dayz. DT QUALITY SON

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
Just got a new frame and fork. Built up the bike with all of my old parts. I realized that the crank (shimano XT but the rings are new race face...), the hubs and the seatpost were off of the original hammerhead, circa April 2005.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
My cranks are pre-hollowtech LX as well--I think 04-05. No signs of letting me buy a new set of hollowtechs any time soon, either.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Still ride my 99 Time ATAC carbon but they have seen some year in storage. I have never done anything to them and they still fell good.

Bushwhacker

Turbo Monkey
Dec 4, 2003
Tar Effing River!! NC
I don't have any bikes newer than 2004. None of them are original builds anymore but my Stinky still has the original cassette, derailleurs, shifters and seatpost. My road bike is a 1976 Zebrakenko that is all original minus tires/cable/seat. I have a Judy fork that came on my 2001 Raleigh M-80 that is still being used on 24" Trek MT220 that my son beats the snot out of.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
On one of my bike's I have a set of the older XTR cranks, circa 2000. In the parts box I have a powerpost from '95. I never could bring myself to get rid of it :D

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Front wheel. 2002, 28 spoke vee brake ceramic surface, King hub, incredibly light. It has always been on my main bike and has tens of thousand miles. Not only is it still going strong but I've never had to even think about truing it.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Well I bought my frame used and it is I think it's an '02.

My Shimano XT 4 piston brakes are still going strong. (Though they are due for an overhaul)

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Bike is a 2001 XtC Team. So the following stuff is 8 years old:

Crossmax wheels
RS Psylo U-Turn
XTR rear der
XT fr der
XT crank/BB (a couple new chainrings)
Thomson seatpost & stem
Hayes hydro brakes
WTB seat

I think everything else has been replaced. ;)

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I have a lot of old stuff still in use.

I have a set of 747 pedals on my cx/road bike. I bought them used third-hand in maybe 2000 and have been using them ever since.

The front shifter/brake lever for that bike (Ultegra 9 speed) is also pretty old. Had a 1998 Cannondale R1000 (bought in 1999 I think), used it for a few years and transferred the parts to a CX frame in maybe 2003. Been used ever since. The bars (Cinelli Eubios) and seatpost (Kalloy generic) are also from the R1000, but all the other parts that I brought over (like cranks, rear shifter) have been replaced.

My XC hardtail is a few years old. Kona Muli-Mula, maybe from 2001. Most of the parts are high-end stuff from the late nineties-ish: square taper turbine LP cranks, XT 8 speed drivetrain, Avid/XTR V-brakes, King/517 wheels. The old Sid XC on it died last year, but all the other parts are still working. Admittedly, though, most have not seen that much use for their age.

Last thing is my commuter bike. It was my dad's old bike. I think it's a 1997 Trek 750. Pretty decent bike for a hybrid: STX parts, TT OX steel frame. All the parts are original. I NEVER do work on the thing, partially because I bet everything is rusted/correded in place or is already worn out. The teeth on the rear derailleur are probably just tiny spikes by now; chain is covered in what looks like crude oil mixed with dirt. It sat in the garage for a few years before I resurrected it (had to use a reciprocating saw to cut through the seatpost, which was corroded into the frame to an incredible degree), but has seen some good use for the last two years.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
Strangely enough, mine has to be my Time ATAC carbon pedals as well. If I remember correctly they are from 2000 and have been used on at least 5 different bikes.

MikeD, if you need springs or pins for yours, let me know as we have hundreds.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Well I bought my frame used and it is I think it's an '02.

My Shimano XT 4 piston brakes are still going strong. (Though they are due for an overhaul)
copy that.

My RFX is an '02, the King headset which lives in said frame is the same, and my XT (755) brakes are from around '00.

There are parts on my road bike that are older than I can even call.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I finally replaced my worn out rear derailleur. Had it for 5 years. SRAM X-7. Had to get another.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
2000 Dean 853 hardtail
2001(02?) first year Fox fork that I won on MTBR. Not only is it free, but it's been one of my most reliable components over the years.

Oct 9, 2006
1992 steel stumpjumper frame that still has the original XT sealed bearing headset in it. THis was my first nice race bike growing up. It has been reincarnated as a single speed 700c flat bar cross bike. However the XT headset and XT seatpost from 92ish ar still holding strong. The whole bike is a throw back. White Bros Ti riser bar, Yellow Race Face 5bolt square tape DH cranks, pretty sweet!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I don't have bikes for more than a few years at best. I do have some parts in boxes off older bikes that I may never use for anything ever again but can't bring myself to toss.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Time pedals won't die. I think I have 4 sets including some old carbons I bought used about 8 years ago.

Vintage 180mm Cooks Brothers cranks. Square taper. I bought them used 15 years ago. Still see regular use.

C.P.

Monkey
Jan 18, 2004
SouthEastern Massachusetts
Shimano UN72 BB and Raceface Cranks...yes square taper...and yes, seen the likes of Highland, Nam and are on their third bike in 9 years, (now a SC Bullit). I regularly bet against them lasting yet another ride, and they keep right on going...knocking on wood...

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
I just put new pads in a 6 year old Avid BB7 brake and installed it on my beer bike.

The set of Avids came on my Flying Monkey and have been on 4 bikes. The rubber seals rotted out of the front brake, but the rear one is still going. They were used 6 years straight with the same pads.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I got back from an amazing ride today and contemplated my bike while doing some maintenance. My old Time ATACs in scuba yellow (where the paint still exists) are worn flat on the retaining bars, but the bearings are still going strong and they've never once given me a hint of trouble. They're only 8 years old but have been on many, many bikes, been epic-ridden, road-ridden, been on DH bikes and gone up the lifts with me.

They were my second set of clipless pedals, after a set of cheapie Wellgo SPDs which I bought to try out this crazy idea of attaching your shoes to your pedals.

What's the longest-used part you've still got in the parts box, or better yet still on your bike? What's been the part that just keeps on going for you?
Lizard Skin Chain Stay protector. I bought it when they first came out, back in tha muh-fukin-day.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Still regularly riding my Ritchey clipless pedals from 1995... the less common black version (most were red at the time)