Quantcast

on topic? off topic? oh well- hey WRX Monkies:

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
so, anyone got the mod bug yet? made the mistake of going into the speed shop area at the dealership yesterday ONLY for some touch-up paint...and ended up leaving with a samco intercooler hose kit and a K&N air filter :rolleyes: "just for an afternoon project" (yeah, right)

next: samco intake pipe. after that? ProDrive P1's (17 or 18- not sure yet for the wagon) in the anthracite grey.

ugh. thank goodness I have two jobs.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just as an FYI...

K&Ns are known for increasing power because the increase air flow into the engine - I'm sure you know this already. But, they way they do it might be cause for concern. They offer less resistance because they don't filter the air as well. I've read several studies (some independant, some not) that compair K&N, Amsoil, factory filters, and others. K&N is always at the low end of air quality, and mid-pack for increased performance. Generally, Amsoil and factory air filters are the best combo of both.

Take it for what it's worth... a lot of people run them so they must be at least OK. But I hate the idea of letting more crap past the air filter for a supposed performance gain that I can't feel.

I run an amsoil filter in my truck, if it means anything to you.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
thanks for the info- I had heard some bad things about K&N's but couldnt remember what it was- guess I just need to keep it clean.

mrbigisbudgood

Strangely intrigued by Echo
Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Let's see......

Carbon intake silencer removal kit.
Helix Downpipe
Borla Hush-Back
Cobb Accessport @ Stage II
1/4 mile @ 13.84 @ 102.3 mph

Yes, I got the mod bug.

K&N is supposedly a bad idea for our Rex's for the reason that Jackson stated. We don't want ANY debris getting near our turbos. Of course, if you tear up a turbo, it's a good excuse to put a new VF34 on. :)

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
slowSSer said:
13 anything is something to be proud of
how you like the borla hush-back?
nice list of mods, BTW.
When I first put the Hush on, I was pretty pissed. I started the car up in my shop and about crapped my pants on how loud it was. I was thinking "quietest my ass". It was resonating off the steel walls in the shop. I was PO'd for about a week at the volume. It has since (month and a half) got ALOT quieter. It resonates bass a little in the cabin (3" from the turbo back) of my wagon between 2700-3300 rpm, but other than that it's not loud inside. Outside, when other people have driven my car, it not by any means loud, it just has that boxer rumble with ALOT of bass in the tone. WOT isn't screaming loud, but it sounds very very mean.

I've got alot of compliments on the sound of the car. If you don't want to attract attention from the police, but still have the 3" system to go Stage II, it's either Hush or Stromung.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mrbigisbudgood said:
Let's see......

Carbon intake silencer removal kit.
Helix Downpipe
Borla Hush-Back
Cobb Accessport @ Stage II
1/4 mile @ 13.84 @ 102.3 mph

Yes, I got the mod bug.

K&N is supposedly a bad idea for our Rex's for the reason that Jackson stated. We don't want ANY debris getting near our turbos. Of course, if you tear up a turbo, it's a good excuse to put a new VF34 on. :)
How do you like the accessport?? Does it just change the boost levels?

I think you need to search for a wrecked STi so you can drop in the really nice drivetrain.

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
Westy said:
How do you like the accessport?? Does it just change the boost levels?

I think you need to search for a wrecked STi so you can drop in the really nice drivetrain.
The AP doesn't just raist boost, that's very dangerous in the WRX, it'll lean the car out = detonation = piston meltdown. It changes boost target, fuel timing and duration targets, and ignition timing, all to Cobb's very conservative method of tuning. They favor reliability over power. The last tank of fuel I went through, I got 32 mpg, intentionally staying on the vacuum side of the boost guage. The AP pulls check engine codes as well. :thumb:

I'd love to have the 6 speed with the adjustable transfer case........ :drool: .....sure would make the rally cross' more interesting.

Have you got your wagon in any auto/rally cross' yet Mike? I know the SCCA holds quite a few auto-x races in the Richmond area. I've done one auto-x with mine and discovered I am in serious need of thicker sway bars if I keep trying to race on tarmac. Rally-x is a different story, the 2 I've gone to have basically been Subaru car shows, with muddy cars (muddy STi's are a bueatiful thing).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
mrbigisbudgood said:
The AP doesn't just raist boost, that's very dangerous in the WRX, it'll lean the car out = detonation = piston meltdown. It changes boost target, fuel timing and duration targets, and ignition timing, all to Cobb's very conservative method of tuning. They favor reliability over power. The last tank of fuel I went through, I got 32 mpg, intentionally staying on the vacuum side of the boost guage. The AP pulls check engine codes as well. :thumb:

I'd love to have the 6 speed with the adjustable transfer case........ :drool: .....sure would make the rally cross' more interesting.

Have you got your wagon in any auto/rally cross' yet Mike? I know the SCCA holds quite a few auto-x races in the Richmond area. I've done one auto-x with mine and discovered I am in serious need of thicker sway bars if I keep trying to race on tarmac. Rally-x is a different story, the 2 I've gone to have basically been Subaru car shows, with muddy cars (muddy STi's are a bueatiful thing).
I wish I had time to try an auto cross. Lately life consists of work ride eat sleep, repeat. Can't complain about that much though, except the work part of course.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh yeah, I have 1 mod. To complete the WRX wagon stealth soccer mom look I have a cheap Thule hitch rack installed. I am thinking that when not carrying a bike I can rice it out by bolting on a piece of plywood to the rack for the big spoiler look.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
MudGrrl said:
I am holding out for an STI wagon.

Think that will happen?
A friend of mine just put an STI engine in his wagon. It is pretty nice. He has been moding it since he got it, this is just the latest phase.

Slick50 on this board has quite the WRX, he got it in December and hasn't been able to stop himself from adding every performance enhancement he can find!

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
slowSSer said:
thanks for the info- I had heard some bad things about K&N's but couldnt remember what it was- guess I just need to keep it clean.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the K&N's actually do a better job of filtering the air when they're dirty. You get less air flow because the dirt particles are blocking the pores for air to move through, but at the same time they are removing more particles than the filter would otherwise.

Guntruck

Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
Mill Creek, WA
bean said:
I could be wrong, but my understanding is that the K&N's actually do a better job of filtering the air when they're dirty. You get less air flow because the dirt particles are blocking the pores for air to move through, but at the same time they are removing more particles than the filter would otherwise.

Jeez, I was just about to say that very thing. :D

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
dwaugh said:
My friend has a WRX, he's 19. I think his other car, his good car, is also a WRX, but I could be wrong. Here is a pic or two of it.....He loves that car...
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
Picture 5
That should just about do it. He is sponsered by the company that makes the wheels he has.
(The pictures wouldnt work so I made them links)
Those Headlight inserts look the t!ts.
Carbon Fiber wheels?.... Hmmmmm.

dwaugh

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Bellingham, Washington ~ U.S.A.
Incubus said:
Those Headlight inserts look the t!ts.
Carbon Fiber wheels?.... Hmmmmm.
He goes to car shows about every weekend and wins awards pretty often. I should also add the the inside of the car has been redone as well, he has a lot of new stuff in there along with a DVD player on the dashboard, kinda where CD payers usually go. He also got a turbo engine with air release or something like that.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I did it! I did it too! Well, sort of...got myself a little white Outback Sport today. It's but a meager 2.5L non-turbo, but I LOVE it. It's much faster than I thought it would be...85mph on-ramps on the edge of drifting RULE! (Luckily I looked for a young-and-bored-looking salesman to do the testdrive with...he was psyched, too...)

I think it was pretty decent deal, too... $17,172 for a 04 before taxes and fees and the 100,000 mile/7yr warranty.

Anyhow, it's a lot faster than my 4-banger 4wd truck was. First order of business will be some racks, Sportworks I suppose, and I'll need a hitch...but I've already been eyeing the intakes, headers, and turbo kits. Actually, the one upgrade I might shoot for right out of the gate here is a short throw shift. That just looks too cool not to have. :) But I suppose I'll have to take it easy on mods to keep my superexpensive warranty intact.

Just what can you change without voiding the warranty, anyhow? I figure an intake might be about all, eh?

MD

mrbigisbudgood

Oct 30, 2001
Charlotte, NC
MikeD said:
Just what can you change without voiding the warranty, anyhow? I figure an intake might be about all, eh?

MD
If you mod a Subaru in any way shape or form, you might as well kiss your warranty goodbye. No joke. Subaru has been very picky about warranty work and have denied several people claims on STOCK vehicles drivetrains for having tires rounded on the edge (sign of hard driving). I've already written mine off, but I also have accepted the fact that I've done multiple things to void it (mods, organized racing).

ibismojo

Monkey
Nov 6, 2001
San Diego
MudGrrl said:
I am holding out for an STI wagon.

Think that will happen?
there have been previous STI's that have come in the wagon flavor (in japan i believe), so i say i'd hope so. fast wagons are awesome, Dodge Magnum anyone?