Quantcast

One more truck thread.

alexrex20

Chimp
Jun 25, 2010
Spring TX
some people don't need the room. some people want a small truck.

my K2500HD is a regular cab long bed because i like disproportionate trucks. :D

anyway, it's impossible to give you a fair price without seeing the truck. just look it up on KBB and NADA and go from there.

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
some people don't need the room. some people want a small truck.

my K2500HD is a regular cab long bed because i like disproportionate trucks. :D

anyway, it's impossible to give you a fair price without seeing the truck. just look it up on KBB and NADA and go from there.
... and then compare the KBB/NADA numbers to your local CL (for sale by owner) and auto trader

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
the 4.8 and the 5.3 v8's in those trucks has proven to be pretty bomb proof, my 2000 extended cab had 185k on it when I sold it and still ran perfect and used no oil, it was a great truck.

With that low of miles I am guessing it's gonna be 12-15kish, but I never look at regular cabs, and don't know your area, so I have no idea what it's value is near you. There really arent any major "oh no look out for this" problems with those trucks, if you take care of them they will take care of you, and parts are a dime a dozen.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
If you're single and only have 1 friend, a reg cab is fine.
I wouldn't want the short box though.

I had a reg cab long box with a massive canopy. Tons of storage and room for bikes inside and out.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
the "short" box in the regular cab is 6.6' isnt it?
Yes it is, Just shy of getting an MX bike in with the tail gate closed if you want the bike straight.

I am driving a regular cab short box 2wd Tacoma so it is a huge truck compared to what I am used to, and the gas mileage is a big change with the 5300 engine.

Living in the city and driving a truck with a long box or extended cab is just to annoying to me to consider owning one.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Living in the city and driving a truck with a long box or extended cab is just to annoying to me to consider owning one.
a extended cab doesnt really add too much length to the truck. its nice being able to keep stuff inside the cab that you dont want to get wet. plus you can always fit 2 little people back there too.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
a extended cab doesnt really add too much length to the truck. its nice being able to keep stuff inside the cab that you dont want to get wet. plus you can always fit 2 little people back there too.
yellow flag.

wheelbase numbers

Regular Cab Standard and Sportside Box 119.0

Regular Cab Long Box 133.0

Extended Cab Standard and Sportside Box 143.5 (24" seems like it's a fair amount to add doesn't it?)

Extended Cab Long Box 157.5

Crew Cab Short Box 143.5

HD Crew Cab Standard Box 153.0

My old man's 2005 reg cab short box compared to my extended short box truck was a night and day difference in a parking lot.

Last edited:

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Regular Cab Standard and Sportside Box 119.0

Extended Cab Standard and Sportside Box 143.5 (24" seems like it's a fair amount to add doesn't it?)
no, 2' does not seem like a fair amount

IH8Rice doesn't really know what he's talking about, so you have to just ignore him.
when it comes to trucks i do.
when it comes to stupid engine swaps and being a jerkoff from Texas, i am only a student to you professor.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
are you kidding me?

Jump in a jeep wrangler which has a wheelbase of about 94", see what the turning radius is, then jump in a cherokee which is just over 100", compare, then jump in the regular cab which is about 24" longer than the wrangler, compare, and then finally jump in the extended cab. If you don't realize a difference at that point you can't be helped.

Having owned all of the above I can tell you that even my 84 silverado on 39" swampers and a crap turning radius was easier to park than my stock Z71 extended cab and crew cab (with ultra short bed, same wheel base as extended with short bed) to park and manuever, that 24" makes a huge difference.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
are you kidding me?

Jump in a jeep wrangler which has a wheelbase of about 94", see what the turning radius is, then jump in a cherokee which is just over 100", compare, then jump in the regular cab which is about 24" longer than the wrangler, compare, and then finally jump in the extended cab. If you don't realize a difference at that point you can't be helped.

Having owned all of the above I can tell you that even my 84 silverado on 39" swampers and a crap turning radius was easier to park than my stock Z71 extended cab and crew cab (with ultra short bed, same wheel base as extended with short bed) to park and manuever, that 24" makes a huge difference.
fair enough..

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I am driving a regular cab short box 2wd Tacoma so it is a huge truck compared to what I am used to, and the gas mileage is a big change with the 5300 engine.
for reference I was averaging 17 mpg with my 3.42 geared 2000, and 18 mpg with my 3.73 geared 2007 with the v4/v8 cylinder deactivation.

I pulled 23 mpg on an all highway trip with the cruise set at 65 in the 2007 once.

My 92 toyota with 4 cylinder never averaged much better. So you may be pleasently surprised.

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I went from a 1/2 chevy with a short box and an extended cab to my long box dodge. That couple feet makes a HUGE difference. The chevy was sorta OK in parking lots, my dodge is a god damn boat in comparison.

If you want a short box with a standard cab, why not save yourself a bunch of cash and get a 4 or 6 cylinder with a 6 foot bed? Just seems kinda pointless to have a truck that small with a V8, they suck mad gas.