Quantcast

On-the-Fly Seat height adjustment, Pat. Pending

Dark-Lite

Chimp
Aug 5, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
How would you like to have On-the-Fly i.e. on your handlebar, seat hieght adjustment?
We are currently working on a prototype, for On-the-Fly seat hieght adjustment. Pat. Pending. We would like to know what you think of this idea. Imagine an intense uphill ride directly followed by an intense downhill. Now ask yourself would you rather take that downhill with the seat in your way or would rather press a lever on your handlebar to get the seat out of your way. In this situation or any, the On-the-Fly adjustable seat post will be right were you want it to be.

We would appretiate any feedback you give us for further development. If you have any questions, or comments you can E-mail us at mikewarner3@aol.com
:)
All of us from Dark-Lite thank you for your time. RIDE HARD!!

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Dark-Lite
How would you like to have On-the-Fly i.e. on your handlebar, seat hieght adjustment?
We are currently working on a prototype, for On-the-Fly seat hieght adjustment. Pat. Pending. We would like to know what you think of this idea. Imagine an intense uphill ride directly followed by an intense downhill. Now ask yourself would you rather take that downhill with the seat in your way or would rather press a lever on your handlebar to get the seat out of your way. In this situation or any, the On-the-Fly adjustable seat post will be right were you want it to be.

We would appretiate any feedback you give us for further development. If you have any questions, or comments you can E-mail us at mikewarner3@aol.com
:)
All of us from Dark-Lite thank you for your time. RIDE HARD!!
sorry but this has already been done...........

Dark-Lite

Chimp
Aug 5, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
our desighn which is simpler and easier and cheaper to manufacture has never..NEVER been done.i and my co inventor are fully aware of the gas and oil mediums of the previous desighns. This is spring driven and requires almost no effort and is infinitely adjustable.had it been done before we would not be attempting to apply for the utility patent. to all people out there including our concerned and only respondant to our desperate plea for attention next time you are riding and I dont care where your from if you ride xcountry,freeride, or treck long distances ask yourself how much more enjoyable your ride would be if you could adjust the seat at any time where ever you want it when you want it and think obout just how may obstacles you encounter that could more enjoyable if you did not have to worry about where the seat was in relation to your more sensative delacate areas.Think about that sweet technical seciton on the downhill and the grouling climb you may have immidiately afterwards and what a total pain in the ass it is to adjsut your seat to just the right hieght so you can enjoy your entire ride with just that one seat hieght. Any one with a quick release on his/her seat post or even that dambed bolt ,can you honestly say that you are not just conforming to the industry standard? that you simply have no other options? You have and option dark-lite:devil:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
our desighn which is simpler and easier and cheaper to manufacture has never..NEVER been done.i and my co inventor are fully aware of the gas and oil mediums of the previous desighns. This is spring driven and requires almost no effort and is infinitely adjustable.had it been done before we would not be attempting to apply for the utility patent. to all people out there including our concerned and only respondant to our desperate plea for attention next time you are riding and I dont care where your from if you ride xcountry,freeride, or treck long distances ask yourself how much more enjoyable your ride would be if you could adjust the seat at any time where ever you want it when you want it and think obout just how may obstacles you encounter that could more enjoyable if you did not have to worry about where the seat was in relation to your more sensative delacate areas.Think about that sweet technical seciton on the downhill and the grouling climb you may have immidiately afterwards and what a total pain in the ass it is to adjsut your seat to just the right hieght so you can enjoy your entire ride with just that one seat hieght. Any one with a quick release on his/her seat post or even that dambed bolt ,can you honestly say that you are not just conforming to the industry standard? that you simply have no other options? You have and option dark-lite:devil:
sounds cool and there is a market out there for this type of product. to me an adjustable seat post doesn't sound good. having my saddle up doesn't bother me on down hills. i'm sure it would be easier to ride dh if my saddle was lower but eh i race xc for other things then riding dh hill. hope the product does well for you....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Hurricane Components is making these for 2003 - seat or handlebar adjustable. Jeff from hurricane posted about this on MTBR.

peyto

Chimp
Jun 9, 2002
Vancouver, B.C.
hite rites rule.....too bad they dont make them anymore....how about a ti spring hite rite?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I would buy one of those. Thing is, there's a couple of critical features you'd need to get my business:

1 - small enough size. Of my 6 or so bikes, all but one is a 27.2 post. I looked at the Axiom telescoping post (available OEM on Norcos), and you can't get 'em in sizes that small. If it's not do-able in a 27.2 it's a no-go.

2 - make one with a layback. I immensely prefer laid-back posts, esp. on dh-style bikes. I don't know how interested I'd be without an option for a layback post.

Anyway, that really sounds like a cool idea; I've often wished for just such a product! Good luck taking it to market.....

brock

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
Tacoma, WA
If you want my opinion. Well actually your going to get it regardless.

I could do without "on the fly" adjustments or more crap on my handlebars. I would just like someone to figure out a way to make a telescoping seatpost for small diameters that won't bend.

I won't hold my breath

robsta

Chimp
Jul 24, 2002
SUISUN (BAY AREA), CA
I sold a Dakar to some old Tweeker one time. He asked me if I knew where to get a compression spring that fits the seat post I.D.
I asked him why he wanted one, he said it enables him to adjust heigth on the fly.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by robsta
I sold a Dakar to some old Tweeker one time. He asked me if I knew where to get a compression spring that fits the seat post I.D.
I asked him why he wanted one, he said it enables him to adjust heigth on the fly.
If you took a Jr.T preload spacer and a pair of long springs (like the 7" Jr.T), and dropped 'em all down your seat tube, that would work pretty well. Just hit the QR and the seat would pop up.

The problem I have, is that my seat tube is about 3.5" long and is an interrupted design - if I put anything longer than 6" in there, it hits the damn shock.

Which is why I would want something self-contained, ideally a telescoping design. In other words, what Brock said - just give me something with a USEABLE diameter (27.2) that won't bend. It would be cool to have a handlebar release, but that's probably not the most critical design element IMHO.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Sub6's design ideas are exactly the same requirements I need on my AC bike. Its 27.2 and has a "bent" seat tube design that doesn't allow for much range., not enough range that a freeride bike demands. I don't care about weight, on the fly would be cool but not at the sacrifice of cost or simplicity. I as well prefer layback seat posts to straight designs, I also prefer 2 bolt seat clamps.

GIVE ME MORE SEAT HEIGHT RANGE PLEASE!!

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by sub6

Which is why I would want something self-contained, ideally a telescoping design. In other words, what Brock said - just give me something with a USEABLE diameter (27.2) that won't bend. It would be cool to have a handlebar release, but that's probably not the most critical design element IMHO.
What's your weight requirement? I ask because what you describe above could be pretty easily done with a chromoly inner (maybe outer too) sleeve, but it won't be light.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by ohio

What's your weight requirement? I ask because what you describe above could be pretty easily done with a chromoly inner (maybe outer too) sleeve, but it won't be light.

Hmm. This intrigues me. I really would have no weight requirement, b/c it would be on a FR/DH type bike. My challenge so far has pretty much been finding something small enough to fit inside a 27.2 post. I have a 25.4, and it's still too big to go inside any of the 27.2s that I have, and I'm not too keen on thinner-walled seatposts for such an application anyway.

This doesn't even begin to address the issue of where do I find a small enough QR, but that's not my concern yet!

Is there such thing as a seatpost smaller than a 25.4?

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
Originally posted by sub6

Hmm. This intrigues me. I really would have no weight requirement, b/c it would be on a FR/DH type bike. My challenge so far has pretty much been finding something small enough to fit inside a 27.2 post. I have a 25.4, and it's still too big to go inside any of the 27.2s that I have, and I'm not too keen on thinner-walled seatposts for such an application anyway.

This doesn't even begin to address the issue of where do I find a small enough QR, but that's not my concern yet!

Is there such thing as a seatpost smaller than a 25.4?
I don't know of any, but there's certainly chromoly tubing that's smaller than 25.4mm (1"), and if you use a chromoly outer, it'll be thinwalled enough that for a 27.2 outer, you can probably use a 25.4 inner no problem.

Pay a visit to a machine shop and see if they have any tubing scrap to play around with...

Dark-Lite

Chimp
Aug 5, 2002
Colorado Springs, CO
hite rite does not have true on the fly capability and although it may be proven to adjust your seat hieght easily while riding it still requires that you take your hand off the bar and that is what we here @dark-lite are trying to change. One should not have to worry about what the bike is requireing of you to manualy adjust one should simply be riding barely aware of the bike which floats beneath them while careening down thier favourite trail:devil:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Racers won't use it because XC courses rarely require lowering the saddle and it will add weight. Non racers don't need to worry about stopping to lower their saddle. But I also think the new RS remote lockout is absolutely stupid. How much more difficult is it to reach down 6 inches or so the top of the fork crown? You turn the lockout on when its smooth and on before its rough so why the need to have a handlebar lever and mechanism.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
It sounds like a good idea but i wouldn't waste my time inventing something like that cause so few people will buy it. People who race will find it's to heavy for the benifits if any and other people can just get off their bike and adjust it if it's a problem.

crashing_sux

Monkey
Jul 17, 2002
Vancouver, WA
Sounds like a Power Post. I ride with one on my Enduro and love it. Beautiful example of engineering, but unfortunately the company went out of business.

Guess that speaks for how many people would actually buy one besides me.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
I would love to see something that you guys (Dark-Lite) are talking about. I am always raising and lowering my seatpost on XC/freeride stuff. I need it high for the climbs but when I come up to a log, jump, technical descent, etc then I like to have the seat slammed (it just feels safer).

Would there be different options for mounting? I don't like a lot of stuff on my bars. And having another cable running from the cockpit back to the seat would kinda stink as well.

Do you have any designs yet?

Slacker

Monkey
Jul 24, 2002
Los Angeles
I would definitely be interested :D just as long as it has some built in safety device so it doesn’t turn into an automatic cock-punching device :eek: :confused: :angry: :dead: