Quantcast

One for the video geeks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
P.S., that is a great version of one of my favorite Dizzy Gillespie songs, Manteca.

banrider

Monkey
Nov 24, 2004
I really like the effect of the clouds moving and then stopping when the rider is jumping!really nicee!! :D:D:D

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Insight into this brief clip:

A bulk of the heli footage, all but two clips, was shot last year when I kinda sucked at flying, and had a ****ty HV10 on the heli. I've since improved and refined the heli with a better autopilot, mount, etc.

Like Kidwoo said, the ideal scenario is to have a camera operator running the gimbal (180 pan/100 tilt) via remote downlink screen. That way, you can do more three dimensional flight and more interesting camera angles. Like crossing a single track, rising up, then continually tracking the subject. ALL the footage in this vid was shot guessing, with no camera operator. I don't have a camera operator because I don't have a budget. I'm just doing this for fun, for some stupid reason.

RC Heli's are largely used for profit in the realestate and commercial realestate industry, but that's about as boring as it gets. I'd rather shoot low pay/no pay stuff and have more fun.

My heli is kinda unique. Others are doing this, but they aren't portable. I can ride with everything needed on my back. A ten pound heli, 6 batteries, two radios, and a camera, down most moderate singletrack, or up it. Other heli operations can't do this because their heli's are too damn big.

We can kick full size heli's too. As they are too expensive, can't fly super close to riders, are obtrusive, and can't fly through a wooded forest. We can also set up quicker than a cable cam, but can't get as smooth of footage as a cablecam. But cablecam's are 2 dimensional. We fly 3 dimensional.

RC heli footage is cool, but it's still supplementary, and really should only comprise about 20% of the total footage, in my opinion.

Anyway, enough rambling. Hope to shoot more soon. But hopefully in better light, sicker riders (Kidwoo), and a camera operator.
Well you're off to a great start. That vid was awesome!! Very Warren Miller-esque, something lacking in most of the mtb vids out there now. Great soundtrack too.

Welcome to the Monkey and am looking forward to more. Produce a DVD, I'll buy it!

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
kidwoo

i looked into doing this a while back, the best solution i could come up with was as you say a two man team to control the camera/chopper.

for the cameraman i was looking at ways of controlling the camera and the best idea i could come up with was to relay the image to a virtual reality viewer type headset, there are systems available that track the motion of the viewer, so as your head looks left/right etc it will provide an electronic signal which could then operate the servos for the camera..

ill try and see if i can find the site again and message you, it was ages ago i looked at this...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
kidwoo

i looked into doing this a while back, the best solution i could come up with was as you say a two man team to control the camera/chopper.

for the cameraman i was looking at ways of controlling the camera and the best idea i could come up with was to relay the image to a virtual reality viewer type headset, there are systems available that track the motion of the viewer, so as your head looks left/right etc it will provide an electronic signal which could then operate the servos for the camera..

ill try and see if i can find the site again and message you, it was ages ago i looked at this...
See page one...I already posted it.

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
See page one...I already posted it.
i look kinda silly now! :huh:

yeah thats the site i was thinking of

edit: it was actually a different system i was thinking of, the pilot is still controlling the camera via remote control in your video,
i was looking at a headset with a tracker inbuilt so that all the user has to do is move his head and the camera will follow..

similar to this

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/12/24/wii-remote-head-tracking-reveals-untapped-potential-of-remote

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
i look kinda silly now! :huh:

yeah thats the site i was thinking of

edit: it was actually a different system i was thinking of, the pilot is still controlling the camera via remote control in your video,
i was looking at a headset with a tracker inbuilt so that all the user has to do is move his head and the camera will follow..

similar to this

http://arstechnica.com/journals/thumbs.ars/2007/12/24/wii-remote-head-tracking-reveals-untapped-potential-of-remote
Trackhead is a nutjob. He's hiked his entire setup to the tops of mountains to film ski descents......this is in addition to normal backcountry gear. That said, what makes the most sense to me is to provide the smallest total package possible. If that's a smaller volume and weight of crap to take out into the woods, then I'd definitely be interested in it. He probably would too. Hopefully he'll pipe back in. That approach looks pretty neat, but also pretty pricey right?

trackhead

Chimp
May 16, 2008
There are affordable head tracking devices, but currently they are only set up for tiny, non-hdv cams. The aren't needed anyway. With a camera operator, it's quite easy for someone to really peg the subject with ease.

Jul 16, 2007
What type of Heli are you using?I shoot videos and I now need one because of the footage I just saw.That looks great by the way. Let me know .Thanks

Old_Sckool

Monkey
Jun 5, 2007
That is super cool.

Gotta agree with BYO on this one.

I don't want to temper anyones enthusiasm to get something like this going. My brother is really into remote helicopters and learning to fly one is tough. All the physics involve in flying a REAL helicopter apply to the remote heli.

They are expensive as hell and take a LOT of time to learn to fly. Be ready for a hobby that is going to compete massively with your riding. Easily just as expensive if not more so and it's very time consuming during the learning curve.

My brother destroyed his first one in 45 seconds and he had extensive time on RC planes.

Like any skill, some may take right to it. Others may never be proficient at it. But for someone with the talent, this could great for DH riding and racing in general.

Props to Trackhead for pursuing it. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

trackhead

Chimp
May 16, 2008
Oldskool,

Spot on^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've been at it for two years, and really only the past 4-5 months has my success been palpable. I've put thousands of hours into it, and even more money. I've smashed two HDV cams and multiple heli's into little pieces. But I've finally broke even on my monetary investment, and perhaps surpassed it somewhat. But it's a serious pain in the ass. If you're married, you'll get a divorce. If you like to ride, you'll get fat. Or in my case, if your a skier, you'll miss alot of skiing.

It's pretty much a never ending battle and alot of witchcraft to get usable footage devoid of vibrations, etc.

I've got some cool gigs coming up with it that might bring me to Africa and other places. They aren't biking related. Shooting biking is just for fun.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
that was sick. he must be able to pilot that thing pretty well, i've flown one before and keeping them steady up high is not the easiest thing in the world.