Quantcast

On races and promoters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Since the other thread has moved on to the devine justice that is BBQ, I won't jack that thread in the interest of keeping the goodwill of slow cooked pork alive...

After taking a few days and thinking things out, these are my thoughts on the subject I raised Sunday night. Good, bad, something about Smurfs mugging old ladies for crack money, these are just my thoughts.

I will start by saying in regards to Trevyn perhaps I was out of line. He was well on his way to a crap weekend when I approached. His event was coming apart at the seams, people were wet, slightly drunk, and pissed off. Maybe I should have approached later, or worked something out the next day, but we had been sitting in the rain for hours trying to work out what we were doing. Short fuses, poor judgement and my hot head may have gone too far. While I will say that I still think a refund was in order, perhaps in regards to Trevyn and Trevyn alone I could have done this in a more "bro worthy" manner. I may owe him an apology, and if I do I damn sure will make it.

That being said, those thoughts still do not apply to Jason. I feel he was very unprofessional and misinformed, and was more antagonistic then needed be. I do not feel I owe him an apology, nor do I have any intent of making such an ovation.

Many of you are right, Snowshoe is part of a very small number of places that are willing to tolerate monkies and freaks like us on big bikes. While I still do not believe that in any way, shape or form an across the board refund would have broken the series, Snowshoe's commitment to the sport, or the ability for us to ride there, I understand some of you might feel different in the interest of assured access to somewhere on the East to ride.

In the end, maybe I swung too hard on this particular facet of my weekend. I have a penchant for going too big with things, but there are also times I know that when I am right people aren't going to like what I said. If you don't dig me, what I have to say or have said, or what I do, that's your right. I am sure there are several of you that I would disagree with on a daily level, but we all still ride, and that's what matters. It would be a disservice and just plain boring as all hell for all of us to disagree. Conflict is crucial to the growth of a thing.

Snowshoe is a great place. A long drive, and none too cheap to stay at, but none the less one hell of a place to put rubber to dirt, or sloppy clay mud as it may have been. I enjoyed it, even the throwing a fit to get my $15 back.

Hope to see all of you in the dirt. If I get back in time from Sonoma I'll damn sure make an effort to make the next go 'round. Hell, might even bring a pony keg just to see what happens.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Just one other quick thing.

Some folk take offense to the terms of phrase I use. Kids, they're jokes and hyperbole to show the juxtaposition of things.

<snip> Moderator edit.
ah-ha!

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Tattooo said:
Just one other quick thing.

Some folk take offense to the terms of phrase I use. Kids, they're jokes and hyperbole to show the juxtaposition of things.

<snip> moderator edit
ah-ha!
That's right, Some do take offense As I do, Also are you aware that Kids can see your "Jokes"?

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
Msisle Dad said:
That's right, Some do take offense As I do, Also are you aware that Kids can see your "Jokes"?
No offence but isnt it you're job(as a parent) to monitor what the kids are viewing??
I do think the "Mary" thing was WAY out of line. But then again I am a grown man.... At least my age says so.

Tatoo, Very big of you to see that you may of over-reacted. I am sure the boys at Snowshoe would love to hear that personally.
I really does take a big man to admit when he was wrong. I dont mean a BIG man either. - JM

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Msisle Dad said:
Yes, I am. And frankly I have no intent of censorship because they are reading here. If you don't want them reading what I have to say, then don't let them read here.

Amendment I - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

While freed of speech is not inherently promised here on RM, as it is private (see, I am growing up and can come to terms with that) I will in no way, shape or form bend to the PTA/Soccer Parent contingent. Your kids are not special, nor do they or their virgin eyes mean much of anything to me. If you don't like my jokes, take it up with God and Jerry Fawell.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Tattooo said:
Yes, I am. And frankly I have no intent of censorship because they are reading here. If you don't want them reading what I have to say, then don't let them read here.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

While freed of speech is not inherently promised here on RM, as it is private (see, I am growing up and can come to terms with that) I will in no way, shape or form bend to the PTA/Soccer Parent contingent. Your kids are not special, nor do they or their virgin eyes mean much of anything to me. If you don't like my jokes, take it up with God and Jerry Fawell.

Posting to this board is secure and as you say "private" It is however readable by anyone who cares to click on the website.

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
If you want to avoid some serious ridicule on this site, don't go down that free speech road. The first amendment was not created to protect ones rights to be a jackass on a privately owned website, which is what this is. If you really think that the first amendment has anything at all to do with what you are posting on this forum, I would suggest that you go back to school.

Tattooo said:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Like I said, I know the site is private. However, they can choose, should they see fit, to moderate me, and I can live with that. I know the moderators, they know my humor is not without a point.

Besides, people need to be able to find some humor in things deemed sacred or possibly offensive. There is a difference between my jokes and just writing **** 1000 times.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Tattooo said:
Besides, people need to be able to find some humor in things deemed sacred or possibly offensive. There is a difference between my jokes and just writing **** 1000 times.
The least funny person is the guy who THINKS he's funny, and things everyone else is stupid for not getting it. Thats not a new act here either.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
BeerDemon said:
The least funny person is the guy who THINKS he's funny, and things everyone else is stupid for not getting it. Thats not a new act here either.
40,515 posts! Good god man.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
BeerDemon said:
Wow, getting all sanctimonious on me.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
John M said:
No offence but isnt it you're job(as a parent) to monitor what the kids are viewing??
I do think the "Mary" thing was WAY out of line. But then again I am a grown man.... At least my age says so.

Tatoo, Very big of you to see that you may of over-reacted. I am sure the boys at Snowshoe would love to hear that personally.
I really does take a big man to admit when he was wrong. I dont mean a BIG man either. - JM
I'm on this website often as a regular participant. And I think that Offensive statements have no business. on this site The only I kid i have who is on this site is my 17 year old son. He can make his own decisions as to what is right & wrong. There are ways of stating positions with out offending. And yes, younger Kids do get on this site and we as members should have some consideration as to how we express ourselves.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Nope, not me.
It is the job of the parent to moderate the child, not the job of the fat ass to moderate his brain spew.

I just don't like the idea that we should change because parents are not doing their job. Would you let a child go buy a Maxim or a Stuff mag? While the law allows for children to go buy these, as they are not considered "adult" mags, there may or may not be things inappropriate for kids inside. Is it then the job of those who cater to the more "blue" humor types, or those using gross exaggeration to show a point, to moderate themselves because parents are too uninvolved in the life of their child?

At the end of the day, you chose to breed, and as such its your gig to take care of what Jr. absorbes on a daily basis. I see no reason to moderate how I speak or think or type because kids might be present. Long rant shorter, if you don't like it, don't read my posts. Tell your kids to do the same.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
40,515 posts! Good god man.
and most of them that i've seen are critical of somebodies speech with an overlying tone of his own superiority.

tattooo.
you know darn good and well you'll never please hardly anyone here.

that's their problem, not yours.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
dhbuilder said:
and most of them that i've seen are critical of somebodies speech with an overlying tone of his own superiority.

tattooo.
you know darn good and well you'll never please hardly anyone here.

that's their problem, not yours.
We have simple guidelines here based on common sense. Yes, I am critical of those that can't operate within those guidelines.

And I have some inside information for you guys. That's not really my post count. :rolleyes:

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
See, here in lies the difference. My parents taught me to think for myself, to be critical of things considered sacred and beyond reproach. If what I say offends you, maybe you should reexamine your beliefs. Since you put so much stock into what may or may not be a work of fiction, have you thought that maybe your ideas offend others?

Because you choose to opiate you and yours with something that may or may not be true in order to deal with the harsh realities that come crashing down on your head every day does not mean that the rest of us need to moderate our way of conversation.

You can hold your values, I can hold mine. You asking me to only type the pretty thoughts is just as offensive to me as my words are to you.

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
BeerDemon said:
We have simple guidelines here based on common sense. Yes, I am critical of those that can't operate within those guidelines.

And I have some inside information for you guys. That's not really my post count. :rolleyes:
How did you jack your post count?

How is it that what I say is out of the guidelines?

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
BeerDemon said:

Thanks for clearing that up, seeing how you would probably have to live like a troll to log those kinda numbers. I was a little weirded out there for a minute. It only took me three years to get a 1000.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Msisle Dad said:
I'm on this website often as a regular participant. And I think that Offensive statements have no business. on this site The only I kid i have who is on this site is my 17 year old son. He can make his own decisions as to what is right & wrong. There are ways of stating positions with out offending. And yes, younger Kids do get on this site and we as members should have some consideration as to how we express ourselves.
this site is full of offensive responses to just about any posts on subjects other than the famous "dude, what tires should i run ?"

i get attacked by the same two guys anytime i post anything about the trail system i operate.

some people post nothing but offensive statements.
it's far easier to sit back at your desk and blast away, than posting something of substance.
and this site has an abundance of people who do just that.

the moderaters have their hands full to be sure.
and they can't be here 24/7
we've all seen vulgarity from time to time here before they can deal with it.

this whole stupid e-world is full of crap kids shouldn't see that is totally unmoderated.

and if your desire is to protect them from undesired material, this site should be the least of your worries.

DirtyDog

Aug 2, 2005
Tattooo said:
How did you jack your post count?

How is it that what I say is out of the guidelines?
In your case, you are using that free speech nonsense to declare that your rights to say whatever you want on RM are protected by law. That has been tried here many times before and I wanted to make sure you understood it was not true before we had a problem.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
BeerDemon said:

could it be the number of beers you've consumed ?

if so, that's outstanding !!!

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
Nope, I learned my lesson about how this isn't a free forum. I know the rules, and I try to operate within them. I like this forum, I think its a good exchange of ideas and information.

I also think that just like anywhere else there is going to be disagreement. Like Martha would say "Its a good thing."

When I cited the well worn, tried and true 1st Amendment, it was in reference to what Msisle Dad said regarding offensive content based on religion. It was not specific to this site, but to his line of thought. He loves the Free Religion part, hates the Free Speech part.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Nothing personal Tatoo but I fixed your posts and your quote Msisle Dad. Now it's all family safe. I figure it'll cost me a beer when we meet at the 'shoe next time.

I thought the Mary joke was funny as heck (and I probably going there for that) but Dad's right... Let's keep it so the kids can browse.

Mike

Tattooo

Turbo Monkey
Jun 5, 2005
OV
DART! Damnit, you're killing me here.

Anal.

Maybe it will make Timmy or Suzy (rotten crotch) ask mom and dad about the true nature of the system of beliefs force fed to them by those authority figures who may or may not have clue one.

Come on, anal, put it back, anal. Up the Batty.

What time are key bumps in the parking lot?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Tattooo said:
DART! Damnit, you're killing me here.

What time are key bumps in the parking lot?
Sorry man. This just isn't the place for that stuff. Think of Lil' Manimal, if not think of Big Manimal about to shoot you! :sneaky:

As a parent, I have to leave it up to the other parents to tell their kids about that stuff.

You're doing really good here with the whole afterthought/introspection thing.

Come back up to the 'shoe (7/8-9 or the next race) and I'll hook you up with that beer.

What's "key bumps in the parking lot"?

Mike

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
dhbuilder said:
this site is full of offensive responses to just about any posts on subjects other than the famous "dude, what tires should i run ?"

i get attacked by the same two guys anytime i post anything about the trail system i operate.

some people post nothing but offensive statements.
it's far easier to sit back at your desk and blast away, than posting something of substance.
and this site has an abundance of people who do just that.

the moderaters have their hands full to be sure.
and they can't be here 24/7
we've all seen vulgarity from time to time here before they can deal with it.

this whole stupid e-world is full of crap kids shouldn't see that is totally unmoderated.

and if your desire is to protect them from undesired material, this site should be the least of your worries.

Joking is fine, but pushing the envelope for shock value is worthless.
We as parents are responsible for teaching/guiding our kids. Nobody else. Let's take the kids out of this discussion. Why do people think it's ok to be rude or offensive in general on a cycling Forum?

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
Tattooo said:
When I cited the well worn, tried and true 1st Amendment, it was in reference to what Msisle Dad said regarding offensive content based on religion. It was not specific to this site, but to his line of thought. He loves the Free Religion part, hates the Free Speech part.
I cherish our freedoms, I am disgusted with people who hide behind them as an excuse to offend.

Status
Not open for further replies.