Quantcast

On automobiles in general

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
A little tiny flattop and a waffle Iron built into the dash. Also a little fridge for syrup and butter built into the glove box. A dirty dish console. A cute chick dressed in a maids outfit to ride shotgun for when you need to flip the eggs. She can reach over and take the wheel as you eat your waffle.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
One of my few complaints with the M is the lack of a Bluetooth integration into the stereo, but it's a 2002 so that's expected. It doesn't have TPMS, but does have a par system so that's good enough for me. The Infiniti has way too much going on and since I can't integrate my Android maps into it, the GPS is worthless. However the smart integration into Bluetooth and music is very nice. The smart cruise control is epic for daily driving. The Subaru is raw. At least the prior 2010 I had came with a Bluetooth integration, but that had the $2500 Infotainment system which wasn't worth it.

My next car only needs a few things:
- smart cruise control
- Android GPS integration
- Bluetooth
- music integration
- Service alerts (manually updated at point in time)

Anything beyond that shouldn't be done while the car is moving and will be done while stopped.
I've got a Dice Mediabridge plugged in place of the CD changer in my M3 for bluetooth support. Works great, and was cheap.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I've got a Dice Mediabridge plugged in place of the CD changer in my M3 for bluetooth support. Works great, and was cheap.
Sandwich's car search has convinced me that I should just fix the small to do issues and turn the M. Prices are up and my grownup logic says sell it to use the money for smarter things, which I have a lot of.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
A little tiny flattop and a waffle Iron built into the dash. Also a little fridge for syrup and butter built into the glove box. A dirty dish console. A cute chick dressed in a maids outfit to ride shotgun for when you need to flip the eggs. She can reach over and take the wheel as you eat your waffle.
Don't forget a wok and a pair of microwaves.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
My 2008 VW can show tire pressure for each wheel. i just need to get out of the car and put a gage on it.

I for one don't give a shit about the silly fancy user electronics that come on new cars short of stability and traction control. Would be nice to have a high quality car that was designed to drive well but was stripped down on features. I can shift my own gears, adjust my own seat and mirrors and open my windows. I manage to stay in my own lane and not rear end people without nanny electronics. I get navigation through my phone and for fuck sakes keep touch screens out of cars. Tactile buttons and knobs can be used while keeping eyes on the road and not fumbling through screens that require the majority of your visual attention.

It would also be nice if manufacturers offered vehicles that were optimized to drive on actual roads and not some faux offroader to massage peoples egos about being tough outdoorsmen while they panic shop for bread and milk anytime frozen precipitation falls from the sky.
I'm with you on most of this. I think adaptive cruise control would be nice. The only time I got a speeding ticket is when I tried to pass a guy who was going 2 km/h slower than I was, just caus' it was annoying to catch up to him ever so slowly...

Shifting my own gears is going to be the biggest thing I will miss when I eventually get an electric vehicle. It'll probably be the only thing I will miss when i get an EV.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Things I value in cars:

- full speed/stop and go adaptive cruise control
- CarPlay/Android Auto
- clean interface for common tasks (eg turning on heated wheel) and auto climate control
- 2” hitch for my T2
- ski pass through and Nokians for the winter
- doesn’t sound like a buzzing piece of crap (4 bangers with CVTs come to mind)

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
I have an old F150. It caries bikes and goes through dirt and snow. Sometimes one of the windows doesn't work good and the stereo never works.

My criteria for my next vehicle is that it caries bikes and goes through dirt and snow and both the windows work good and the stereo works.

What is all this wizardry you are talking about?

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I have an old F150. It caries bikes and goes through dirt and snow. Sometimes one of the windows doesn't work good and the stereo never works.

My criteria for my next vehicle is that it caries bikes and goes through dirt and snow and both the windows work good and the stereo works.

What is all this wizardry you are talking about?
surprised the state of California has not come and taken your vehicle

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
how does anyone have only one vehicle and its not a truck. Boggles the mind, how do they move or get things bigger than the trunk?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I love the SiriusXM in my Subaru. It's exposed me to a lot of a music I otherwise would not have heard on FM radio and I've downloaded a lot of songs because of it. I was a subscriber before cars started including it though.

Besides that though, yeah, I don't need a lot of electronics in my car. Mine has all sorts of data and apps in that dashboard computer that I'll never look at or use. The car is always fucking yelling at me too with that friggin "Eyesight" feature. I bought my Outback fully loaded because it was all or nothing with the 6 cylinder and I wanted the sunroof and leather.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
I love the SiriusXM in my Subaru. It's exposed me to a lot of a music I otherwise would not have heard on FM radio and I've downloaded a lot of songs because of it. I was a subscriber before cars started including it though.

Besides that though, yeah, I don't need a lot of electronics in my car. Mine has all sorts of data and apps in that dashboard computer that I'll never look at or use. I bought my Outback fully loaded because it was all or nothing with the 6 cylinder.
mmmmmm, monocle lesbaru

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
how does anyone have only one vehicle and its not a truck. Boggles the mind, how do they move or get things bigger than the trunk?
Why own a truck, when the biggest thing that I carry on a regular basis are bikes. My bikes all fit in the back of my car without issue. This car is tiny, yet last fall I still managed a road trip where I carried the bike on the rack, camping stuff and a cooler in the back and I ended up sleeping in the back of the car.

When I had the Mazda three hatchback, we somehow fit myself and two +6' dudes in it, two DH bikes on the back and one DH bike and all the clothing and gear for three adults inside the cabin. It was tight, but a lot of these hatchbacks and wagons have as much if not more than some "SUVs" that are floating around these days.

When I do need a truck, there are plenty of friends that have them with pristine and unused beds. Why pay for the truck and the gas, when someone else will for you? :)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
quite easily actually.

there's things called "moving companies". because a lot of people have neither the time or patience to move a house full of shit.

you know that trucks can be rented right? there's also delivery, wherein a company or person(s) WITH a truck can be consigned to deliver said larger than trunk item.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I love the SiriusXM in my Subaru. It's exposed me to a lot of a music I otherwise would not have heard on FM radio and I've downloaded a lot of songs because of it.
You should try out Spotify - same thing except you get to take it EVERYWHERE, including your car. :clue:

Why own a truck, when the biggest thing that I carry on a regular basis are bikes. My bikes all fit in the back of my car without issue.
Dude. Junkyard actually owns a junkyard. His view is... biased. :D

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
quite easily actually.

there's things called "moving companies". because a lot of people have neither the time or patience to move a house full of shit.

you know that trucks can be rented right? there's also delivery, wherein a company or person(s) WITH a truck can be consigned to deliver said larger than trunk item.
I dont have the time or patience to ask people for help or trust people to move my stuff. I just know other people that are homeowners and they are constantly needing help getting something or getting rid of something. I tell em to get a truck of their own and dont help because i dont have time.

But im on a different life plan than some people, not better or worse, just different and we dont always understand each other. Thats ok.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I dont have the time or patience to ask people for help or trust people to move my stuff. I just know other people that are homeowners and they are constantly needing help getting something or getting rid of something. I tell em to get a truck of their own and dont help because i dont have time.

But im on a different life plan than some people, not better or worse, just different and we dont always understand each other. Thats ok.
Sounds like you need a truck. :homer:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

most people just pay movers.